Canadian eh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian eh

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG,Marriott,Hilton,Delta,US airways,Hyatt,Fairmont,American A,Priority Cub,Discovery,etc
Unhappy Canadian eh

I know mileage churning is something which exists in the States .Am in awe of those who do it well.Any idea how a Canadian can get in on this ?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Are you asking about churning of credit cards and Canadian options?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by iamfrugal
I know mileage churning is something which exists in the States .Am in awe of those who do it well.Any idea how a Canadian can get in on this ?
Yes. You fly on the airline of your choice to the US and start from there.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Reminds me of a joke a friend in Ottawa told me some time back:

Q: Why did the Canadian cross the road?
A: Because he saw an American do it on TV.

It took me a few moments to get it (duh!), but I've not spent much time in Canada.

Assuming you are interested in mileage running, you might be able to MR from Canadian airports into the US, but you'll need to factor in the extra time for clearing customs etc. Not sure about the economics of this, it depends on where you'd be starting from and which airline/alliance you're interested in. I would suggest moving this to "Mileage Run Discussion" in that case.

If on the other hand you are interested in churning (flipping?) credit cards to get miles then I have no suggestions, not knowing anything about Canadian CC's.

cheers,
benzguy80
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:22 am

What is churning?

If by churning you mean getting multiple credit cards just for the bonuses then I can tell you that in canada that it works fine. I have been through quite a few this past year, I just got rid of most of them because it was hard to keep track of them all. Additionally I think quite a few people swap their aeroplan credit cards yearly to get the aeroplan bonuses.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:31 pm

I think you can switch back and forth between the CIBC Bank Aeroplan card at $120 per year, and their free card. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Welcome to FT iamfrugal!

I live in Toronto and churn credit cards. I alternate between CIBC Aerogold, TD AA Visa, MBNA SPG MC and sometimes Amex Air Miles.

I also do mileage runs on UA out of Buffalo.

Now, what is your question?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG,Marriott,Hilton,Delta,US airways,Hyatt,Fairmont,American A,Priority Cub,Discovery,etc
Thumbs up m.girl

Hey.M.girl,aer these cards fee free?Do you apply online ?What sort of freebies are you getting ?I read frualtravelguy and am just amazed at his success.I have a very good credit rating and have lots of cards but basically use them for Smith manouvre type stuff (low balance transfer rates .9% and such).I am a snow bird now so travel rewards are what I am after now.Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:13 am
GIJ

Programs: SPG Plus, AC Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Welcome to FT iamfrugal!

I live in Toronto and churn credit cards. I alternate between CIBC Aerogold, TD AA Visa, MBNA SPG MC and sometimes Amex Air Miles.

I also do mileage runs on UA out of Buffalo.

Now, what is your question?
Hi margarita girl,

I am looking for some MR too, tried to use farecompare site to search MR from BUF but the cpm was not so great, you would share tips on how you start it?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey.M.girl,aer these cards fee free?Do you apply online ?What sort of freebies are you getting ?I read frualtravelguy and am just amazed at his success.I have a very good credit rating and have lots of cards but basically use them for Smith manouvre type stuff (low balance transfer rates .9% and such).I am a snow bird now so travel rewards are what I am after now.Any tips are greatly appreciated.
The CIBC Aerogold and TD AA Visa both cost $120/yr, so only worthwhile if you get the sign up bonus as far as I'm concerned. Right now it's 15K AP miles with CIBC and 10K AA miles with TD. MBNA MC is free and you get 5K SPG points first time you use the card and 5K more points the first time you pay for a stay at an SPG hotel with your card. (And SPG points can be converted to AP miles at a 1.25 ratio if you earned some of your points through hotel stays.) However, I'm addicted to sign up bonuses, so I change cards every year! It takes me about an hour to change all my automatic charges from one card to the other.

Originally Posted by GIJ
Hi margarita girl,

I am looking for some MR too, tried to use farecompare site to search MR from BUF but the cpm was not so great, you would share tips on how you start it?
I've done 3 MRs out of BUF.

BUF-IAD-ORD-MLI-DEN-ONT-SFO-ORD-MDT-IAD-BUF for C$270
BUF-IAD-SFO-LAX-LAS-SFO-PIT-CLT-BUF for US$192
BUF-CLT-PHL-SAN-IAD-CLT-BUF for US$203

I usually just find a cheap destination to go to (I think there are good deals to SAN right now) and then use ITA to try to find the longest way to get there.

Here's one I had on hold for March 3, but did not end up purchasing it.

BUF-IAD-DEN-SFO-SEA-ORD-EWR-IAD-BUF for US$230

Last edited by margarita girl; Mar 12, 2009 at 12:36 pm
Old Mar 12, 2009, 3:59 pm

if you live along or near the border its more economical to mr via US airports, and you this way you get to clear customs when you cross the border
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:44 pm
GIJ

Programs: SPG Plus, AC Elite
Thank you MG, are the MR AA or UA?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, should have specified, I'm all Star Alliance. All trips on UA, with a few US code shares even though I try to minimize those! Who wants to pay $2 for a Coke?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:30 pm

Sorry, should have specified, I'm all Star Alliance. All trips on UA, with a few US code shares even though I try to minimize those! Who wants to pay $2 for a Coke?
US went back to free drinks on March 1.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
Mbna -spg cc

The CIBC Aerogold and TD AA Visa both cost $120/yr, so only worthwhile if you get the sign up bonus as far as I'm concerned. Right now it's 15K AP miles with CIBC and 10K AA miles with TD. MBNA MC is free and you get 5K SPG points first time you use the card and 5K more points the first time you pay for a stay at an SPG hotel with your card. (And SPG points can be converted to AP miles at a 1.25 ratio if you earned some of your points through hotel stays.) However, I'm addicted to sign up bonuses, so I change cards every year! It takes me about an hour to change all my automatic charges from one card to the other.

I've done 3 MRs out of BUF.

BUF-IAD-ORD-MLI-DEN-ONT-SFO-ORD-MDT-IAD-BUF for C$270
BUF-IAD-SFO-LAX-LAS-SFO-PIT-CLT-BUF for US$192
BUF-CLT-PHL-SAN-IAD-CLT-BUF for US$203

I usually just find a cheap destination to go to (I think there are good deals to SAN right now) and then use ITA to try to find the longest way to get there.

Here's one I had on hold for March 3, but did not end up purchasing it.

BUF-IAD-DEN-SFO-SEA-ORD-EWR-IAD-BUF for US$230
Hi Margarita Girl
I also have the MBNA - SPG CC. ( plus another 5 miles producing cc )
Re the MBNA card , How long do you wait between cancelling and reapplying for a new
card in order to be considered " a new applicant " ( and getting the initial bonuses :
5K first use and 5K first stay ).

Thanks
Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.