Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Free Executive membership: American Express Platinum Charge Cards

Free Executive membership: American Express Platinum Charge Cards

Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
I took advantage of this offer earlier today, including joining the Emerald Club. I saw that the initial Emerald Exec membership is free, but I wonder what the cost will be in subsequent years.
As arollins pointed out, it will be re-upped free of charge as long as Amex continue to maintain it as a Platinum Card benefit (unlike the TripIt Pro subscription ).

You should also take a look at what the delta in your rental charges are when booking with the new Amex Plat Contract ID versus your other one(s) you may have been using. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Amex Plat, DL GM, DL KM, National Exec, SPG Gold,
Got kicked out

Well, they lived up to their word and downgraded my status. I called Amex Plat and they gave me a phone number and code. Called the number and had to press several buttons to get to talk to someone. That person only handled rentals and billings. She transferred me to an Emerald Club rep, but the office was closed. I guess 8:15 eastern time is too early for them.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: Amex Plat, DL GM, DL KM, National Exec, SPG Gold,
Thumbs down Back in, but it wasn't easy...

Originally Posted by slsx2
Well, they lived up to their word and downgraded my status. I called Amex Plat and they gave me a phone number and code. Called the number and had to press several buttons to get to talk to someone. That person only handled rentals and billings. She transferred me to an Emerald Club rep, but the office was closed. I guess 8:15 eastern time is too early for them.
I finally got in touch with an Emerald Representative. She informed me that I did not qualify because I had not completed the required number of rentals. That's it, no other help. I then asked, "Even though I still have the same Amex card." She said, "Yes, sir... [long pause] Unless you want to call American Express and get another upgrade code."

I told her I had one and it was over in a minute. I also told her I was a little bugged that I was going to have to call every year. She just said, "Yes, sir."
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by slsx2
I finally got in touch with an Emerald Representative. She informed me that I did not qualify because I had not completed the required number of rentals. That's it, no other help. I then asked, "Even though I still have the same Amex card." She said, "Yes, sir... [long pause] Unless you want to call American Express and get another upgrade code."

I told her I had one and it was over in a minute. I also told her I was a little bugged that I was going to have to call every year. She just said, "Yes, sir."
Just out of curiosity, how many rentals or days did you have during the past year? Given that most have been auto-renewed (including mine which would not otherwise have met the required level), I wonder if there was some magic number the computer was looking at for threshold purposes...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Anybody knows how long it takes to activate the executive status once you apply for it based on the amex platinum?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:38 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
For me it took about a week for the upgraded status to appear, but I submitted my request through the web site (per the instructions on Amex's site) rather than calling.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
No Status

My Exec still is set to expire yesterday. However, I actually have the AMEX Plat and I got my 12 rentals last year. Go figure. Looks I have to give them a call.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I took advantage of this and I love the National experience. Problem is that for the places I travel, they're usually TWICE the rate of comparables (a car is a car), so I've been using Thrifty more.

I know the Amex Plat "experience" should lend itself to higher-end providers, but in the car game, I just can't justify using them when they're significantly higher, especially when Thrifty offers Blue Chip for a very close experience (and rewards program).
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:30 pm

I filled out the form using this link. You might need to be logged into your amex account online for the link to work.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I logged into the Amex Platinum website and followed the link to the National website (to upgrade an existing account), which was their generic feedback/comment form. The Amex site instructed me to type "Platinum" in the comments field.

Well, no response after a week, and I had an upcoming rental I wanted to try this with (Hertz was out as they wanted > $100/day -- President's week in South Florida...)

I called and she said I needed the code, which I was able to find on the Amex website. She said she put it in but it would take a few days to update. A few days later, no luck. I called again, and this time she somehow upgraded the status on the spot (it showed up online when I logged in again).

Well, apparently the FLL location didn't get the memo because they upped my rate from ~$43 to $260/day when I drove off in a Chrysler 300 (the only non-gigantic SUV in the Executive Aisle). And the agent at the lot exit didn't even bother to mention it. I didn't notice until I looked at the contract an hour later at my destination.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone trying to get through to someone who could help me. Finally, customer service managed to reach someone at the airport location, who said a manager would call me the next morning. Nope, no call. I really didn't want to drive this car around for 3 days without some assurance that I wouldn't actually be charged $260/day.

Adding insult to injury, an apparent electrical problem rendered the control screen on the car (where you control radio, climate, etc. on the dash) in operable. I couldn't change the volume or even turn off the radio. I go to the local National office in Boca the next morning and all they have to exchange is a minivan. And the agent there couldn't help with the rate issue either.

Finally, when I returned the car I was able to get the on-site customer service agent to fix the rental agreement and revert the charges to my pre-reserved rate. It took her about 10 minutes, and this was on top of the Alamo guy (only one in the booth when I got there until the National lady showed up a few minutes later) having no idea what was going on.

Well, thanks for listening to the rant, but I'm pretty sure I won't be renting from National ever again.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I logged into the Amex Platinum website and followed the link to the National website (to upgrade an existing account), which was their generic feedback/comment form. The Amex site instructed me to type "Platinum" in the comments field.

Well, no response after a week, and I had an upcoming rental I wanted to try this with (Hertz was out as they wanted > $100/day -- President's week in South Florida...)

I called and she said I needed the code, which I was able to find on the Amex website. She said she put it in but it would take a few days to update. A few days later, no luck. I called again, and this time she somehow upgraded the status on the spot (it showed up online when I logged in again).

Well, apparently the FLL location didn't get the memo because they upped my rate from ~$43 to $260/day when I drove off in a Chrysler 300 (the only non-gigantic SUV in the Executive Aisle). And the agent at the lot exit didn't even bother to mention it. I didn't notice until I looked at the contract an hour later at my destination.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone trying to get through to someone who could help me. Finally, customer service managed to reach someone at the airport location, who said a manager would call me the next morning. Nope, no call. I really didn't want to drive this car around for 3 days without some assurance that I wouldn't actually be charged $260/day.

Adding insult to injury, an apparent electrical problem rendered the control screen on the car (where you control radio, climate, etc. on the dash) in operable. I couldn't change the volume or even turn off the radio. I go to the local National office in Boca the next morning and all they have to exchange is a minivan. And the agent there couldn't help with the rate issue either.

Finally, when I returned the car I was able to get the on-site customer service agent to fix the rental agreement and revert the charges to my pre-reserved rate. It took her about 10 minutes, and this was on top of the Alamo guy (only one in the booth when I got there until the National lady showed up a few minutes later) having no idea what was going on.

Well, thanks for listening to the rant, but I'm pretty sure I won't be renting from National ever again.
One think I always do before leaving the exit booth, I ask the agent to confirm the total. Because if you get the car a bit earlier then the time you reserved they might charge an extra day.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by powermax
One think I always do before leaving the exit booth, I ask the agent to confirm the total. Because if you get the car a bit earlier then the time you reserved they might charge an extra day.
Well I can't imagine they'd charge you extra just for picking the car up early, my understanding (this is how it is with Hertz) is that you only pay for how long you actually have the car out. So if you pick it up "early" then you need to return it "early" but as long as it's within 24 hours (+ 30 minute grace) it's fine.

But of course I should have proactively checked the total. And they should have proactively told me that they were increasing my rate five-fold. What really pushed this over the edge was how difficult it was to try and deal with this over the phone (or even at a neighborhood location). My schedule doesn't always allow me time to futz around with customer service on my return at the airport. "Fortunately" the flights were delayed so it wasn't a rush.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well I can't imagine they'd charge you extra just for picking the car up early, my understanding (this is how it is with Hertz) is that you only pay for how long you actually have the car out. So if you pick it up "early" then you need to return it "early" but as long as it's within 24 hours (+ 30 minute grace) it's fine.

But of course I should have proactively checked the total. And they should have proactively told me that they were increasing my rate five-fold. What really pushed this over the edge was how difficult it was to try and deal with this over the phone (or even at a neighborhood location). My schedule doesn't always allow me time to futz around with customer service on my return at the airport. "Fortunately" the flights were delayed so it wasn't a rush.
Sadly solid point on the phone support. That "Executive" number on the back of your membership card? Great to book reservations with, and will scour the ratebook for whatever they can do for you. Need any support, and you're transferred to some dark underworld populated with Morlocks, and they will then studiously break you down until you give up asking them to do anything for you.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I filled out the form using this link. You might need to be logged into your amex account online for the link to work.
Using the link above, I'm back to executive after only a couple days... Expiration 2/28/14 now.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:49 am

I have an Emerald Club account that expires in 2037 (no idea how I ended up with that date). Do I need to be concerned that if I use my Platinum card to upgrade the account to Executive that I'll lose my expiration date?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.