Airline Status Match Master Thread: 2009 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Status Match Master Thread: 2009 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Yep - same happened to me last year, phone rep assured me status was good for the next year and a half and corrected cards arrived much later.
Thanks, Jumpdogjump. Saves me a long on-hold phone call to continental.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: AF GOLD, BA BLUE, SPG Corp, etc
status on FB Platinum?

Hi all, this is a great thread, so useful!

I am FB Platinum, and I have upcoming intercontinental flights on Cathay Pacific, and USAir.
I was wondering if I could get some love (and status match!) from them (or a SA / OW FF program). Extra Luggage and lounge access well appreciated!!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles KM (Charter Member)
Originally Posted by mnredfox
DL Plat looking for new home. Want to match/challenge to UA or CO but have a few questions first.

I know UA is matching EP and 1K right now. I know I can match UA EP as a DL PM with a 30 day 17.5K EQM challenge (according to ua.com). DL thread reports some DM's matching to 1K with a 30K EQM challenge. Do you think UA would match to 1K for a DL PM? I could reach the 30 EQM in 90 days either way, but don't want to match to EP.

CO matches plat status to DL PM with a 35K EQM challenge. Would it be better to just match to CO Plat? What happens when the programs combine? CO Plat is 75 EQM and UA 1K is 100 EQM, do CO Plats drop to UA EP?
I'm curious about this as well.
Any update?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:25 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
Status match recommendations, DL to ???

Delta Platinum here with just 3,500 MQM left till DM and decided not to go there for many good reasons.

While I don't have a ton of flying till end-of-year, several trans cons using any SoCal airport mostly to MCO and one or two to DTW, it's enough to need another airline alliance.

Of course, I could fly any airline as dirt....but why????

Looking for recommendations from my FT friends about ease and quickness of status match of some sort to *A or OW. As I will reach DL Plat again fairly quickly thanks to substantial rollover, this new alliance will become my secondary so there's a great chance I will be able to maintain status in this secondary alliance.

Looking muchly for ease of domestic upgrades (I have one intl trip in January) and ease of maintaining whatever level I can match to. I'd like to complete my match asap. I would hope that the quality of F when upgraded is at least as good as DL, but that is a secondary consideration.

Thanks for any experiences you can relate.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
AA and UA do status challenges - They are probably the two biggest carriers, but I'd look at their forums (as well as others - US, etc.) to get an idea of which carrier's routing works best for you.

Threads that may help:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...turn-coat.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...tching-ua.html

AA: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822023
UA: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-2010-a.html

Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
With the United States now down to 4 network carriers, it's become harder.

American and United both offer nonstop service from LAX to Orlando, and fairly easy connecting service to DTW (AA over ORD, with DFW a little more out of the way; UA over DEN or ORD, with IAH being a little more out of the way).

American offers challengers for a fee; United will offer a challenge of flying X miles/segments in 90 days.

I've heard that LAX-MCO on United can be a tough upgrade, as Disney has a corporate contract on that route for those that need to travel between Mouse House East and Mouse House West/Corporate. Quality wise in F, I'd say Delta probably has the better experience (minus the meal service).
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Since this will be your secondary alliance, I am assuming that you will be below Delta's platinum equivalent in the alliance. Since your primary goal is ease of upgrades, United would be a better choice than American, even if the upgrades are few on United as you likely won't fly enough for free upgrades on American.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Flyer girl
Since this will be your secondary alliance, I am assuming that you will be below Delta's platinum equivalent in the alliance. Since your primary goal is ease of upgrades, United would be a better choice than American, even if the upgrades are few on United as you likely won't fly enough for free upgrades on American.
I do not know about the UA Plat level as I challenged over to UA as a 1K but I can tell you I have been pleasantly surprised. I am actually in ICN as I type this and was OP' uped to the UA J product on the "Premium experience" version 777. The AVOD, contrary to what I have read here, is better than DL. The flat screens are are huge and the selection was incredible. The only issue is there are a few middle seats (I had aisles). Aside from when you are in full 180 lie-flat mode you can walk right out to the aisle anyway. All in all this trip sealed my decision to move.

Here is a cool thing I have not had on DL: The NRT-ICN leg I was upgraded with a wide open Y cabin to the sleeper seats in F! I asked why and the agent at NRT said "because you are a 1K of course". That rarely happens on DL as this was NOT an op-up. Granted it was only a 2.5 hour flight but those FC suites are amazing!

Also 98% on domestic upgrades (99% with a little help from a good FT friend ). So if it has been a while since you tried UA (with status...there is a HUGE difference) then I would say give it a shot.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I do not know about the UA Plat level as I challenged over to UA as a 1K but I can tell you I have been pleasantly surprised. I am actually in ICN as I type this and was OP' uped to the UA J product on the "Premium experience" version 777. The AVOD, contrary to what I have read here, is better than DL. The flat screens are are huge and the selection was incredible. The only issue is there are a few middle seats (I had aisles). Aside from when you are in full 180 lie-flat mode you can walk right out to the aisle anyway. All in all this trip sealed my decision to move.

Here is a cool thing I have not had on DL: The NRT-ICN leg I was upgraded with a wide open Y cabin to the sleeper seats in F! I asked why and the agent at NRT said "because you are a 1K of course". That rarely happens on DL as this was NOT an op-up. Granted it was only a 2.5 hour flight but those FC suites are amazing!

Also 98% on domestic upgrades (99% with a little help from a good FT friend ). So if it has been a while since you tried UA (with status...there is a HUGE difference) then I would say give it a shot.
Was wondering when you would comment.

UA does intra-asia regional upgrades. Not sure if it is because of 1K but it is on their website.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:46 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Was wondering when you would comment.

UA does intra-asia regional upgrades. Not sure if it is because of 1K but it is on their website.
is it? i am not sure if this even true.. this is new with the CO merger but it is only on domestic F seat type route.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
is it? i am not sure if this even true.. this is new with the CO merger but it is only on domestic F seat type route.
Well I can tell you it is true because it just happened to me yesterday. I can scan the BP if you don't believe it and I am sure there is somebody here who can look at the flight (with system access) and report back that it was half full at best. Whatever it was...I am happy and they did call several people to the podium.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:04 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
Have to agree with UA. There is certainly nothing special about Domestic FC on any US carrier but I think the seats are more comfortable on UA and the extra pitch is very welcome to us tall flyers. I have no status with UA so I cant comment on that. Only negative is the E145. UA seems to love them, I think they are the worst planes in the air today. Every flight I take on UA starts with a 3 hr flight on a #@%$ 145!!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ftv
Delta Platinum here with just 3,500 MQM left till DM and decided not to go there for many good reasons.
Your choice, of course, but IMO better to hit DM, then look at a challenge. Staying at DL Plat, you would be (at best) only Plat on UA and only the Gold equivalent with AA.

If you reach DM with DL, more possibilities open up. First, you have SC membership, a nice bennie even if not flying DL. You could even gift GM to someone else if you like. But maybe most important, higher DL status means higher match/challenge status. If still an option (seems to come and go), go for 1K on UA or ExPlat on AA.

I suppose there is also US but sorry, don't follow that airline at all.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Your choice, of course, but IMO better to hit DM, then look at a challenge. Staying at DL Plat, you would be (at best) only Plat on UA and only the Gold equivalent with AA.

If you reach DM with DL, more possibilities open up. First, you have SC membership, a nice bennie even if not flying DL. You could even gift GM to someone else if you like. But maybe most important, higher DL status means higher match/challenge status. If still an option (seems to come and go), go for 1K on UA or ExPlat on AA.

I suppose there is also US but sorry, don't follow that airline at all.
This. From what I can tell 1K is far better than Prem Exec on UA and we do not know how plat will stack up as it is brand new. Use the leverage from DM for the UA challenge if you are going to move. For 3500 miles it is well wort it IMO.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:03 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
What is best for my projected flying is to skip DM and stay Platinum.

That said, is the American Platinum or UA PE a better experience? (AS close to the DL product as I can get.)

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.