2010 GMC Terrain Review

Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Marriott Rewards, Choice Privileges, AAdvantage, Airtran A+ Rewards, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Picked one up with just 834 miles on it, however, after driving it, I am not impressed. There are several serious, and major issues. It was a mid-level package, SLE-2 with AWD; with Pioneer Speakers, power driver seats, Bluetooth, XM Radio, leather wrapped steering wheel, and rear view backup camera (very handy). All in all, better equipped than I expected.

That's not to say it's a bad vehicle- it's generations better than the old GMC Envoy/Equinox; hopefully these are just teething problems that will be fixed in the next batch of cars.

Overall impression was not too good, unfortunately, because I'm a huge fan of domestics. The new Equinox/Terrain had received good reviews, and I was hoping to try one out. I drove a 2010 Ford Edge recently, and the Edge was much better.

PROS:
- Just the right size for a mid-size SUV
- aggressive exterior stance with flared fenders and fog lights
- interior controls are ergonomically laid out
- high quality interior materials and fit
- 2.4L 4-cylinder is much better sounding than previous generation 4-cylinder engines
- rear backup camera display is small, but the placement is excellent!
- aggressive noise dampening
- Pioneer sound system is excellent; great bass response. Line in/USB connections are immediately detected without issue.
- cavernous armrest compartment
- handling too light is helpful for parking.
- Driver's instrumentation panel has excellent clarity and legibility; helpful information menu as well.

CONS:

- 2.4L 4-cyl much too weak for a vehicle of this size (which also has AWD)
- rear lights are ugly as sin, reminds me of a minivan
- HUGE rear blind spot due to small windows, pillars
- handling too light, little to no feedback.
- brakes need to be depressed too far in order to get a strong response
- worst of all, I get this intermittent shaking at red lights when I'm stationary with the foot on the brake. The whole car shakes violently from front to back,
not sure if it's a transmission issue or brakes, or what, but quite discomforting.
- sideview mirrors too small
I rented through Avis last weekend and was offered this car. I agree with the feedback, sideview mirrors being too small, and rearview blind spot. The rearview blind spot is a serious issue and rather irritating! The sound system, rearview camera, and xm radio were all great features.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:34 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I just rented one over the weekend in SFO. My one major annoyance is that the rearview back up camera display (while in a good place and neat) has the major problem of being misleading - you are much closer to whatever is in the rear than the view indicates.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:16 am
Original Poster

2012 GMC Terrain SLT-1 "Trim" AWD V6 interior.

When I first drove the 2010 GMC Terrain a few years ago, I hated it. No doubt compounded by the sudden electrical problems I experienced as well. However, I took a chance with the 2012 model. I'm happy to say that they've made a few important changes which have given me a more favorable impression; also, this is a high trim level, and it's pretty nice.

I think the spotter mirrors have been added for the 2012 MY only?

The particular model I'm driving stickers for $37K!!, and has nearly every single option available. SLT-1 Trim + AWD + V6 + leather seats + upgraded Pioneer audio system with hard-drive, + rear power liftgate + sunroof + chrome appearance package + 19" chrome clad wheels

PROS:

- GM MyLink system works well. Offers Pandora streaming capabilities.
- Dashboard feels solid and high quality.
- 8 speaker Pioneer sound system with subwoofer sounds great! Don't know why they use the awful Bose system on the GMC Acadia.
- V6 provides competent acceleration.
- 7" color touchscreen is very clear and easy to use. Rearview camera display has been relocated to the touchscreen, instead of being mounted in the rearview mirror (2012 MY change only).
- Much better visibility, thanks to simple addition of driver's and passenger's side blind spotter mirrors.
- HVAC blows quickly and powerfully.
- New GM corporate steering wheel is comfortable to handle.
- Comfortable leather seats with French stitching.
- Big 19" alloy wheels.
- Cabin is quiet and dampened.
- Visually striking and more unique than its Chevy Equinox cousin...

CONS:

- I still find the exterior to be polarizing and ugly.
- Steering slightly on the heavier side.
- Brakes a bit mushy.
- Seat headrests felt insufficiently padded and hard.
- Still big blindspots, but they've been mitigated by addition of spotter mirrors.
- Rear view poor.
- Feels like a heavy vehicle.
- Options can quickly push the vehicle price tag high; the particular trim and model I'm driving costs $37K MSRP!!!
- Engine is low on torque.
- Poor fuel economy for AWD V-6 version; 16/19!!

CONCLUSION:

It's been significantly improved since I first drove (also helps that I'm driving a higher trim model with V-6). The interior is a great place to spend time. If they improved the driving dynamics and exterior design, I'd strongly recommend it.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Aug 27, 2011 at 10:27 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.