Any Experiences at SLC?

Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Any Experiences at SLC?

I'll be flying into Salt Lake City on business the first week of March.

I understand National does not have EA/ES at SLC. Anyone have any recent experience there as an ES? Do you still get to pick your car?

What is their car selection like?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would NOT rent from this location. They are extremely anal about even a single molecule being out of place on the cars at return, which is something this location has a reputation for.

They tried to get me for $700 after 'finding' a scratch UNDER the bumper on a car I returned - they literally had someone slide under the car and check under the bumper and bodyframe for scrapes and scratches.

It's basically a scam - they hire Pureco to go after you and collect on "damage" you may or may not have put on the car. They never actually make the repairs unless it's a serious smashup so they can try to nail multiple renters for the same damage.

My Amex insurance rep told me about it and went to war with the location and Pureco, but ended up paying because Pureco just said they would screw me over.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
this place SUCKS, however all the rental car places in SLC suck. I rent every week here and the National is owned by a Chevy dealership in Wisconsin that requires only cars on their lot to be used at SLC. You have no choice in car, they are anal about upgrades and they have no premium cars (they also won't upgrade you to an SUV). unless you are willing to shell out a ton of cash for an SUV, you will be getting an Impala or Malibu with the possibility of being stuck with a Cobalt or a G6. those are your only options.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by playbbg
...you will be getting an Impala or Malibu with the possibility of being stuck with a Cobalt or a G6. those are your only options.
Aww, no Aveos?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
I'n not too keen on this location either. Rented there last month - no upgrade at all. This month I tried to use a combination of paid and 1-2-free days and was unable to so so. System locked me out. I called corporate and was told that someone from the site would contact me in 24 hours - no one ever did. I ended up renting from a competitor for half what National would have charged for all-paid days!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL GE
Retracted.. I confused SLC with another location.. You know your a FFer when you don't know where you have been!

Last edited by pragakhan; Jan 31, 2010 at 10:44 am
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:17 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Not that I ever rent in SLC (but do go through the airport a couple of times a year) but which car rental company is "good" there? Just want to keep it in mind in case I need to rent there. The National franchise sounds like some place I really want to avoid.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Originally Posted by peteropny
Not that I ever rent in SLC (but do go through the airport a couple of times a year) but which car rental company is "good" there? Just want to keep it in mind in case I need to rent there. The National franchise sounds like some place I really want to avoid.
whats sad is that the National is WAY better than the Avis. We all switched because the Avis was just that bad (every week after a 30 minute wait: "Sorry Mr. Avis First, I know you ordered a full size car, but all we have for you today is a Titan or an F150").

I guess Hertz is the best, but always at least twice as much.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would NOT rent from this location. They are extremely anal about even a single molecule being out of place on the cars at return, which is something this location has a reputation for.

They tried to get me for $700 after 'finding' a scratch UNDER the bumper on a car I returned - they literally had someone slide under the car and check under the bumper and bodyframe for scrapes and scratches.

It's basically a scam - they hire Pureco to go after you and collect on "damage" you may or may not have put on the car. They never actually make the repairs unless it's a serious smashup so they can try to nail multiple renters for the same damage.

My Amex insurance rep told me about it and went to war with the location and Pureco, but ended up paying because Pureco just said they would screw me over.
Interesting reading this. I had a similiar experience on Friday when i dropped off the shitbox Malibu (about all this location has) they gave me (even though I'd reserved an SUV and am an Exec Elite). Guy actually got on the ground in front of the car to look at front bumper. I laughed at first, he wasn't fond of that gave me quite a glare as my receipt was printing.

As for the employees? Far and away worst I've found at any National agency I've been to across the country.

Watch yourself at this location. I've made my corp travel agents aware of this in hopes to avoid them during any future visits to SLC.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PP, Hyatt DM, Marriott SE, SPG Gold
No quickie Emerald pick-ups in this location either -- you have to go to the booth first and get abused by customer service before they'll give you any keys.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:43 pm

Anyone know what the current SUV's are at SLC? And what is the difference between the Trailblazer and Acadia classes??
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by phelme
Anyone know what the current SUV's are at SLC? And what is the difference between the Trailblazer and Acadia classes??
It's unlikely you would actually get a Trailblazer since they have been out of production for ~fifteen months. It's one of three 'typical' vehicles identified for the U.S. fleet that's no longer made.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by bmccorm534
Interesting reading this. I had a similiar experience on Friday when i dropped off the shitbox Malibu (about all this location has) they gave me (even though I'd reserved an SUV and am an Exec Elite). Guy actually got on the ground in front of the car to look at front bumper. I laughed at first, he wasn't fond of that gave me quite a glare as my receipt was printing.

As for the employees? Far and away worst I've found at any National agency I've been to across the country.

Watch yourself at this location. I've made my corp travel agents aware of this in hopes to avoid them during any future visits to SLC.
I see nothing has changed from a year ago. I was accused of scratching the back bumper with my luggage a year ago. After demanding to see a manager who politely told the kid who inspected the car that the scratches were normal wear and tear I was allowed to leave. The ironic thing was I did not have any luggage and I only had the car for three hours.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I've never had a bad experience at SLC. We've rented there a few times over the years for skiing holidays.

A few weeks ago, I reserved a mid-size SUV and got upgraded to a (full size SUV) Chevy Traverse. The car must have been a only a few weeks old, cause it only had 6-700 miles on the counter.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: DL GE
I have a reservation here in a month. If it goes south, it will be the first time in three years with National and given the reputation from others, I am not looking forward to it.

I'll make sure to charge up the camera! @:-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.