Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Cars at KOA (Kona International Airport, Hawaii)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at KOA (Kona International Airport, Hawaii)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by soap_bubbles
I am an Emerald Executive Elite. At KOA location, can I pick up a 7 or 8 seat minivan from Emerald (or EE) Aisle, even though I made reservation for an Intermediate car?
Does any one knows about this location well?
Or should I contact National Emerald Club by email to upgrade me to an 7/8 seat minivan? Will they do that?

As far as I am aware, National will put the nicer cars it has on thr Aisle. This could mean cars in your actual Mid-Size class, or better. There are no guarantees that you will get anything but the car type you reserved. They could have 6 seat minivans, single row SUVs, Pickups, etc on the Aisle, and no minivans.

If you need the 7/8 seat minivan, by all means reserve that car. I assume you will have 7 butts which need 7 seats? Would be pretty rough to end up with a car which only seats 5, all cramped together.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by soap_bubbles
I am an Emerald Executive Elite. At KOA location, can I pick up a 7 or 8 seat minivan from Emerald (or EE) Aisle, even though I made reservation for an Intermediate car?
Does any one knows about this location well?
Or should I contact National Emerald Club by email to upgrade me to an 7/8 seat minivan? Will they do that?
No.

Book what you need. If there's a high demand for minivans when you're booking, there will be none on the aisle. National are in the business to make money.

Ron.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:00 pm
EEE

Programs: UA Gold
I don't think I've ever seen a minivan on either aisle there. Best you might hope for is a Grand Cherokee or something, but that is by no means guaranteed.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:27 am
EEE

I picked up a car yesterday, and across both aisles, I was able to choose an Impala in any color I wanted. (I opted for silver with a sunroof.)

They also had a Malibu, a Mazda S6, and a Nissan Altima. None were more appealing than the irony of driving around with a sunroof in Waimea...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:51 pm
EEE

I flew through again on Friday afternoon, and the selection was really good. I didn't take the time to check names on everything, but EA had two Impalas and an SUV, while ES had two SUVs, a couple of cars, and pair of Mustang convertibles.

I decided it was a good day to work on my tan. Besides, driving a convertible around Waimea is even more ironic than just having a sunroof...
Old May 6, 2012, 7:55 pm
EEE

This time, EA had 2 Impalas while ES had four more (a couple with sunroofs), plus an Escape. I went for the Escape (Sirius, leather seats, 4100 miles).

I didn't think to check the selection when I returned it the next day.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
Emerald Isle had Impalas, exec had more Impalas and an Altima last week when we arrived.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by NewMexFlyer
Emerald Isle had Impalas, exec had more Impalas and an Altima last week when we arrived.
Any updates? Wondering what to expect next week on the Executive Aisle.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:12 pm
EEE

I just arrived a few days ago, and found pretty much the same thing. Lots of Impalas, an Altima, and a Charger with no special features. I went with the Charger, just as a change of pace. I had good luck with SUVs and convertibles in April-May, though.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Arrived July 4th - the "aisle" had one Impala and one Malibu and I was offered a choice of either. I asked for something else and was told with a snarky attitude, I could take the Impala or Malibu.

When I protested, I was offered a convertible, but we didn't want one, so ultimately ended up taking the Malibu. There was a 300 parked against the fence which I requested - I was told that car was being held for someone.

When I went back on July 6 to find something new, the lot was still empty - and you guessed it - that 300 was still sitting against the fence.

When I returned the Malibu on July 7, they had more Malibus and Impalas, and yes, that 300 was still parked against the fence.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Arrived July 4th - the "aisle" had one Impala and one Malibu and I was offered a choice of either. I asked for something else and was told with a snarky attitude, I could take the Impala or Malibu.

When I protested, I was offered a convertible, but we didn't want one, so ultimately ended up taking the Malibu. There was a 300 parked against the fence which I requested - I was told that car was being held for someone.

When I went back on July 6 to find something new, the lot was still empty - and you guessed it - that 300 was still sitting against the fence.

When I returned the Malibu on July 7, they had more Malibus and Impalas, and yes, that 300 was still parked against the fence.
Disappointing. I'll post what I see on Monday afternoon.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jes999
Disappointing. I'll post what I see on Monday afternoon.
Maybe they'll let you take that 300 which is probably still parked against the fence

One piece of advise for this location - the shuttle tends to run s-l-o-w-l-y and depending on the airline you arrive on, it can be full by the time it reaches the Hawaiian Airlines arrival area. If the shuttle is not visible yet, you can either start walking north to the first pick-up island, or hop the first available Avis shuttle, ride it and then walk across to National after arriving at Avis - if that National shuttle makes a run past you and it's full, I guarantee anything decent on the aisle will be long gone by the time they come back around.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:56 am
EEE

One feature of the airport layout is that you can see the shuttle coming in on the other side of the terminal parking. When I arrive, I'll look across the way and down toward the other end of the loading area. If I don't see the shuttle coming around the loop, I just hike over to the National lot. Even at worst, I only get there around the same time as the shuttle.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:41 pm

July 16th report: The aisle had a couple of Malibus, a bunch of Impalas, a hard top 4 door Jeep, a couple of Camaro convertibles, and I think a couple of Dodge 4 doors. When I asked the attendent about an Escape on the other side of the lot he suggested that I take a GMC Acadia that was reserved for someone who didn't show up. Nice guy. Very serrvice oriented. Car is a bit beat (18K miles and a lot of minor scratches, dents and paint blemishes) but it is a nice "hauler" for taking 5 people to dinner, beach, etc.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:50 am

When I returned my Acadia at about 7:45pm on the night of July 30th the EA and Exec was a sea of Impalas with a couple of Malibus mixed in. No convertibles or SUVs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.