Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

2013 Ford Escape SEL-AWD 2.0L EcoBoost Ride Report/Review

2013 Ford Escape SEL-AWD 2.0L EcoBoost Ride Report/Review

Old Oct 7, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I have gotten only 3 speeding tickets in decades of driving- but I never want another one, and MyKey helps ensure that I don't!

I don't know if it was Titanium trim or not, but it had a double-sunroof (over the back seat, too), a "Powered by Microsoft" video screen, leather seats, an EcoBoost engine (how is turbocharging "eco"?), etc. It was really a great car.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
...how is turbocharging "eco"?
It's a smaller displacement engine, so it essentially does more with less thanks to the turbocharger. Hence why both Ecoboost engines are actually smaller than the base engine, but put out more horsepower and get far better mileage than the previous model's conventional engines.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:54 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
It's a smaller displacement engine, so it essentially does more with less thanks to the turbocharger. Hence why both Ecoboost engines are actually smaller than the base engine, but put out more horsepower and get far better mileage than the previous model's conventional engines.
Even Mercedes S550 has gone this route smaller displacement plus turbo.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
Even Mercedes S550 has gone this route smaller displacement plus turbo.
Everyone's going that route in order to meet the new CAFE standards. Some of the Euro Ford Focuses are using a 1.0L EcoBoost engine.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:14 am

I drove one over a long weekend in Texas two weekends ago. Enjoyed the car - plenty of power, even in 75 mph speed limit areas. Had plenty of room for me at 6'3" and 230 lbs. My only complaint, albeit a somewhat serious one, was the handling during rainstorms. It hydroplaned worse than anything I have ever driven at all speeds, but this may be a function of the tires.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
I've got to admit, I'm still skeptical on the gas mileage issue on these turbo engines. I haven't driven one of the Ford ecoboost engines enough to get a feel for the gas mileage (ok, I've simply test-driven a Ford Edge when I was looking to replace my old Grand Cherokee), but I do have a car currently (Passat) that uses a 1.8T, and while highway mileage is ok, quite honestly, city mileage is not all that impressive (as in, barely better than my 8 cyl Grand Cherokee was in city).

I will say that I was very impressed with the power on the Edge's I4 ecoboost (which I think is the same engine as in the Escape), and in the short time I drove it didn't notice any turbo lag (something I find pretty noticeable in my Passat), and quite honestly, if I hadn't read the sticker, I probably wouldn't have guessed that it had a 4 cyl in it.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by piper28
I've got to admit, I'm still skeptical on the gas mileage issue on these turbo engines. I haven't driven one of the Ford ecoboost engines enough to get a feel for the gas mileage (ok, I've simply test-driven a Ford Edge when I was looking to replace my old Grand Cherokee), but I do have a car currently (Passat) that uses a 1.8T, and while highway mileage is ok, quite honestly, city mileage is not all that impressive (as in, barely better than my 8 cyl Grand Cherokee was in city).

I will say that I was very impressed with the power on the Edge's I4 ecoboost (which I think is the same engine as in the Escape), and in the short time I drove it didn't notice any turbo lag (something I find pretty noticeable in my Passat), and quite honestly, if I hadn't read the sticker, I probably wouldn't have guessed that it had a 4 cyl in it.
I drove an SEL 2.0 Ecoboost for a week, its a great car, lots of torque, no turbo lag but it was not great on gas but its replacing a V6 so was not bad. I think that you get much better gas mileage from the 1.6 ecoboost.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powermax
I drove an SEL 2.0 Ecoboost for a week, its a great car, lots of torque, no turbo lag but it was not great on gas but its replacing a V6 so was not bad. I think that you get much better gas mileage from the 1.6 ecoboost.
IIRC, Car & Driver averaged 27 mpg with the 1.6L Escape. I think Insideline averaged 25 mpg with the EcoBoost equipped Edge.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Drove a nice, cobalt blue SEL from LAS which we had for 5 days and dropped it off at PHX after nearly 800 miles of driving which included a visit to the Grand Canyon.
Have to say that it was a comfortable ride (i'm 6'3") and there was no noticeable lag when giving it a little more gas on the highways. I will attest to the questionable gas mileage though as it seemed to be inconsistent on the long highway journeys averaging 80mph.
Overall I was happy with the experience and would definitely rent one again if available
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Neil791
Drove a nice, cobalt blue SEL from LAS which we had for 5 days and dropped it off at PHX after nearly 800 miles of driving which included a visit to the Grand Canyon.
Have to say that it was a comfortable ride (i'm 6'3") and there was no noticeable lag when giving it a little more gas on the highways. I will attest to the questionable gas mileage though as it seemed to be inconsistent on the long highway journeys averaging 80mph.
Overall I was happy with the experience and would definitely rent one again if available
Ditto, I'm currently driving another cobalt blue SEL and I'm still impressed by the seat quality & comfort, and engine. Will see if I get better gas mileage this time.

Just wishing it had the Titanium package with the Sony Audio; the current audio package is wimpy.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:20 am

Man... I think I must have found the only 2013 Escape SE in the whole fleet when I got mine a month or so ago... EVERYONE on here reports driving SELs and literally every 2013 Escape I see on the road sporting barcodes (which is most of the 2013 Escapes on the road at this point) seems to be an SEL.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:11 pm

Picked up an SEL yesterday at BNA from the midsize aisle. Really enjoying it, has a lot of bell and whistles that come standard on the SEL, including most auto everything, heated seats, panoramic roof (found that out mid-rental), looks good and drives pretty wheel. It's about 4 months old, has just over 3,000 miles and plated in OK.
Really enjoying driving it around TN and KY.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I put about 300 miles of mostly highway driving on an Escape a few weeks ago. I came away kinda iffy about it. My co-workers thought it was a little narrow inside for the length, and while it was reasonably comfortable with bells and whistles, including Ford's superior navigation of the music system from the dashboard, the gas mileage was poor (about 24 mpg) compared to other vehicles of its size - I've routinely gotten 28-30 highway on an Equinox or Terrain 4-cyl FWD.

I wouldn't pass it up, but it wouldn't be my first choice. For a 300-mile day trip on the Interstate, I'd rather give up another 4 mpg and get a Limited trip Edge or Flex, or save another 4 mpg and get an Equinox or Terrain.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
I had an SE at YVR in October. Though it also had leather seats which I didn't know were an option on the SE. Mine had the 1.6L Ecoboost and it did very well on gas. I recall averaging as low as 8.5L/100 km on a few highway stretches (27.8 mpg). Unfortunately I got rear-ended in Surrey but the Escape held up very well; just some damage to the bumper cover and the exhaust pipe got knocked loose. Certainly gave me a good feel for it's safety and it's high on my list when I want to get something safe for Ms. Tuneman.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I'm driving it right now. It's ok, but I'm definitely not impressed. There was a comment above that the handling is too "busy" and I'd agree with that. I initialliy wasn't that comfortable in the seats, but after quite a bit of fiddling and adjustment I found them to be as good as 75% of cars I've rented. Definitely not a "sporty" handling vehicle - my old volvo v70 station wagon handled better. Probably my old Oldsmobile, too. My biggest complaints are some hydroplaning, a definite tendency to torque steer (and then subsequently very twitchy to overcorrect) pulling out of driveways onto the Texas "frontage freeways", below average traction, and some unsure footing over bumps (truth be told I've never been an SUV person, but I think a fair amount of that could be improved with better tires). Gas mileage has been extremely unimpressive. Has given me comparable or worse mileage to my sedan at home with a 3.5 liter v6 which is just as heavy but a whole lot more fun. It was still probably a better choice than one of the ten Chrysler minivans in the ES at IAH on Monday

It was perfectly adequate. Not particularly fun (more because of the handling than the acceleration). Wondering where the mileage savings from the 4 cylinder are. Can't help but think what could be if this thing had a lower center of gravity and better tires. Ford Fusion turbo wagon anyone?

Edited to add: the touch screen still sucks. I have to navigate to switch it back to bluetooth audio streaming from my phone every time I get back in the car which either means pressing the touch screen several times until it registers my touch, delicately pressing using my fingernails, or hitting the source button about twenty-seven thousand times until it scrolls back past all the FM categories, all the XM categories, all the other inputs, and on and on and on. Navigating to anything else lacking a button (such as incredibly common things like radio / XM presets) is still nauseatingly aggrivating.

The instrument cluster display has been simplified quite a bit since the previous mytouch display I used, though. I do like that improvement. And they are getting better at undoing the touch screen by bringing back more buttons with tactile feedback, even if they are anonymously shaped. Bringing back the preset buttons and a button for each audio source (or knob to dial between them) would make the system a whole lot better. Duh - it would be back to what worked The on-steering wheel buttons were easy to use. The myriad of buttons extending behind the steering wheel is a bit much though.

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Dec 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.