Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do car dealers allow use of credit card ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do car dealers allow use of credit card ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2003, 9:22 pm

I was told that there is a technicality that the dealers don't like with credit card purchases. If you buy a car with cash or loan there is no cooling off period (you can't change your mind and bring the car back). If you charge the entire car, the credit card allows you to return the car for up to 3 days with no penalty.

I just bought a $15k motorcycle on my Alaska card.

------------------
Al D
Placerville, Ca
Old Jan 31, 2003, 4:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I just came back signing a new car deal. The dealer allowed $4000 on my AMEX DL card.
Old Jan 31, 2003, 5:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I just came back signing a new car deal. The dealer allowed $4000 on my AMEX DL card.
Old Jan 31, 2003, 11:20 pm

I don't believe in charge the whole amount onto the car. someone would have to pay for the 2-2.5% charges dealer is paying, that would be YOU.

I believe most dealer would take a deposit of up to approximately $3000, that is for in case your checks bounced, or finacing fell through. last time (3 days ago) I bought a car, I did not have my regular check book with me, so my wife wrote the dealer a check from an account with insufficient fund, we had to transfer money the next day. so dealer basically took my check based on my credit score. the $3000 I put on the credit is some kind of insurance I guess.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 6:15 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Everybody here talks about how the dealer "allows" them to charge a certain amount.

As previous posters mention, the merchant agreement states they must take whatever amount you desire, as long as you have the credit.

If they won't, call your bank and report the dealer. They could lose their agreement with MC/V/AMEX if they don't accept your purchase.

This also applies to that corner store that says $10 minimum charge to CC's.

This is the bottom line.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 7:26 pm

Yep, $32,000 on my Visa. I used one of them balance transfer checks. 0% interst for a year and I got 3200 cash back for paying in full, plus I was able to save $9000 off the msrp.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 12:21 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BearX220:
The MINI Cooper dealer in our area allows up to $1500 on CC. </font>

You have a MC? Is it as fun as it appears?? (My PT Cruiser was just destroyed by a Post Office tank. Am thinking Hummer today, but tomorrow coudl be bright sunshine yellow Mini Cooper.

------------------
lili
shopping her way to first class
Old Feb 2, 2003, 11:18 am

An interesting article about buying a car with a credit card:
http://www.debtsmart.com/pages/artic...on_credit.html

The most interesting thing in that article is this:
"First, when you use a credit card, the loan is unsecured. That means that if for some reason you have financial problems in the future, your car is not in jeopardy of being repossessed. You own it outright. The bank can't visit you in the middle of the night and drive it away. "
Old Feb 2, 2003, 9:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chix:
Everybody here talks about how the dealer "allows" them to charge a certain amount.

As previous posters mention, the merchant agreement states they must take whatever amount you desire, as long as you have the credit.

If they won't, call your bank and report the dealer. They could lose their agreement with MC/V/AMEX if they don't accept your purchase.

This also applies to that corner store that says $10 minimum charge to CC's.

This is the bottom line.
</font>

I believe this is incorrect. I have read somewhere that car dealers are exempt from this rule.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:16 pm

My local BMW Dealer allowed me to charge the entire amount ($28K) and this was after working the sales manager down to his lowest selling price. I pulled out my CC and said I'll take it so please charge it onto my CC. Over the years, I have asked my friends at work to let me charge their down payments for vehicles and found that it is dealer specific for this. Some dealers will only let you charge $2000 and some up to $5000.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 8:23 am

I had better luck with this buying through a broker, none of the dealers would allow over 1-2k in cc, but i put down 4k when going through the broker.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 5:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I first negotiated the price of my car a few weeks ago. I think I got a great deal on my used car considering how much other dealers were selling similar equipped cars. I was allowed to charge whatever I wanted on the card. I charged $8,000 on my Starwood AMEX. They said I could have charged the whole thing if I wanted (I asked).
Old Feb 5, 2003, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
IMHO if the dealer lets you put the car on a card you've not gotten them to give you a low enough price.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 9:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
IMHO if the dealer lets you put the car on a card you've not gotten them to give you a low enough price.</font>
AGREE!!! if the dealer is willing to eat the 2% charge of your $20,000 car, that mean you could of gotten at least $400 lower on the car. potentially a lot more, dealer is probably laughing all the way to the bank. that's why he is letting you charge it on the card.

It is just simple math!!! won't the dealer rather give you another $200 off than lose out $400 on the credit card fees?
Old Feb 6, 2003, 10:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Yep, $32,000 on my Visa. I used one of them balance transfer checks. 0% interst for a year and I got 3200 cash back for paying in full, plus I was able to save $9000 off the msrp.
</font>
10% cash back? Is it a typo? If not, which credit card do you have? I want one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.