Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > National | Emerald Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 25, 12, 10:51 pm   #1

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS Ride Report/Review

http://carrentingreviews.com/2012/02...ai-sonata-gls/

Some new changes for 2012; Hyundai Bluelink, slightly improved fuel economy.

Also, EHI classifies the Sonata as an FCAR, no longer an SCAR.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Mar 2, 12 at 8:03 pm.
drzoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 12, 8:27 am   #2

Programs: AA, BA, AC, CO, SPG, National, Hertz
Was that color Iridescent Blue Metallic? Had one of those a few weeks ago and it's a really premium looking color for a family sedan.

I was impressed with the interior of the Sonata. Nice variety of textures and really high quality switchgear. Also, Having Sirius and ipod connectivity in a base model is a nice touch.
xienon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 12, 12:29 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xienon View Post
Was that color Iridescent Blue Metallic? Had one of those a few weeks ago and it's a really premium looking color for a family sedan.

I was impressed with the interior of the Sonata. Nice variety of textures and really high quality switchgear. Also, Having Sirius and ipod connectivity in a base model is a nice touch.
One aspect that's great about Kias/Hyundais is that a USB input is standard, even on sub-compacts like the Rio/Accent.

And yes, it was Iridescent Blue Metallic!

Last edited by drzoidberg; Feb 26, 12 at 12:37 pm.
Old Feb 28, 12, 3:25 pm   #4

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
A year ago I moved to Texas from NYC. I planned on buying a mazda3 because that is what I drove with zipcar in NYC.

I had no car when I got here so I rented from Avis. The clerk shows me the car - a Hyundai Sonata - I tell her I don't want some hyundai crap - I want a fullsize car. Mind you I am a very large person - she said you will love the car - if you hate it come back and we will swap. I said fine.

2 months later, I bought my brand new hyundai sonata and absolutely love it. My favorite car alltime is still my 2000 Jetta because it handled a bit more sporty, but the Sonata is just awesome - for the price no one can touch the features.
allen074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 12, 4:29 pm   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen074 View Post
A year ago I moved to Texas from NYC. I planned on buying a mazda3 because that is what I drove with zipcar in NYC.

I had no car when I got here so I rented from Avis. The clerk shows me the car - a Hyundai Sonata - I tell her I don't want some hyundai crap - I want a fullsize car. Mind you I am a very large person - she said you will love the car - if you hate it come back and we will swap. I said fine.

2 months later, I bought my brand new hyundai sonata and absolutely love it. My favorite car alltime is still my 2000 Jetta because it handled a bit more sporty, but the Sonata is just awesome - for the price no one can touch the features.
I assume you're ok with the light steering? That aspect really bugged me.
Old Feb 28, 12, 4:45 pm   #6

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoidberg View Post
I assume you're ok with the light steering? That aspect really bugged me.
Hmm, it is definitely not as strong in steering as the Jetta was but I guess it feels fine. Maybe I will get some other car from National this weekend and then I can give you a better reply.

What I like is that as a huge guy, the car is so roomy and people can still sit in the back seat.
allen074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 12, 9:14 pm   #7

I have a 2013 Sonata right now, and I can't find a single thing that has changed from 2012.

I like the car overall, though it is a bit basic for my tastes, however the steering is annoying... To put it nicely. I would still take it over an Impala though..
Coastercameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 12, 9:29 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastercameron View Post
I have a 2013 Sonata right now, and I can't find a single thing that has changed from 2012.

I like the car overall, though it is a bit basic for my tastes, however the steering is annoying... To put it nicely. I would still take it over an Impala though..
What about versus a Malibu?
Old Jun 19, 12, 9:53 pm   #9

I don't like malibu's just on principle that it is the same class as the much larger impala. So no...
Coastercameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 12, 7:52 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat/million, AA 1 mil, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastercameron View Post
On the GLS automatic trans., the typical Sonata fleet buy for National, I don't believe there are any changes for MY2013.

I prefer Sonatas to Malibus. I can better accept the Sonata's move from standard to full than I can for Malibu (which falls far short of Sonata in space and 4-cylinder power).
3Cforme is offline   Reply With Quote