Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do car dealers allow use of credit card ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do car dealers allow use of credit card ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Platinum, AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, GHA Platinum
Just bought a car on Amex - hello 22,500 miles PLUS 15,000 bonus miles!

Thanks to all you nice people and your helpful advice I was confidently negotiating with car dealers, advising them that paying for the entire car purchase with my Delta Amex was a must, a dealbreaker. Initially ALL dealers said they cap credit card purchases at (variably) $2,000, $3,000 or $5,000. However, being bonus miles-driven, I kept e-mailing dealers. Most came around, but wanted ME to pay the 2% or 3% merchant credit card fee. Finally one dealer (located far away) said he just got approval to charge the full car on my Amex, without charging me the dealer fee. I then had this "ammunition" in negotiating with a dealer nearby (couple miles from my house), who gave me the same deal! Very exciting, and k-ching on the bonus miles! Thank you all again! Tanya
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, Alaska MileagePlan, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by tanyag
Thanks to all you nice people and your helpful advice I was confidently negotiating with car dealers, advising them that paying for the entire car purchase with my Delta Amex was a must, a dealbreaker. Initially ALL dealers said they cap credit card purchases at (variably) $2,000, $3,000 or $5,000. However, being bonus miles-driven, I kept e-mailing dealers. Most came around, but wanted ME to pay the 2% or 3% merchant credit card fee. Finally one dealer (located far away) said he just got approval to charge the full car on my Amex, without charging me the dealer fee. I then had this "ammunition" in negotiating with a dealer nearby (couple miles from my house), who gave me the same deal! Very exciting, and k-ching on the bonus miles! Thank you all again! Tanya

just curious, has anyone ever tried paying for a car in full in coins? lol
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Local MB Dealer let me CC 10k, and took a check for the rest....

Took 3 days for the check to clear and the dealer to clean the vehicle up...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Wow a 7 year old thread has been resurrected from the abyss!

Originally Posted by tanyag
I'm not sure if walking into the dealer stating that you plan to use a CC is the best course of action. Very likely the guy who's willing to take the full payment for the car on your AMEX has already made sure that your negotiated price is at least 2-3% higher than the would be cash price.

But, who knows. Maybe you got a deal. Can't really say since I have no clue what you bought, nor would I be an expert if I did know.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:44 pm

I found a great deal on my last car from a company that sells cars previously stolen or totaled through insurance companies. My credit union issued me a bank draft but the company wouldn't accept it as the car had a rebuilt title which would take the State about 30 days to issue and they didn't want to wait that long to get paid.

They allowed me to put the full amount on credit cards but charged me a 3% surcharge.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Platinum, AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, GHA Platinum
Buying car on Amex AFTER negotiating the best price

Sorry for the lack of clarity - prior to making Amex a dealbreaker I spent days researching online and negotiating the best possible car price and rebates with multiple dealers, being rewarded over $2,000 in savings for my patience! So then the dealer with the lowest price ALSO agreed to take my Amex for the car purchase!!!! Odometer reading on car - 3 (three) miles, bought it off the showroom floor! And I didn't walk into the dealership demanding this, all negotiating was done by e-mail (which of course I printed out "just in case" when I went to the dealer. I had a lurking suspicion the dealer might back-pedal on the deal - but no, the deal went through exactly as agreed by e-mail, not a penny more! And they weren't pushy on the options, either, just a really pleasant experience all around that I wish all of you, my SKY FRIENDS!!! Tanya
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
When buying from a car dealer they are also paid a comission on the finance part of the deal many time...many even keep a finance person at the dealership.

Let them think you are financing the vehicle, at the last minute tell them you will take care of your own financing,
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Wow a 7 year old thread has been resurrected from the abyss!
To be more precise, this is bumping an almost 8-year-old thread.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:53 am

Programs: UA AA and more
I just got a car and paid $2500 with a card.
I got to the dealer from the Amex website which, to me, meant that they have to take the card. It was REALLY far from where I live so I decided not to start with the "merchant agreement" argument as their price was far far better than any other dealership I checked and I had no intention on not buying the car.

anyway, $2500 out of the required $4000 for the 75K bonus on the AA card are done.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I paid $27k for a Ford at at dealer in suburban Detroit. Previously negotiated the price & then when it came time to pay I pulled out credit cards. They said "no problem", but VISA/MC only (no AMEX).
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
I have bought three 50 - 70 k cars on the card when I have ordered them to my specs. This has included a cad, a BMW and a Volvo.

Otherwise, they take only several k

The first, the charge goes to the company instead of the dealer

Also, paid only $100 over dealer cost minus rebate. If you have the time, best way to go.. Have to wait 6 months ave to get car
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:58 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I charged a 4k down payment once. The odd thing was the salesman didn't care and probably just wanted me to take it off his hands and get out of there. (when I wanted a test drive, he gave me the keys and said to call if I'd be more than 24 hours. No paperwork). It really just depends, but I think it makes good sense to use it as a bargaining chip. That 4k was only worth 40 to me.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:13 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
If they accept it willingly, then you are paying too much for the car!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:33 am
xp0

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
If they accept it willingly, then you are paying too much for the car!
LoL!

I was allowed to put 2,500 on my CC with the car I just bought last weekend. Fine for me
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:28 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I had bargained the price for a new car and was planning to pay cash but the transfer to my checking account from a stock sale would not be available for 2 more days. I wanted to pick up the car that day and asked if I could put it on my Amex. The salesman said sure but he would have to charge me the 2% that he pays Amex. We struck a deal that he would hold the charge for 3 days and then put it through if I did not show up with a cashiers check.

When he called Amex for approval they just wanted to speak to me to verify my ID and approved it.

I returned 2 days later with the check and he tore up the charge slip.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jan 8, 2011 at 8:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.