Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

New to National; what's a "premium" and a couple of other questions

Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Change in jobs means a change in car rental companies that my company has decent contract rates with. I now find that National is a hundred bucks or so per week cheaper than Hertz for a Premium class. First question: what should I expect to find waiting for me as a "premium" at MIA? This will be my first ever rental from National, so I'll be the basest of Emerald Club base.

Second, do I look for a car in the Emerald Aisle, or will there be a predetermined car waiting for me a la Hertz? I'd assume that renting a "standard" would lead me to choose between the Imapas et al. waiting in the aisle, whereas a premium reservation would mean a particular car in a particular parking space, but wanted to confirm.

Finally, I know that my wife can be an additional driver at no additional cost, but does that mean that she's automatically an additional driver with no further action, or do we still need to go to the counter and add her, it just won't cost me anything?

Sorry for newbie questions, but many thanks for any help!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:40 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Change in jobs means a change in car rental companies that my company has decent contract rates with. I now find that National is a hundred bucks or so per week cheaper than Hertz for a Premium class. First question: what should I expect to find waiting for me as a "premium" at MIA? This will be my first ever rental from National, so I'll be the basest of Emerald Club base.

You have 2 options: rent Premium, take from Emerald Reserve (Premium), or rent Midsize, take from the Emerald Aisle. Emerald Club basically allows you to book a midsize and take anything they have on the Emerald Aisle (could be an Impala, Escape, Malibu...whatever they put out that day). Check the "Cars at MIA" thread to see what kinds of cars show up there. Premium at National is generally a Grand Marquis/Crown Vic, Lacrosse, or Regal.

Second, do I look for a car in the Emerald Aisle, or will there be a predetermined car waiting for me a la Hertz? I'd assume that renting a "standard" would lead me to choose between the Imapas et al. waiting in the aisle, whereas a premium reservation would mean a particular car in a particular parking space, but wanted to confirm.

See above. If you reserve a midsize, you take from Emerald Aisle. If you reserve Premium, take from the Emerald Reserve premium selection. There will not be a specific car waiting for you.

Finally, I know that my wife can be an additional driver at no additional cost, but does that mean that she's automatically an additional driver with no further action, or do we still need to go to the counter and add her, it just won't cost me anything?

You will need to have the booth add her, it's not "automatic" by any means.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:53 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by dwbf11

You will need to have the booth add her, it's not "automatic" by any means.
Actually you don't need to specifically add her - Emerald Club members' family members (defined as those with the same address on driver's licenses) are automatically allowed as additional drivers (also on corporate rentals - co-workers who work for the same company are allowed). There are some "special" instances where you might want to specifically add these as authorized drivers (eg Insurance from some credit cards etc).

Another typical "Premium" car is a Chrysler 300.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
Actually you don't need to specifically add her - Emerald Club members' family members (defined as those with the same address on driver's licenses) are automatically allowed as additional drivers (also on corporate rentals - co-workers who work for the same company are allowed). There are some "special" instances where you might want to specifically add these as authorized drivers (eg Insurance from some credit cards etc).

Another typical "Premium" car is a Chrysler 300.
That's not what I was told when I asked about this last time it came up - I wanted to add a co-driver family member with same address who was not physically with me at the time of pick up (had to drive back to terminal to pick them up w/luggage). I was told I would have to come back with them so National could enter their data from the license. But I suppose YMMV on that one?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
That's not what I was told when I asked about this last time it came up - I wanted to add a co-driver family member with same address who was not physically with me at the time of pick up (had to drive back to terminal to pick them up w/luggage). I was told I would have to come back with them so National could enter their data from the license. But I suppose YMMV on that one?
Excerpted from the Emerald Club Master Agreement (section 3, part B):

...[T]he Vehicle may only be driven by you or an Additional Authorized Driver. An "Additional Authorized Driver" is an individual who...is either a member of your immediate family who permanently resides with you, or a fellow employee who drives the Vehicle for business purposes....Your immediate family members includes your parent, child, spouse or a domestic partner. In addition to the above, Additional Authorized Drivers who otherwise meet Nationals qualifications can be added at the time of rental.

I read that as saying that immediate family members don't need to be added at the time of rental (or at any other time) because they're automatically authorized to drive the vehicle you rented; it's only people who are neither immediate family members nor co-workers who need to specifically be added to the contract.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

I just spoke with a nice fellow at National customer service who confirmed that anyone who meets the criteria - i.e. immediate family member whose driver's license shows they reside at the same address as the primary renter and who otherwise meets the rental qualifications - is automatically an additional approved driver, and that I do not need to go to the counter. I guess if my wife gets into an accident they could always try to backtrack, but I'm going to trust them for now.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: IC Plat Amb, Kimpton Inner Circle, BW Diamond
You have 2 options: rent Premium, take from Emerald Reserve (Premium), or rent Midsize, take from the Emerald Aisle.

See above. If you reserve a midsize, you take from Emerald Aisle. If you reserve Premium, take from the Emerald Reserve premium selection. There will not be a specific car waiting for you.
This is somewhat misleading. If you book midsize or higher you can take from the aisle or the "reserve" section you reserved. So if you reserve premium (I assume that's the default for your employer) you can take from the aisle or the premium section, whatever car you like the best
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by cjk177
This is somewhat misleading. If you book midsize or higher you can take from the aisle or the "reserve" section you reserved. So if you reserve premium (I assume that's the default for your employer) you can take from the aisle or the premium section, whatever car you like the best
Actually that's not true.

I will repost this here for reference...taken from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...but-where.html

Emerald Club Members

Reserve ECONOMY. Pay ECONOMY. Choose ER-ECONOMY.
Reserve COMPACT. Pay COMPACT. Choose ER-COMPACT.
Reserve MIDSIZE. Pay MIDSIZE. Choose EA or ER-MIDSIZE.
Reserve STANDARD. Pay STANDARD. Choose ER-STANDARD.
Reserve FULLSIZE. Pay FULLSIZE. Choose ER-FULLSIZE.
Reserve PREMIUM. Pay PREMIUM. Choose ER-PREMIUM.
Reserve LUXURY. Pay LUXURY. Choose ER-LUXURY.

Executive/Executive Elite

Reserve ECONOMY. Pay ECONOMY. Choose ER-ECONOMY.
Reserve COMPACT. Pay COMPACT. Choose ER-COMPACT.
Reserve MIDSIZE. Pay MIDSIZE. Choose ES, EA or ER-MIDSIZE.
Reserve STANDARD. Pay MIDSIZE. Choose ES, EA or ER-STANDARD.
Reserve FULLSIZE. Pay MIDSIZE. Choose ES, EA or ER-FULLSIZE.
Reserve PREMIUM. Pay FULLSIZE. Choose ES, EA or ER-PREMIUM.
Reserve LUXURY. Pay PREMIUM. Choose ES, EA or ER-LUXURY.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:13 am

Actually that's not true.
Perhaps I'm crazy, but there are plenty of reports here that indicate otherwise. I'd be interested to hear of an EC member who was denied an EA car on a Premium res.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by cjk177
Perhaps I'm crazy, but there are plenty of reports here that indicate otherwise. I'd be interested to hear of an EC member who was denied an EA car on a Premium res.
I think it's a case of YMMV. Consider this scenario: you're an EC (base) member, reserve a premium, and find a luxury on the EA. You drive it to the booth, the attendant scans the barcode on the window, and since you don't have an Aisle reservation, the computer ups you to the Luxury rate and the attendant doesn't notice/say anything.

Generally speaking, all it takes is saying "Hey, I have a PCAR reservation, but I found this better car on the EA, is that OK?" and 99.9% of the time it is. But better to ask than be the 1 out of 100 test case.

(That said, I always ask one specific question when I check out a car: "Can you confirm my total for the reservation?" That prevents pretty much any surprise before you leave the lot.)
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:39 am

Okay, I agree it's best to ask if an employee is close by (which they seem to be most of the time). I absolutely agree with confirming everything at the gate before driving away!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.