Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where would you put 120,000 FF miles now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where would you put 120,000 FF miles now?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2003, 8:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
(Every year, I get a note from the credit card people along with my renewed Gold card. I tend to do about 20 Marriott nights a year, which would otherwise be run-of-the-mill Silver.)</font>
Would you please elaborate? Are you saying you negotiate keeping gold status with Visa? I had no idea that this was even possible. And I have had this credit card for about 15 years I think.

Thanks!

Old Apr 24, 2003, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
pwrshift,

Just remember that you do have an alternative to miles. If you send your miles to AA or CO, you can then covert those miles to 240,000 HHonors points!

If you like this idea, I'd suggest send them to AA as this will count towards earning lifetime status with AA.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by paradocs:
Would you please elaborate? Are you saying you negotiate keeping gold status with Visa? I had no idea that this was even possible. And I have had this credit card for about 15 years I think.

Thanks!

</font>
No...it's not that. I signed up for the MR Visa when they had a promotion that I *think* they offered to their Silvers that didn't already have the card. Basically, take the card, and we bump you up a level to Gold.

I thought it would just be for one year, and then I'd go back to Silver (the standard level for MR Visa holders and my 'real' level with 15-20 nights per year at Marriotts). However, the Gold cards keep coming... Not sure if this is a glitch, if I'm getting it because I'm qualifying for Silver and getting a bump, or if I will continue to get it even if I do zero stays for a year or more. In 2003, I'm moving a ton of stays to Priceline, so I won't requalify for any hotel status legitimately. We'll see if the Gold card shows up again next year...
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Thanks for explaining, Pinniped! You had some great luck on this one! I hope it holds out for you.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 3:59 pm

pwrshift,
AA isn't going anywhere. And in my experience they seem to have more tickets in their FF program. I just converted a 250K cert, converted the miles to 4 1st class upgrades, NYC to Maui, which was like a $12K value.
As for the overall programs, Hilton doesn't have the breadth of hotels nor the quality, IMHO.

Thanks again for the July 4th Williamsburg.

Regards.
Joe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.