Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Experiences at SLC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:17 pm
Company Representative, National Car Rental

We Value Your Feedback

Thank you to everyone sharing their experience at the SLC location. Customer service is our number one priority - we are listening! If any of you have any questions or concerns to share with us, please email the details to [email protected].

To make it easier to assist you, please include your contact information and any reservation or rental agreement numbers, as well as all the details about your experience. Thank you! We look forward to hearing from you!

Kindly,

Maggie
Social Media Coordinator
National Car Rental
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by fintheman
Anyone wanna find out the closest National location to SLC and start doing one-way's to SLC to .... with them?
Provo! This could theoretically be hilarious, but if SLC is franchised I bet PVU is too Other "nearby" locations are SGU (4 hours) or LAS (6 hours).

-J.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Provo! This could theoretically be hilarious, but if SLC is franchised I bet PVU is too Other "nearby" locations are SGU (4 hours) or LAS (6 hours).

-J.
I haven't researched the background of the franchise, but I'm told its owned by a local Chevy dealer. Recently I was able to reserve a Cadillac ATS, but was handed to the keys to a Malibu when I arrived. She stated SLC doesn't offer Cadillac's. That's fine, but why let me reserve one??? I'm tired of fighting with this office when I arrive as the quality of cars are a joke. I'm back to Hertz, but I can't say things have been much better. A colleague has been using AVIS the last few months, and seems to get better cars most of the time. Maybe I will give them a try, as I'm in SLC twice a month and need a good option.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I haven't researched the background of the franchise, but I'm told its owned by a local Chevy dealer. Recently I was able to reserve a Cadillac ATS, but was handed to the keys to a Malibu when I arrived. She stated SLC doesn't offer Cadillac's. That's fine, but why let me reserve one??? I'm tired of fighting with this office when I arrive as the quality of cars are a joke. I'm back to Hertz, but I can't say things have been much better. A colleague has been using AVIS the last few months, and seems to get better cars most of the time. Maybe I will give them a try, as I'm in SLC twice a month and need a good option.
I have only had fantastic experiences at Hertz SLC. I would book "manager's special" rates at least once a month and most times I got Buick LaCrosses, Volvo S80s, or SUVs.

-J.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:46 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I have only had fantastic experiences at Hertz SLC. I would book "manager's special" rates at least once a month and most times I got Buick LaCrosses, Volvo S80s, or SUVs.

-J.
You have also bragged of having a special connection with the managers there. My own experience and the experience of others seems to suggest that this isn't the best of locations...
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NDDomer86
You have also bragged of having a special connection with the managers there. My own experience and the experience of others seems to suggest that this isn't the best of locations...
The only connection I had was just that I rented frequently and had a good rapport (Sometimes bringing a large bag of chips or similar also helps.)

-J.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
I had relatively good luck here the middle of last month.

I'm Exec, wasn't even asked to fill out a condition/damage form at the counter, and was given a choice of a couple cars. Buick Regal was the best option. Higher mileage (25K or so?) but pretty well equipped. Put close to 1000 miles on the car in 2 days and had zero issues or questions upon return.

While it's certainly not your average location, I'd return based on my experience.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
A couple of rentals in December and January were good. Exec. Offered choice of 4-5 cars. Picked a brand new Buick Verano in December and an older Regal in January. Absolutely no issues with the place. Used to rent Avis there before, I prefer National at SLC
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:31 pm

I'm assuming it would be close to impossible to book a midsize car through Emerald Executive status and end up with an intermediate SUV?

Headed there in 8 days and need an SUV for skis, etc.

Right now I have a cheaper rental at Thrifty and Enterprise anyways through another family member, but just wanted to get folks 2 cents.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:57 am

Any recent experiences at SLC with one way rentals?

I'm planning on doing a one way from SLC-SEA. I would imagine they would give me a corporate car that was one way'd in, rather than one of their precious franchisee cars.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by whistler814
Any recent experiences at SLC with one way rentals?

I'm planning on doing a one way from SLC-SEA. I would imagine they would give me a corporate car that was one way'd in, rather than one of their precious franchisee cars.
I did a one way rental out of SLC middle of last year. Be sure the staff understands when you arrive, as I was pulling out of the parking spot when a agent ran after me and had me change cars. I forget the reason, but I believe the first car was a local, while my new bare bones car was a corporate car.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
National at SLC is near the top of my most dreaded locations in the US because they have no aisle.

Plus, they seem to be one of the locations that standard operating procedure is a little on the shady side. I have heard that is pretty much standard operating procedure there.

On a recent rental, I was given a car that had had not been serviced between rentals. The car exterior was dirty, the interior was a mess, not vac'ed, sticky stuff on the leather seats. I complained to CS and was offered a $50 credit, which I have not seen.

Last edited by Ledfish; Nov 27, 2015 at 7:23 am
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Rented from this location several times, both for business and pleasure and it's always a crap shoot and a dreaded experience. Hard to believe that a major airport could go w/o an Executive Aisle.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it still a Midwest Car Corp. franchise?? Unbelievable that after this many complaints (enough to warrant over 50 posts in a FT thread over two years, among others) National still hasn't done anything. I know that National corporate is aware (spoke to a few reps at a conference -- back in 2013! -- and they were all too aware of what was going on at SLC). I turn 25 later this year and I have already started preparing to shift some of my business from Hertz to Avis. Until something is done about SLC, I won't rent from National (since SLC is my most-frequent rental location, it just doesn't make sense to jump down into this nasty rabbit hole)

-J.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Just rented at SLC for President's week 2016.
I'm EA. Booked a fullsize, got an Impala (PCAR)
Big Note: **Magnetic Rental Ski Racks do not fit wide skis.**

I spoke with one of the reps.
A new facility is in the works. Not sure if it is shared. Not sure if it will have an Aisle.
It's still a franchise. Still owned by a dealer.
Undercar scratch guy was nicknamed Spiderman. He no longer works for them.

Experience was no better / worse than most small franchise locations, though this really isn't a "small" location. Hated having no aisle.

Car's ride was horrible, very spongy. Wife & kids called it the carsickness machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.