100,000 Miles in 45 Days Renting Cars

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100,000 Miles in 45 Days Renting Cars

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Talking 100,000 Miles in 45 Days Renting Cars

Introduction:
Earlier today, I reserved the last of my car rentals to hit a unique milestone. I am not sure if it is craziness that is driving me or simply just the opportunity to amass tons of airline miles at a low cost. Maybe it's both. I am an active participant in the Mileage Run Forum and view my current "car hopping" as an extension of that pursuit of high miles at low cost. Additionally, I want to ensure my elite status in both Hertz and National is secured for another year.

The Challenge:

Can I accrue 100,000 miles in 45 days exclusively from renting cars. Why 45 days, you may ask? Well, Northwest Airlines started a promotion on December 10 and my first scheduled National rental was around December 15. Meanwhile, Continental started a promotion set to end January 31. The dates were defined, the challenge of topping up my BMI, Virgin Atlantic, and Continental Frequent Flyer Accounts was set, and I am ready to compete.

Offers I took advantage of:
Drive Your Way to 25K with National
Earn 9,999 Bonus Miles and Save up to 20% at Budget
BMI 1700 Miles Per Rental
Double (2000) Virgin Atlantic miles on Weekend Rentals
AAA $25 Off Weekend Rentals at Hertz
Delta Partner Bonus - Earn up to 25k RDM
Budget FastBreak offer (I got my miles )

Additional coupons and discount codes were found in the Car Rental Programs Forum as well as on the fatwallet Updated Rental Car Discount/Coupon thread.

Problems:
I overslept one Saturday morning and forgot to return a car causing an additional $35 in charges. Parking has also been an issue as I do not want to pay for parking and also want to ensure that the cars are safe. Additionally, I was forced to create an extensive Excel worksheet to track all costs, pickup and drop off times, and which cars get parked where. I did lose an item in one of these cars and I am not sure which one I left it in. Finally, my personal health is a bit challenging as I am fighting off a cold and all these runs to the airport and park n ride are not helping me heal any faster!

Am I alone in this matter? Is anyone actively participating in the Budget/Delta 3,000 mile offer or the Double BMI Miles Hertz Promotion or any of the above?

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Mar 18, 2008 at 1:12 am
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Results

As of Febraury 1, 2008:
Estimated Total Miles Earned: 103,346
Estimated Total $$$ Spent: $ $1,206.10
Cost Per Mile in Cents (CPM): 1.18
Total Rental Days: 74
Total # Cars Rented: 29
Average Rental Length: 2.55 Days
Max Cars Rented At Same Time: 6 (this was a pain)
Average Cost Per Rental: $16.30
Most expensive cost per mile: 2.98 cents per mile
Least expensive cost per mile: 0.41 cents per mile
Mean cost per mile: 1.18

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Jan 31, 2008 at 11:19 pm
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Cars Driven So Far:
Buick Lucerne
Chevy Aveo
Chevy Cobalt
Chevy HHR
Chevy Malibu Classic
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Honda Accord
Kia Rio
Kia Rondo
Mazda 3
Mazda 6
Nissan Sentra
Pontiac G6 Sedan, Convertible
Subaru Forrester
Toyota Camry
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Prius
Volvo S60

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Feb 1, 2008 at 1:31 am
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:57 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
You hooked me on the BMI deal

But I understand there may be a problem getting the double miles??? Any success contactin BMI with that yet?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:15 am
njm

Programs: AGR, CO
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Problems:
I overslept one Saturday morning and forgot to return a car causing an additional $35 in charges. Parking has also been an issue as I do not want to pay for parking and also want to ensure that the cars are safe. Additionally, I was forced to create an extensive Excel worksheet to track all costs, pickup and drop off times, and which cars get parked where. I did lose an item in one of these cars and I am not sure which one I left it in. Finally, my personal health is a bit challenging as I am fighting off a cold and all these runs to the airport and park n ride are not helping me heal any faster!
I have to admit, I laughed out loud reading the "Problems" section above. This sounds like a really great idea, I was thinking, and then I just thought what that paragraph would sound like to a non-FTer.

I do have one quick question... these are not elite-qualifying miles, are they? I mean of course they shouldn't be, but I just wanted to check.

Other question, just to put this in context: what do you plan to use the 100k miles for? I'm just asking because it'd be nice to hear that all the parking and the early wakeups and trudging about while you're sick is worth it for some sweet business-class ticket somewhere.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
While I find this an interesting (and entertaining) idea, and applaud you for your resourcefulness, the promos don't provide enough value in my view. Your anticipated results of 1.14-1.25 cpm is more than I would pay outright for miles, not including the hassles and time involved in jockeying cars around. Good luck with the rest of your rentals!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, NW Silver
Damned impressive.... a little frightening, but DAMNED impressive.

Fight the good fight brother!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:30 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
If you're flying Delta at any point in that period (how could you, with your busy car-renting schedule?), be aware that Delta is awarding 2500 Skymiles for booking an Avis or Budget car rental through Delta in conjunction with the flight booking. I wonder if that stacks with the 3,000 Skymiles Budget is offering. They're also offering 1000 Skymiles for booking reservations with other car companies.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:49 am

Hats off to you! I did try renting once last week (thanks for the PM!) but ended up canceling it as it was a hassle for me.

But the massive amount of miles are definitely worth it given the low cost, just if you don't mind the hassle.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:52 pm

Great post!

Great Post OP. Losts to learn for me.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:03 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Am I the only one here thinking OCD?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ingy
But I understand there may be a problem getting the double miles??? Any success contactin BMI with that yet?
No success, but the currency valuation difference between the BMI UK Hertz site and the US$ has knocked $1-$3 off each Hertz rental.

Originally Posted by njm
I do have one quick question... these are not elite-qualifying miles, are they? I mean of course they shouldn't be, but I just wanted to check.
These are Redeemable Miles (RDM) to be used in CO, BD, NW, and VS in descending order of earning.

Originally Posted by njm
Other question, just to put this in context: what do you plan to use the 100k miles for? I'm just asking because it'd be nice to hear that all the parking and the early wakeups and trudging about while you're sick is worth it for some sweet business-class ticket somewhere.
Historically, I redeemed for trips to TLV. Fortunately, this route is becoming more competitive and dropping prices. Accordingly, S. America C tickets and exploring Asia in F are next on my list of redemption options alongside the planned future trips to NZ and AU.

Originally Posted by MileKing
Your anticipated results of 1.14-1.25 cpm is more than I would pay outright for miles, not including the hassles and time involved in jockeying cars around.
My current schedule no longer requires any lengthy work travel. I don't mind the mileage runs, but miss out spending crazy weekends in Vegas. Is there a different method of "buying miles" that is working better for you besides flying? I am definitely game for anything.

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
If you're flying Delta at any point in that period (how could you, with your busy car-renting schedule?), be aware that Delta is awarding 2500 Skymiles for booking an Avis or Budget car rental through Delta in conjunction with the flight booking. I wonder if that stacks with the 3,000 Skymiles Budget is offering. They're also offering 1000 Skymiles for booking reservations with other car companies.
It took me a few minutes to find this link, but it gave me some time to reacquaint myself with the DL forum and find this Budget FastBreak offer.

Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Hats off to you! I did try renting once last week (thanks for the PM!) but ended up canceling it as it was a hassle for me.

But the massive amount of miles are definitely worth it given the low cost, just if you don't mind the hassle.
Sorry to hear that rental did not work out for you. 100k miles is definitely worth it to me. After suffering a transcon on Regional Jets last year, this is nothing! SYR-CVG-CLE-IAH-SLC hurt my back; renting cars is cake!

Originally Posted by Keflyer
Great Post OP. Losts to learn for me.
Originally Posted by chardo
Damned impressive.... a little frightening, but DAMNED impressive.

Fight the good fight brother!
Thanks

Originally Posted by pushback
Am I the only one here thinking OCD?
You may be viewing the wrong forum

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Jan 12, 2008 at 5:14 am Reason: URL typo
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:52 am

I have no problem with the cpm here, the "hassles and time involved in" a MR would have been a lot more. Seriously, unless it's a leisure run, what does one get in return other than the miles? I think benefits of a rental car run are often overlooked. Besides the miles, you also get a car to drive, which you need to do anyway. Not having to pile miles on my own car has values to me.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
And I thought the Mileage Runners were a bit looney...
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: UA1K, AA EXP, CO Plat, BD*G, NW, DL, Priority Club, SPG & Marriott
For the BMI deal, is it necessary for me to book online at BMI website to get the double miles promotion? Somehow, for the same date and same car, booking via BMI website costs USD 43.85 while booking via Priority Club website costs USD 36.27. So you know what I am thinking, I will book thru PC and credit the points to BMI Diamond club. What do you guys think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.