Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Cars at KOA (Kona International Airport, Hawaii)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at KOA (Kona International Airport, Hawaii)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:34 am

At turn-in on Sunday afternoon at noonish, EA contained: one (1) Chrysler 200. It's worth noting that this is now a station without a separate ES aisle, so if you're looking to get into a car and go, that's your option.

Also, in front of me in line was an Explorer Limited (I guess they get them occasionally after all), behind me was a brand-new Fusion, and lined up along the wall were a handful of shiny 300s, so they do have some decent vehicles, just don't expect to find them in the aisle.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:05 am
EEE

Programs: UA Gold
No ES aisle? Did they stop designating the row against the front fence as ES? That's unfortunate...
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:29 pm

I did not see this location on the list to have the EA does it still have one? Also if so anyone been there recently and remember which cars they saw?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
4/12
Counter Service

EA (No signs of ES anywhere)
-5X 200's
-3X Impala
-1X Mazda3
-1X Tucson

It was interesting to see that each class only had one model to choose
ICAR: Mazda3
SCAR: 200
FCAR: Impala
PCAR: 300 (extremely hesitant to release)
IFAR: Captiva (One Tucson was the exception)
SFAR: Endeavor
PGAR: Traverse
MVAR: Town & Country

No Jeeps....no convertibles

Ended up walking away with a Captiva LTZ with 16k...traded at Waikoloa for a Mustang convertible with 4k, but the Sirius is on preview only.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Alaska737890
4/12
Ended up walking away with a Captiva LTZ with 16k...traded at Waikoloa for a Mustang convertible with 4k, but the Sirius is on preview only.
No Sirius signal in Hawaii.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA G, Marriott PlatPrem
Yep, they completely rearranged the lot from when i was here a couple months ago. EA only.

Selection 4/27 was not too shabby. Of course a couple Impalas and Malibus, a couple Chevy Traverses, and I snagged a nice brand-new Fusion Hybrid. ^
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
FYI, for those unaware, this location has moved to the end of the rental car road opposite Alamo and now shares a site (and shuttle) with Enterprise.

Larger lot, but the selection can still be sparse depending on your travel dates. I had an Emerald Reserve booking so I didn't have a close look at the EA/ES last week, but a quick glance indicated some very basic selections - ie Impala, Malibu, Altima, etc
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:56 pm
EEE

I rented out of here last night, keeping it for three days. Sadly, my employer A) didn't attach my Emerald number and B) booked me into an economy car. I asked about upgrading, but they made noises about having to delete the entire reservation and make a new one, and I got bad vibes about trusting them not to screw something up, so I decided it was safer to just not have them touch it. They had two options (some Chevy and a Nissan Versa). I initially went for the Chevy, but it smelled smoky inside, so I grabbed the Nissan instead. Eh. It's a generic economy car.

I will say that I'm less than thrilled with the new operation. Some of the people seem new and didn't know how to do basic things like attach my Emerald number to the reservation. Also, in the past when it's looked difficult for me to pay for an upgrade, this location has actually been very good about just letting me grab something off the aisle anyway. This time, not even a hint of it from the manager who came over to help the agent. If I couldn't pay the extra five bucks a day, I was gonna park my ... in a tin can When you're tossing them at least a few grand of business every year, you'd think they could toss you an Impala bone every now and then...
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:11 am
EEE

Both good and bad outcomes to this rental...

Good: Tropical storm Flossie royally hosed my travel plans, so I changed my travel to fly out of Hilo on United. I called up the Kona office and spoke with them, and they changed my contract to a Hilo drop pretty painlessly and without adding a drop fee. Switching in the lot (see previous post) didn't get updated on my record, so they also had to straighten out that I had a different car. (Not sure if I would have gotten a drop fee anyway - I priced out a new contract for Kona-Hilo and it didn't have a fee included.)

Bad: I dropped the car at Hilo, and for the second time in a week, a National office got on me for a minor ding. And for the second time in a week, I pulled out my phone to show them a picture demonstrating that the ding was preexisting. Come on, National - if it's bad enough that you're going to get after me about it, then it's bad enough for you to fix or mark as preexisting.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Emerald Aisle:
Chevy Volt
Chevy Malibu
Ford Taurus
Jeep Compass
Buick Enclave

Non-Emerald Aisle
Chevy Tahoe
Jeep Wrangler
Ford Mustang

Horrible selection should of went with Avis first where there were several BMW 5 series available
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:05 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
National is carrying Volts in the fleet? That's very good news.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:11 am

And on the Emerald Aisle?! Too much to hope for a bmw i3 on the EA?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by dwbf11
National is carrying Volts in the fleet? That's very good news.
Yes, however I wouldn't recommend the Volt on Hawaii. I took it thinking it would offer me great gas mileage but I was wrong. It was more of a headache than anything else. You can only get about 30 miles on a full charge before switching over to gas. Not all charging stations are free on the Big Island, and charging at a hotel requires a fob from valet. On top of that the car itself couldn't handle the roads in Hawaii. It struggled to go up hill and then when it made it up the hill it kept screaming Propulsion Power Reduced even in mountain mode.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: USAIR Platinum, National EA
Picked up yesterday 11/9 around 7pm. Was greeted in the EA area. Choices were a base 4cyl chevy captiva, 2 door wrangler hardtop, 2014 impala 2lt and a 2014 Buick lacrosse with 1800 miles that I took. The wrangler was snagged before I could get there ( I probably would not have taken it anyway) an older couple came after us and the greeter said just the two of you, how about a mustang convertible. We are on our honeymoon here and my new wife said something and the greeter said these are the only car choices available.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
any updates on the emerald aisle and exec selection at KOA lately? headed there in a few weeks, not sure whether to roll dice on the EA or try to secure the sure thing for a little more $$.

ideally would like a small SUV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.