Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
It is a safety feature of new Ford models to be programmed with a max speed of 80 MPH and max volume of 40%. This is is possibly implemented by the factory or previous renters.
  • Without the admin key, you can not deactivate this (the spare key in the spare ire in the trunk may be the admin key, however).
  • Only the station manager has the ability to remove the MyKey restriction.
  • To see if MyKey is enabled, turn on the ignition and it will display "MyKey Active" within approximately 5 seconds
  • When you enable the system, the key you are using becomes the MyKey and the other key becomes the AdminKey.
  • Every feature of MyKey can be customized to your specific needs. The speed limit, however, is set by the factory at 80 MPH (130 km/h) and cannot be customized. Here are the MyKey features and your options:

Speed Limit 80 MPH (130 km/h)
On
Off

Speed Warning Chime (Approaching Top Speed)
Chime at 55 MPH (90 km/h)
Chime at 65 MPH (105 km/h)
Chime at 75 MPH (120 km/h)
Off

Volume Limit
40%
Off

ESP System Cannot be Disabled
On
Off
Print Wikipost

Ford MyKey Deactivation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
Does National ever leave the admin key in the trunk like hertz seems to?

I can't believe that people knowingly choose fords from national! This is incredibly annoying! I took a 2011 Taurus Limited the other day and will not be doing that again. Between the lack of stereo and lack of top speed - blah. Very annoying.

I guess I never realized how much time I spend going over 80 while in PHX.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by astan100
I can't believe that people knowingly choose fords from national! This is incredibly annoying! I took a 2011 Taurus Limited the other day and will not be doing that again. Between the lack of stereo and lack of top speed - blah. Very annoying.
It's very easy to check for MyKey -- turn on the ignition and it will display "MyKey Active" within ~5 seconds. Just look before you take the car.

There doesn't appear to be any coordinated program on National's part to activate the system. At every location where I've found a car with MyKey activated, I've had newer cars where it was inactive.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:04 pm

I just don't take the Ford products. they were near the bottom of my choice list before and this 'sealed' the deal.

There's a reson it stands for Found On Road Dead This feature in a city like ATL or Los Angeles gives new meaning to the term!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
I just don't take the Ford products. they were near the bottom of my choice list before and this 'sealed' the deal.
I'll be happy to take the Fords you leave behind. You're welcome to all the POS 4-cylinder Malibus I have been getting from locations that lack EA/ES.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
DAMN! I wish I'd read this thread before I picked up the Fusion. Ran into the MyKey issue on the freeway today. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

I was at the EA and the selection SUCKED. The sea of Malibu's, one Sonota, and one Fusion.

I chose poorly.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, National Executive Elite
I suspect this is happening because people who don't understand the system are enabling MyKey to see what it does, only to discover that it cannot be turned off.

I made this mistake once at PHX and will not do it again.

When you enable the system, the key you are using becomes the MyKey and the other key becomes the AdminKey.

Makes sense for a private owner, but they really should disable it for rental cars.

At least I set the top speed to 80 mph...someone could get killed if the top speed was set to 60 mph.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:39 pm

Picked up a great Ford Taurus in Canada this weekend. There was no My Key on this one. Just heated leather seats (useful) and working satellite radio. Almost heaven.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I agree with clem151. I think renters are the one turning MyKey on. I had three Ford rentals in the past six months and they were all inactive.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Had a mustang this week with the MyKey enabled. The worst part was just not being able to crank up the radio!
Upon return, the guy there was surprised - they've been disabling it on most of the cars, but this one seems to have fallen through the cracks.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Probably the last renter playing around in the Menu's, usually that's the culprit. It's very easy to enable, but you need the other key to disable it.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Terrible design by Ford. You'd think years of experience would teach them better.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: DL SM, CX GREEN
Was driving in the 2nd to left lane of a 4 lane highway. The semi truck in the right lane about 50 feet ahead of me jack-knifed. There is a semi truck behind me.

I can
A) Slam on my brakes and probably get pancaked between two trucks.
B) Gun it and swerve to the left shoulder to pass and miss the accident entirely.

Just had my first rental experience with this stupid MyKey, the above didn't really happen, but this is a realistic scenario where if you're going 75 MPH in a 70 limit, you need instant speed to 90+.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: Emerald Club Exec, HHonors Silver
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's run into this.

Thankfully, I had both keys and was able to deactivate that crap...lol.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Robert Buffalo
So really what's the point in making me make these ridiculous posts that has zero to do with the topic at hand just so that I can post the actual vital information on my next post?

P.S. Sorry for the rant everyone but it seems dumb to me that I can't just register and be able to post content worth posting but instead have to do work just to provide content that I would've thought the owners of this forum would want people to be posting "freely" Anyways...look at the next post. Hopefully the way I have come up with to reset the MyKey system will help others do so as well and it's cheap to do so as well!

Thanks!
It's to prevent spam accounts from registering just to post a link and then vanishing.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:04 am

I hope that this isn’t a problem anymore. Being able to speed up to prevent an accident is a critical safety feature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.