Search

2011 Ford Fusion SE Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:43 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Post 2011 Ford Fusion SE Ride Report

I snagged this brand new car at the Emerald Counter at BNA with only 10 miles on the odometer and protective stickers waiting to be peeled off many of the consoles!

Overview: The SE I4 model was a very good ride, with solid handling, excellent fuel economy, and nice interior features. A solid 4-door sedan with a good-sized trunk, it seems accurately classified as a Standard Car (SCAR).

Handling: I’m assuming the SE model I had was the 2.5 L I4 with 6-speed automatic transmission and not the 3.0 L V6. The car had good acceleration in the city, but could have used just a bit more punch for passing on the highway. Cornering was good, with just a bit of sway on some tight, hard U-turns I made. It was a nice, smooth ride on both the highway and in the city. Good sight lines horizontally and vertically, although the rear window is noticeably short and the rear seat headrests block the rear sides slightly. The car features integrated, convex “spotter mirrors” on both the left and right, although I actually found these distracting, as one has to focus separately on the spotter mirror and the main mirror due to the different focal lengths. The center rearview mirror is also slightly convex to give a view of the entire width of the rear window with cars appearing slightly thinner than normal. Overall, I was happy with the ride, but the car was, not surprisingly, just a bit soft here and there for my sporty tastes.

Features: A good set of interior features that took some time getting to know.
  • Sirius Satellite Radio, plus FM/AM/CD (didn’t see an MP3 Aux In port, but it’s supposed to have one) with redundant volume and preset controls on the right side of the steering wheel. Automatic volume adjustment at speed was defaulted to “off” and needed to be set.
  • The trademark Ice Blue lighting on the dash looks pretty slick, although note that the dimmer switch on the left is poorly placed right next to the trunk button – I managed to pop the trunk at a stoplight, but fortunately the light was long enough for Mrs. dstan to run back and close it!
  • Driver’s side 8-way power seat with manual lumbar dial on the side of the seatbottom. Passenger’s side 2-way manual seat.
  • Trip computer controlled from the left side of the steering wheel cycles through Trip A, Trip B, Miles to Empty, Average MPG, Current MPG (bar graph, not numerical), and Elapsed Time. The odometer is displayed constantly just below the computer reading on the dash.
  • Single left control stick for directionals, highbeams, and wipers.
  • Steering wheel adjustment is a small lever on the bottom of the column.
  • Cruise control controlled from the left side of the steering wheel.
  • Key has Lock / Unlock (activates courtesy lighting) / Trunk (press 2x) / Horn button (red). The buttons are small and not too intuitive, so I had to look carefully to find the right button each time.
  • Power locks, windows and mirrors. Standard manual climate control.
  • There are storage bins on the top of the center console and on the left of the dash, the purposes of which are not immediately obvious.

Mileage: Listed at 22/30, I got 31 mpg highway on I-65 where the speed limit is 70 mph. The fuel economy actually gets better at lower speeds, and I measured >37 mpg on a 50 mph highway. The fuel tank door is on the driver’s side.

Space: The front seats were quite comfortable (I’m 6 ft tall), and the back seat looked standard. The trunk has a good wide opening and is fairly deep. We only had two rollaboards, but it looked large enough to accommodate two large suitcases side-by-side and some additional bags. The rear seats can be folded down from the trunk for extra storage space.

Note the Ice Blue lighting!

dstanridereport
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Excellent report! I've had many of these over the last few months and it along with the 2011 Sonata are my two favourites. Even though they're both classed as Standard, I'll regularly ask for them even on Fullsize bookings.

A few notes from what I read in your report:

SYNC is still optional on the SE models. So far every 2011 SE I've seen in Canada has had it though (2010s didn't). The easiest way to spot SYNC is if there's the little button with a speaking mouth on the right side of the steering wheel and a phone icon. If those aren't there, just a large "MEDIA" button as yours had, then it doesn't have SYNC.

The aux port for the radio is located in the compartment under the centre armrest. There's two compartments: the shallow one for keeping receipts and the deep one where the aux port is. If it has SYNC, this is also where you'll find the USB port.

I used the left-side storage bin for change mostly. When I drove a Fusion from Vancouver to Toronto via I-90 this past summer, I made a habit of sticking my $1 bills and change in there, so I had a great arsenal of small change when I hit the Illinois Tollway. The other day when I had a Fusion and was out dropping resumes, I filled that bin with paper clips and attached cover letters to resumes as I barreled along the 407 ETR at 120 km/h, thereby saving time by not doing it stationery at home.

The centre bin is a bit redundant, but I'll never argue with having more storage space. I usually keep receipts and hotel bills in there, leaving the centre armrest compartment for my charging phone and GPS (go ahead and rob me, I have PEC on my CC and my iPhone keeps dropping calls)
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:08 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thanks for the additional, info Tuneman1984! I haven't read up on the SYNC system - can you say a bit more about what it does?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by dstan
Thanks for the additional, info Tuneman1984! I haven't read up on the SYNC system - can you say a bit more about what it does?
Lots of SYNC info here:
http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/?brand=flm

Ron.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Sounds similar to the 2010 I drove (and reviewed in another forum) in MCO last winter. I really enjoy these Fusions. I managed to get an AWD in YYC last year as well on my way to the mountains for a conference (company was paying) and it worked even better on the snow covered roads. Got slightly worse gas mileage in both cases than you, but was a serious mixture of road/off road.

I always look forward to getting one of these when I rent.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:15 am

First time driving a Ford Fusion SE, and I really like it. No SYNC, but fortunately has Sirius XM instead. Despite thinking that a 2.5L 175 hp 4-cylinder engine would be insufficient at moving the car around, it does quite well.

Although only a 4-cylinder, seems much peppier than its kissing cousin, the Lincoln MKZ (with its uprated V6). I imagine it's because the MKZ adds an additional several hundred pounds to the curbweight. Fun to drive, easy to handle, great around town. Steering is pretty light, making it super easy to navigate around parking lots.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Dec 11, 2010 at 11:27 am
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
I really like the light steering as well. I found the Fusion easy to cart around even when I had it loaded down with all my things during the move.

I find the MKZ is more about a smooth power delivery rather than peppiness, as you would expect from a luxury marque. The Fusion with the 3.0 V6 is VERY sprightly though. I had one last summer out of YVR and really enjoyed it. I still haven't driven a Sport with the 3.5 (same powerplant as the MKZ), but from what I've heard the additional weight blumps the increased power a bit. This could be the sensation you got driving the MKZ.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:26 pm

Also, the Fusion has the most comfortable headrests! Don't know why the Taurus and Edge use different ones.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I just had a 2010 Fusion SEL from Enterprise in SBA. I liked it a lot. The SEL has some extra features (heated leather seats, SYNC [I always look for the little badge on the console next to the shifter to see it a car has it], power passenger seat, automatic, dual-zone temperature control, ambient lighting) that were nice. I was impressed that I got 27.5 MPG in about 75% highway driving with the 3.0 V-6. Good power, too.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:19 pm

The Fusion will be Ford's first 200,000 unit selling model since 2004.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/28/f...ar-since-2004/

good for them, not sure what % are fleet units, but I enjoyed driving it.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:30 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Two additional things I liked on my 2010 Fusion SE rental a few months back:
  • Capless fuel filling -- no gas cap to mess with
  • Unique key-in-ignition and fasten seatbelt warning tones -- minor, yes, but I liked that the Fusion (and the Taurus that I subsequently rented) used something other than the typical bong-bong-bong chime
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: USAIR Platinum, National EA
I rented a 2011 Fusion SE tonight. I was looking forward to driving one. Mine has just over 1600 miles and working XM. I like how the SE model comes with a power seat, and steering wheel controls.

The pros: Its a decent looking car, power seat, tilt/telescopic steering wheel, seat was pretty comfortable, gas mileage was 34.2 mpg over 62 miles at about 70-75mph, decent base sound system, large trunk, rear armrest, integrated keyless entry on keyfob, bright lights/foglights/ automatic lights, quiet at speed and no problem keeping up, passing other vehicles.

The cons: The cloth seat material is hard and not attractive looking or feeling, blind spots due to rear head rests (I'm 6') and mirrors with the weird convex insert, engine seemed sluggish and slow, steeing wheel controls are small and hard to see when driving at night - its easier to use the large radio buttons instead. The radio display seemed to be too low and I don't like the speedometer - It has numbers at 20, 40, 60, 80 etc, with slashes at 5mph increments. Numerous times i was going faster than i thought with just a quick glance down (maybe its just me)

If i had to choose between this and the sonata, for me the sonata is the clear winner.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:01 am

Driving a 2011 Fusion SEL 3.0L V6; I recognized it from the trick that Tuneman suggested- check for the FlexFuel tag on the right trunklid.

Initial impressions are that the engine is slightly peppier, but I have to say I like the 4-cyl Fusion better. The 4-cyl Fusion has lighter steering (the V6 has a touch heavier steering feel by comparison), better fuel economy, and doesn't sacrifice much in the way of acceleration and pickup. The SEL should be much faster, though it doesn't feel like it, since it adds 70hp over the base 4-cyl. I wonder why anyone would get the Ford Fusion Sport then, if the horsepower numbers from the 3.5L V6 are quite similar to that of the 3.0L V6 (only adds additional 25hp and 25 lb-ft torque).

Of course I'd like to try a Fusion Sport FWD next, but I've never seen one at DCA. Here's to hoping Ford adds the 4-cyl EcoBoost to the Fusion line soon.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Apr 9, 2011 at 7:08 am
Old Apr 10, 2011, 4:48 pm

I take my above comments back; this Ford Fusion SEL is AWESOME!!!

Downside is that engine is a bit throaty at low RPM, 2-3K, but once it gets in gear on the highway, passing and switching lanes are effortless. Better road feel and slightly heavier steering than on the 4-cyl base Fusion.

SEL is a blast; easy to spot with dual symmetric exhausts and FlexFuel logo on the back; just make sure it's not the I4 SEL version; can check key tag.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:34 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by billybob123
I managed to get an AWD in YYC last year as well on my way to the mountains for a conference....
NICE !

I was able to get an AWD Sport model in Nova Scotia, fully loaded, nice leather.

It was a BLAST to drive the Cabot Trail with this car.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.