Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

A summary of what happens with your miles after death?

Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some

This thread on AA forum got me wondering about the various ways programs treat or allow miles to be used after death. I think it will be useful to have a summary in one place.

Please provide information on your programs.

Miles expire upon death
Note that in some circumstances the miles can be used if the program is unaware of the death.
  • AF Flying Blue
  • CX Asia Miles
  • HA
  • KL Flying Blue
  • NW WorldPerks
  • NZ Airpoints
  • QF Frequent Flyer

Miles may be transferred as part of estate upon death
Please advise if there are program restrictions on who the beneficiary(s) are (eg can only be transferred to a single person, can only be transferred to immediate family).
  • AA AAdvantage (fee $50 if >10,000 miles)
  • AC Aeroplan (fee C$30 + C$0.01 per mile)
  • CO OnePass (inheritor must be a OnePass member at time of the deceased's death)
  • DJ Velocity Rewards
  • DL SkyMiles
  • EK Skywards (miles expire upon death but can apply to transfer to heir)
  • US Dividend Miles

Other
Please advise the treatment.
  • BA Executive Club (miles expire upon death but easily circumvented through household account)
  • UA Mileage Plus (miles expire upon death but FTers report successful transfers, with $75 fee)

Updated to post #15.

zzz

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 3, 2008 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
According to UA's MP Program Rules:

Accrued mileage and certificates do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage nor certificates are transferable (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
NZ Airpoints:

8.6 Accumulated Airpoints Dollars and any other benefits related to the Programme are not your property. Accumulated Airpoints Dollars are not transferable except:
• in accordance with clause 1.4.5; or
• if required by law

8.9.2 Your Membership will terminate on your death. Airpoints Dollars and any other benefits earned but not redeemed at the time of your death will be cancelled for no consideration, unless a transfer is permitted in accordance with clause 8.6. We'll terminate your Account when we receive notification of your death.
Note clause 1.4.5 refers to joint Global Plus accounts.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
This reminds me! I need to make a list of all my memberships, acct. #s, passwords, & usernames for my Executors & Trustees!

Some airlines will transfer to a person named as a primary heir in the deceased person's will or to anyone specified in a letter signed by the executor, submitted with proof of executor status.

If not, just issue awards from the decedent's acct. in whoever's name. Of course, this won't help with odd amounts.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Inside Flyer ran a piece on this a few years ago:
http://www.insideflyer.com/articles/...e.php?key=1641

American AAdvantage: Mileage does not need to be specified in the will but American does require a copy of the pages, which identify the decedent's name, the executor's or personal representative's name, and a page showing the date of execution and signature of the maker. If the AAdvantage account is specifically mentioned, a copy of that page must be included as well. If the AAdvantage account has less than 10,000 miles, only proof of death is required; if more than 10,000 miles -- a transfer fee of $50 will be charged.

Continental OnePass: Transfer to a surviving spouse or a named beneficiary may be done provided the inheritor is also a OnePass program member at the time of the account member's death. The account does not need to be mentioned in the will, but Continental does require a copy of the death certificate and a testimentary letter appointing the executor who authorizes the transfer of miles to the inheriting member. Continental charges no fee for the transfer.

Delta SkyMiles: Mileage does not need to be specified in the will but Delta does require a copy of the will if the beneficiary is not the spouse. If there is more than one heir, and the account is not specifically assigned to any one heir, a letter from all the heirs is needed to assign the account to any one of them. Delta charges no fee for the transfer.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:42 am

Programs: DL, AA
Delta has a special form to fill out in order to request the transfer: http://images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/affidavit.pdf

Note: I just realized this form still has the "old" blue/red widget. I don't know if DL hasn't updated the form or if it is no longer valid. But as you can see, it is still on the site.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:45 am

Qantas Frequent Flyer:

8.3 Membership will terminate automatically on the death of a Member. Points earned but not yet redeemed or transferred prior to the death of the Member will be cancelled. Qantas will close the Member's account on notification of the Member's death. Qantas will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered by any person as a result of such cancellation.

Virgin Blue Velocity:

If you die, VRPL will give the executors or administrators of your estate an opportunity to notify VRPL within 12 months after your death with their wishes regarding Points allocated to you at the time of your death.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Northwest's policy

Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among WorldPerks members or conveyed by any means to anyone, including through a member’s estate, and may not pass to members’ successors and assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award certificates and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, award certificates nor tickets are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter or (iii) otherwise. Mileage earned from another frequent flyer program cannot be transferred to the WorldPerks program.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Aeroplan's policy

Aeroplan Terms and Conditions state that Aeroplan Miles or Rewards are personal and cannot be assigned, traded, willed or otherwise transferred. However, reflecting its desire to express compassion, Aeroplan's practice is to allow the transfer of miles.

The legal beneficiary or beneficiaries may request that miles be transferred to their account(s) for an administration fee of C$30 plus C$0.01 per mile transferred (plus taxes where applicable).
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is what Asia Miles (CX) states with regards to death of a member:
Upon the death of a member the membership account will be closed and all outstanding Mileage Credits will be cancelled.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Miles expire upon death. Note that in some circumstances the miles can be used if the program is unaware of the death,

CX Asia Miles
NW WorldPerks
NZ Airpoints
QF Frequent Flyer
UA Mileage Plus
I asked this question in April of last year in this thread. Also mentioned were HA, BA (except for household accounts) and Flying Blue - I don't know if those are still valid.

Last edited by singlemalt; Jan 28, 2008 at 4:46 pm
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
From the United Forum FAQ:

Mileage Plus - Transferring Miles Upon Death of Member?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343634
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:24 am

Emirates:

(A bit each way really!)

1.5 Membership is automatically terminated on the death or bankruptcy of a Member. Miles accumulated prior to termination in these circumstances will be immediately cancelled. However, Skywards may, at its own discretion, reinstate Miles in favour of the heirs of the deceased Member upon the application of his or her personal representative.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Miles expire upon death
Note that in some circumstances the miles can be used if the program is unaware of the death.

[*]HA
While true, it's worth noting that HA miles are transferable for no fee to any HA FF account, given that recipient has a Bank of America HA Visa. No fee, no fuss. Recipient can receive 'pooled' miles up to 10 times per calendar year.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
From USAIR Dividend Miles Guide online:
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...aspx#memrights
(USAir) Mileage transferability
All outstanding mileage may be transferred to the estate of a member upon a member’s death, after production of appropriate documentation such as a death certificate and proof of beneficiary within 6 months of the member's passing. Miles cannot be transferred if the deceased member's account has been inactive for more than 36 months at the time of the member's passing. Mileage may not be transferred to any other person except pursuant to these rules.

DIVIDEND MILES SERVICE CENTER
US AIRWAYS
P.O. Box 025458 • Miami, FL 33102
1-800-428-4322 or better # 1-800-949-0427 per the USAir Gold line

(I got 10 or so points last year added by creating a Points.com link for a relative's USAir account, to keep the miles still active, anticipating their non-use or passing.)

*** There is always the means to transfer miles to a charity, such as ARC / make-a-wish / children's miracle network for emergency travel, etc. ****

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.