Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Cars at KOA (Kona International Airport, Hawaii)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:21 pm
EEE

Programs: UA Gold
I rented a mid size out of Hilo for a return to Kona, and got the most boring high-mileage Impala they had. On my return at 9 AM, there were a Charger and Altima on the EA and a very lonely minivan on ES. Both cars disappeared while I was waiting for the shuttle.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum

9/8 at 10am. EA had a lonely impala while ES had a Malibu along with an impala. When returning at 5:30 pm EA had an impala and ES had explorers and a Malibu. Pretty disappointing location.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, HHonors Gold
Anyone know what they have in their standard suv pool at KOA?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 8:06 pm
EEE

I've gotten Grand Cherokees and Explorers on the ES there. You also have decent odds of seeing a Jeep Wrangler. Not sure what you get if you actually book an SUV, as I've never done it.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Arrived last Tuesday to find one convertible and a Malibu....finally a convertible, but of course when I didn't want one

The station team (who is mostly great) worked hard to find me a 4x4 that would work, but nothing was available...finally took a small chevy SUV (not 4x4 or AWD) which I was able to swap at Waikoloa for a Grand Cherokee.

It is very hard reserving a 4x4 here as the only online option is a Wrangler (which we don't want) and none of the SUV options will actually guarantee a SUV with 4x4 capability.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by cb1180
Anyone know what they have in their standard suv pool at KOA?
cb, did you ever make this reservation? And if so, what did you receive? Just booked an SUV for January and am wondering whether I'll have to fight for AWD - and also whether I could skate by reserving a Premium and ending up with an SUV regardless.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA G, Marriott PlatPrem
Popping over to KOA for a week next month, and was curious if anyone had some experience with the likelihood of seeing a SUV on the ES that will comfortably seat 4 adults?

I guess if this doesn't work out I have a (pricey) 4-door wrangler reserved on the alamo side just in case...?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by pbearmedic
Popping over to KOA for a week next month, and was curious if anyone had some experience with the likelihood of seeing a SUV on the ES that will comfortably seat 4 adults?

I guess if this doesn't work out I have a (pricey) 4-door wrangler reserved on the alamo side just in case...?
Was there on 11/21 and this is what I saw:
ES:
2 Jeep Compass (someone took one as I was leaving)
2 Grand Caravans (took one and dropped in Hilo)
1 Sebring Convertible

EA:
Usual suspects + 1 Sebring convertible (nothing big)
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:44 pm
EEE

I just passed through. The EA had 5 Impalas/Malibus (didn't stop to sort them out) and a Sonata. The ES had three cars of some type, two SUVs, and a convertible. Sadly, work booked me into economy car, so I wasn't able to grab the convertible. They at least let me grab the Sonata off the EA though. Another reason why I keep sticking with National! ^
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:27 am

If I remember correctly, yesterday the ES aisle had 2 liberties, 2 grand Cherokees, and 1 Chrysler 200 convertible. There was a paperwork mixup that I went back to fix a few hours later. They put the same type of convertible in the spot after I originally left.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:10 am

Fingers crossed for something good, but it seems like there is a pretty decent chance of a full-size SUV on the ES for me next week :-)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:08 pm

When I returned my vehicle last night, the ES had only three vehicles: a Dodge Grand Caravan, and what appeared to be a Malibu and Impala. However, in the EA, there were the usual suspects, but also a small pickup truck.....I think it could have been a Toyota Tacoma.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:03 pm

Arrived on evening Dec 11th. ES had 3 Jeep Patriots and 3 Impalas. One of the patriots was being driven off. Not sure about EA.

Walked inside and spoke to counter dude who was really friendly and offered to give me an absolutely brand new 2013 Ford Escape. I would've taken it but I was really hoping for something with a better 4x4 system for the beach.

Walked across the street to Alamo and picked up a 4-door Wrangler
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:05 pm

Today stopped by KOA and the ES has disappeared... apparently now merged with the EA for the post-Christmas high season week. All sedans... I saw some 200s, malibus, and Altimas. I drove off in the last Fusion, 19K miles.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:26 am

I think this qualifies as "high season", given the January date and the golf tournament this week (I wonder if the lady holding the chauffeur sign for "Jay Haas" knew who she was driving). 7pm on Sunday, EA contained: 1x Sonata, 1x Dodge Charger. Yikes.

I'd reserved a mid-size SUV, and was offered (no aisle for SUVs, just counter service) one of several GMC Acadias, or a 2013 Santa Fe, which I took. I asked about a Grand Cherokee or an Explorer, was told "Gosh, we haven't seen one of those in a long time; I wish they'd take it off the website."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.