I need ways to keep my Airline miles from expiring

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need ways to keep my Airline miles from expiring

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:50 pm

Talking easy way to get a few Delta Miles fast

My Delta miles were going to expire 12/31. I joined skymilesshopping.com and went from there to homedepot.com and bought a $10 gift card. The card is on its way to me (with free shipping) and 20 miles added to my skymiles account in about 3 days. Now I have 2 more years on my Delta Skymiles expiration date. Be sure to select your shopping site from the selections in the skymilesshopping.com site to link your purchase to your skymiles account.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
UA > I have four Safeway/Vons Cards that are for all four of us. Since I fly UA a bit I don't need mine so I use my other three family members cards on a rotational basis. As soon as one hits 250 bucks (and the accompanying 125 miles earned) I switch to the next card and this allows me to keep everyones miles active without even coming close to expiring

DL > my avis car rentals are set on my DL account and I rotate thru my family's accounts with rentals and these seem to post right about 90% of the time so that saves those

NW/CO do not expire (yet)

US > I let expire after extending via magazines once and then just realized this POS airline wasn't worth the effort for 3200 miles

that is all of my airline accounts

hotels I keep going by staying at them except for Hh which I have a visa which i have a monthly recurring charge on to keep those alive
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
restaurant.com

How do you get miles purchasing certificates at restaurant.com? I looked and may have missed this question being asked and answered so please forgive me if that is the case.
DtG
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Inexpensive music downloads

Originally Posted by obkacey (Post #11)
itunes cost a buck
I used to download a $1 “.wma” music file from buy.com to keep each of various familial accounts open on AA, DL, NW, UA, and US. As of 2009, buy.com has discontinued their music download service.

Does anyone know any other airline shopping mall partner company, other than iTunes, that offers music downloads?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The “Andrew's Frequent Flyer Resource Comparison Table” thread is a good source of information on miles that can be earnt whilst shopping.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...n-updated.html
Old Jan 19, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, WN
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It takes months, and exactly for that reason: They (the merchant and/or online mall operator) typically wait until the allowed time for returns has run out before deciding whether you should get the miles, exactly because it's hard to "recall" miles that have already posted (much easier to withhold miles before they've posted until they're sure you should get the miles).
Actually for UA you should note that if the miles do post and then you return it they WILL deduct the miles from your account. I did this with circuit city last November. Returned and two weeks later the miles were deducted from my UA account with a (xxx) around them. Was quite surreal to see miles deducted from a FF account, a first for me
Old Jan 19, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
Another option is to use SPG, if you happen to be a platinum there is no minimum. I just tranferred 1 (one) entire point to each of several airlines!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
NW/CO do not expire (yet)
No longer true, NW is strongly enforcing their 3-year expiration now. I just got off the phone with Worldperks, and that is what they told me.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:08 pm

Smile Stop miles from expiring

I would order a magazine. Many. like AA, have a shopping program. A magazine subscription can be 500 miles, or more. You can even send it to someone else as a gift. From that point the 18 month starts again.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
My parents who live in India have UA MP accounts and since they don't travel frequently - I need to keep their accounts alive...so I use mileage plus mall to get gift cards (5 or 10$) (Home Depot has been quickest to deposit miles) using their MP number. Very easy way to keep dormant accounts from getting extinct....
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:20 am

i have ff miles with UA and they are due to expire in april. i'm wondering how i can stay active as i do not live in the states anymore (so i cannot go purchase anything, rent a car, etc.,.) and i canceled my credit card also.. so i don't have a credit card either! (i do not do online purchases either)

i was wondering if there was a way i could possibly have my father back home purchase something for me if i gave him my ff#? or what can i do?

any suggestions would be much appreciated! thanks in advance
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by anonymoussoul
i have ff miles with UA and they are due to expire in april. i'm wondering how i can stay active as i do not live in the states anymore (so i cannot go purchase anything, rent a car, etc.,.) and i canceled my credit card also.. so i don't have a credit card either! (i do not do online purchases either)

i was wondering if there was a way i could possibly have my father back home purchase something for me if i gave him my ff#? or what can i do?

any suggestions would be much appreciated! thanks in advance
Have your father login to United's MileagePlus Mall using your MP number, then make a purchase and pay for it with his card. A single iTunes purchase is perfect if you are trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

I know this has worked for folks when both the purchaser and the recipient are here in the States (i.e. parent buying for child). I can't address whether United would flag it due to your overseas residency. However, a quick check of the T&C for MP Mall does not show any restrictions concerning country of residence.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:00 am

The two methods we have used to keep our kids miles (AA, UA) active are (1) Wall Street Journal / magazine subscriptions (2) Safeway Club Card program with UA
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With UA, if you have enough miles to redeem an award, you can put an award on hold and then cancel it during the hold period (or wait for it to cancel automatically, though I don't recommend that). Since UA deducts the miles at the time of the hold, this is activity that extends the expiration.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
1. This type of question has been asked and answered on numerous other threads, both on this forum and the respective airlines' forums.

2. Might I suggest that for the most organized list, simply go to the respective airline's websites and look under the "Earn Miles" and "Redeem Miles" topics. There are literally dozens, even hundreds, of ways to postpone expiration of miles, and you'll find them all (or nearly) listed in one place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.