Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > National | Emerald Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 20, 12, 4:03 pm   #1

Programs: US CP/*G
Extra Driver Fee

Anyone have any current information regarding the extra driver fee. I reserved a car using Egencia, and it seems to have a contract ID associated with it. (No idea if this a corporate code or a generic expedia/egencia one)

According to this link there is no fee for a coworker to drive.

https://www.nationalcar.com/index.do...nalEC-benefits

Does this benefit require a corprate code? It sounds like any rental family or coworker would be covered.

Does the additional driver need to be added at time of rental? I called reservations and they told me it was $9/day for extra driver.

This page as a bit different verbiage

https://nationalcar.custhelp.com/app...tail/a_id/2171

Last edited by ellinj; Jan 20, 12 at 4:10 pm.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 12, 6:33 pm   #2
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

From my understanding, if you are an Emerald Club member family members (defined as those whose address on their driver's license is the same as yours) are entitled to drive the car without specifically being added as additional driver at no charge. The same for people who work for the same company as you on work rentals - what I'm not sure of is if you need to be renting on your official corporate code for this.
peteropny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 12, 6:49 pm   #3

former egencia...

As a former egencia employee I would speculate, based on my coding and 'account setup' experience that the code used "is" a corporate code, specific to your employer. I would be shocked if it is a general expedia/egencia type code...shocked.

Specific to the corporate codes you would likely need to call National to get into the fine print and/or cozy up with your the person that manages your corporate travel contracts to define the 'extra driver rules'.
Each can be different however, it is rather common that corp.codes allow for extra driver at no-charge if they are co-workers and/or are immediate family with same residential address.

In short though, don't assume an immediate family member is covered - be certain - or assume they are NOT covered.
underceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 12, 11:44 am   #4

Called National, they told me they don't disclose this information to individual employees and I should ask my travel manager. I asked her and she doesn't know and recommends I use Hertz.

Guess the experiment with Emerald Executive is a failure and I'll go back to five star.
Old Jan 21, 12, 12:34 pm   #5

...not to beat this into the ground but, one more response.

Depending on the size of your company the "travel manager" may/may not be of title or authority to sign the contract. Although, most times they are the keeper of the copies. It seems bewildering that a TM would say they don't know, or not have a copy.
My point is, if the TM says they don't know, which might suggest they are:
1. Either in an administrative, non-authoritive role
-or-
2. ...not wanting to share the details of the contract for some reason.

If #1 - Who is the TM's boss, signer of the contract or Procurement contact person? Even if they can not supply a copy of the agreement they may be likely to read, or copy/paste the answers.
. . . .somewhere, there is a copy of that contract - derrrrrrr.

Otherwise, back to HERTZ.

-strange, very odd response by the Travel Manager.
underceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 12, 12:36 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by underceej View Post
...not to beat this into the ground but, one more response.

Depending on the size of your company the "travel manager" may/may not be of title or authority to sign the contract. Although, most times they are the keeper of the copies. It seems bewildering that a TM would say they don't know, or not have a copy.
My point is, if the TM says they don't know, which might suggest they are:
1. Either in an administrative, non-authoritive role
-or-
2. ...not wanting to share the details of the contract for some reason.

If #1 - Who is the TM's boss, signer of the contract or Procurement contact person? Even if they can not supply a copy of the agreement they may be likely to read, or copy/paste the answers.
. . . .somewhere, there is a copy of that contract - derrrrrrr.

Otherwise, back to HERTZ.

-strange, very odd response by the Travel Manager.

More then likely she doesn't care and its easier to say use hertz. We are a small company <100 employees, my guess is that someone in finance worked on the contracts. The person responsible for managing our Egencia account is really just in an admin role. Also as a side note within Egencia, National frequently comes up cheaper, and shows an icon indicating a preferred vendor.

Whats dumb is that at some point someone has to be able to tell me at National. If I walk up to the counter with a coworker and ask if I need to pay for him to drive, they should have a way of determining that without guessing.
Old Jan 21, 12, 12:54 pm   #7

Programs: Won't belong to any club that'll have me as a member
On my most recent National rental, which was for personal travel with a friend/former co-worker, the counter agent at BUR asked if we worked for the same company and my friend volunteered, "Well, we used to."

We were not charged for an additional driver.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.
trainman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 12, 3:38 pm   #8

Programs: IC Plat Amb, Kimpton Inner Circle, BW Diamond
The Emerald Club Master Rental Agreement definition of an authorized driver specifically includes "your business associate or employer who drives the vehicle for business purposes". There is nothing indicating that it must be on a corporate rate. I think mentioning the corporate code may have just confused the issue when contacting National. They should be able to explain the additional driver benefits of EC pretty simply.

http://www.nationalcar.com/national/...ve-3102011.pdf
cjk177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 12, 4:06 pm   #9

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I don't think the corp rate has anything to do with it. Have had no problem having coworkers driving w/ continental or sam's club rates. We do both have company credit cards on our emerald club profiles - and I'd only do it that way because then there shouldn't be any fighting between credit card companies over whose credit card should provide extended insurance benefits in the event of an accident.
elCheapoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 12, 7:52 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjk177 View Post
The Emerald Club Master Rental Agreement definition of an authorized driver specifically includes "your business associate or employer who drives the vehicle for business purposes". There is nothing indicating that it must be on a corporate rate. I think mentioning the corporate code may have just confused the issue when contacting National. They should be able to explain the additional driver benefits of EC pretty simply.

http://www.nationalcar.com/national/...ve-3102011.pdf
Here is the relevant section, what isn't clear to me is if this additional driver must be declared at time of rental.

Quote:
Who May Drive the Vehicle - Authorized Driver
a) You represent that you are a validly licensed driver for the type of Vehicle being rented, at least
21 years of age (an Underage Primary Driver Fee will apply for drivers under age 25). National may
verify that your license is valid issued and in good standing.
b) Unless applicable law requires otherwise, the Vehicle may only be driven by you or an Additional
Authorized Driver. An "Additional Authorized Driver" is an individual who (i) is a validly licensed
driver for the type of Vehicle being rented, (ii) is at least 21 years of age (an extra fee may apply for
drivers under age 25), (iii) has your prior permission to drive the Vehicle, and (iv) is either a
member of your immediate family who permanently resides with you, or your business associate or
employer who drives the Vehicle for business purposes. Your immediate family members includes
your parent, child, spouse or a domestic partner. In addition to the above, Additional Authorized
Drivers who otherwise meet National's qualifications can be added at the time of rental. The
Additional Authorized Drivers and you are referred to collectively in the Agreement as Authorized
Driver(s).