Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Experiences at SLC?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pragakhan
I have a reservation here in a month. If it goes south, it will be the first time in three years with National and given the reputation from others, I am not looking forward to it.

I'll make sure to charge up the camera! @:-)
Two things here to protect yourself:

1. use the camera to take photos of the car *while* doing the pre-departure walkaround. That should be enough to shake them up so they know you mean business

2. upon return, repeat the process, tell the agent you will do a walkaround with them while taking pictures, and try and record the conversation on your phone to indicate no damage was found and you are releasing the car to the station's custody and terminating your bailment and you are no longer responsible for damage to the car from that moment on
Old May 22, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have rented at this location several times, but I have never had the problem you mention. But, I could have been lucky.

It is different. You go to a kiosk in the parking garage, present your DL and they hand you keys and tell you the parking spot number. No ES here.

One weird thing with my last rental, turned in yesterday: They did not have my requested vehicle, a mid-size SUV, so they upgraded me to either a Full-size SUV or a Premium Crossover. Premium sounds good so I took the Chevrolet Traverse. It is huge. I had trouble parking it all in one zip code. Drives good, though. Here is the odd part, and it may relate to what you has been previously posted: I was told that they were aware of the scratches on the bumper and that I would not be held responsible.

1. I have never been "warned" about damage.

2. I got to the vehicle and could not find any damage.

I parked it in the daylight, and looked again. I still could not find damage. It may be up underneath. I did not look.

When I turned it in I got a better than usual check in inspection, but nothing severe, just what would be expected.
Old May 23, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: DL GE
One must always have a plan of attack when going to war...

I will report my findings, and if it's bad, to National HQ as well
Old May 23, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pragakhan
One must always have a plan of attack when going to war...

I will report my findings, and if it's bad, to National HQ as well
Make sure that your plan includes a good small flashlight. The parking garage is poorly lit and it will be needed to adequately inspect for existing damage. I always have one in my computer case just for this reason.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: Newb. National Exec. Marriott/SPG Gold Elite, Hertz Gold
Planning my first trip to SLC toward the end of this month, anyone have any recent experience? Im EE if that means any extra input. Thanks for the help!!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by Stripes13
Planning my first trip to SLC toward the end of this month, anyone have any recent experience? Im EE if that means any extra input. Thanks for the help!!
They aren't kidding, there is no light in there. Nothing unusual about the return though, still waiting to see..
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
I rented from them in July. No EA but at least they are on the property rather than taking a bus. I reserved midsize and got an Impala. Spongy steering and some issues with brakes shuddering coming back down the freeway from Park City. We were not driving particularly fast. I agree with others the lot is not well lit. It was one of my less inspired National rentals especially given the brake issue.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by businesstraveller2
I rented from them in July. No EA but at least they are on the property rather than taking a bus. I reserved midsize and got an Impala. Spongy steering and some issues with brakes shuddering coming back down the freeway from Park City. We were not driving particularly fast. I agree with others the lot is not well lit. It was one of my less inspired National rentals especially given the brake issue.
We're just back from a trip to SLC and also had a bad experience with National there

The tire pressure on the Chevy Malibu we drove had not been checked by National before we picked up the car..... one had over 50 pounds PSI, another less than 25 psi when they should have been at about 30.

Our route for this trip involved driving to Moab (think Arches National) park and took over Soldier Summit and included a bit of mountain driving on two lane roads.

When we got back to SLC, we complained to National about our experience and their employees left us with the impression that they could care less.

Given the fact this location is owned by a car dealership, I would like to think that they had employees that know how to take care of cars, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Ironically, I could have selected an Impala, but right now there is a seat belt recall on that vehicle and I had no way of knowing if the seat belt fix had been applied to the vehicle I would have driven.

Bob H
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
WTS about the lousy selection; but FWIW I've never been harassed upon return in 3 (or 4?) rentals.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: British Airways non-rev, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I rented at this location last week as an Emerald Club member. I was offered either an Impala or Malibu because of the aforementioned dealer ownership--there didn't appear to be an Emerald Aisle of any kind. The rear bumper was scratched a bit so I had them note that before checkout. Service was fine though.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:07 pm

Was there not long ago as well renting for a road-trip (SLC is my home airport). Offered Impala or Malibu. Staff was quite pleasant.

Can't speak to the damage issues since my company's contract includes LDW.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It strikes me as a pretty busy location - with lots of space for inventory - to lack Emerald Aisle service. I assume that's a franchise contract issue, possibly exacerbated by parking deck layout for car exit control. But National maintains a list of EA locations - getting an assigned vehicle shouldn't be a surprise.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:06 pm

I was here just two weeks ago.

It is a franchise location and not a corporate one. This may restrict what they can do and the cars they can offer.

I was on a ten-day road trip with Mrs. Ink and the first seven days, OW from DEN were on free days. The last three were to be on my dime, and the extra day charges on the OW were ridiculous, $120+/day.

So, I made a reservation for the last three days with airport pickup and asked if I could just re-rent the car I was in. They said no as it was a corporate owned vehicle and I had been placed in a franchise vehicle. Oh, well.

When I got to the window, they let me select from a variety of cars sort of like the aisle, but with a smaller selection.

If you are an aisle member, I am Executive Elite so that may make a difference, just ask. They have always been good about trying to find a vehicle that I like even though the selection may not be as large.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:56 am

Just out of curiosity, did they seem annoyed and say they would have to send back the corporate-owned vehicle?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:14 pm

Anybody have the latest on SLC? I have a trip coming up in September for Yellowstone...

Anyone rented from SLC recently?

Last edited by saurabh711; Jun 27, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.