Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > National | Emerald Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 25, 12, 5:51 pm   #1

CHS Charleston Cars

I am currently an Executive Member with National. I have a reservation for pickup late Saturday. I of course reserved a Full Size but was hoping to pick a better car for my free upgrade.

Anyone have experience with this location? Do they assign the car before I show up? I have a reservation with Avis also for a Standard SUV for only $3.55 more so debating on just going with that.

Appreciate any insights.
nicemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 12, 7:19 pm   #2

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemann View Post
I am currently an Executive Member with National. I have a reservation for pickup late Saturday. I of course reserved a Full Size but was hoping to pick a better car for my free upgrade.

Anyone have experience with this location? Do they assign the car before I show up? I have a reservation with Avis also for a Standard SUV for only $3.55 more so debating on just going with that.

Appreciate any insights.
It is a small location and they usually ask you to pick a car from the car class reserved. Since you are Executive, you pay midsize price for the full size vehicle, so that is your upgrade. You will probably be offered an Impala, Fusion, Charger, or Camry. If you run into a real nice one, you might be upgraded beyond that. If you want the SUV, your best bet would be to go with Avis because the odds are slim of getting a SUV at CHS.
sanctified50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 12, 7:39 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified50 View Post
It is a small location and they usually ask you to pick a car from the car class reserved. Since you are Executive, you pay midsize price for the full size vehicle, so that is your upgrade. You will probably be offered an Impala, Fusion, Charger, or Camry. If you run into a real nice one, you might be upgraded beyond that. If you want the SUV, your best bet would be to go with Avis because the odds are slim of getting a SUV at CHS.
Appreciate your help. Thank you
Old Apr 25, 12, 7:44 pm   #4
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I rent the car at Columbia, SC for Masters game.
I was also the executive member and my car(preassigned) was just the car class we reserved.
I asked SUV or minivan, and told there will be a extra charge.
Finally, I got a largest full size car available without surcharge.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 12, 8:13 am   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I rent the car at Columbia, SC for Masters game.
I was also the executive member and my car(preassigned) was just the car class we reserved.
I asked SUV or minivan, and told there will be a extra charge.
Finally, I got a largest full size car available without surcharge.
I know CHS is a little bigger then Columbia's airport but I am worried they will also preassign. I think I will just go with Avis. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Apr 26, 12, 8:31 am   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat/million, AA 1 mil, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Quote:
I know CHS is a little bigger then Columbia's airport but I am worried they will also preassign.
Of course they will pre-assign: CHS isn't an Emerald Aisle location. There is a list of US/Canadian airports with EA 'choose your own car' service.

https://www.nationalcar.com/index.do...withnav-header

If I don't like the assignment I'll ask for something different. I'm not the least bit shy that way.
3Cforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 12, 2:25 pm   #7

Quote:
I know CHS is a little bigger then Columbia's airport but I am worried they will also preassign. I think I will just go with Avis. Thanks for the heads up.
I've never noticed that link before to see what locations has the aisle. That makes it final I will go to Avis. Thanks again!!
Old Apr 30, 12, 11:05 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT/MM, WN A+, HY Dia
I rented on Saturday morning. I had a FCAR reservation, and was offered a bunch of Standard or Intermediate SUVs, a Hyundai Santa Fe, a Nissan Murano, and a Ford Escape.

I took the Hyundai Santa Fe, which was my third straight rental of one in the last month at three different locations (BNA, SEA, now CHS). Even in the 2WD version, I definitely prefer it over any of the FCARs and even some of the PCARs.
ElmhurstNick is offline   Reply With Quote