Wiki Posts
Search

Continental to United miles and vice versa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2002, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BOS - UA 2P, SPG Plat
Continental to United miles and vice versa

Has anyone tried transferring CO miles to UA and/or vice versa via Amtrak Guest Rewards? I understand it is 1:1:1...

Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2002, 9:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mindgame:
CO miles to UA and/or vice versa via Amtrak Guest Rewards</font>
You can do CO --&gt; Amtrak --&gt; UA (and yes, it's 1:1:1), but not the other way around. You can also transfer Midwest Express miles to CO or UA through Amtrak, also 1:1:1.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I describe it on my website here: http://neat.blogspot.com/2002_09_01_....html#81019754
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Laundering points through Amtrak.
Need to top off your United Mileage Plus account? Did you know you can transfer Continental and Midwest Express miles into United miles, 1:1? They don't advertise it this way, but here's how it works. Open an Amtrak Guest Rewards account. You can transfer Midwest Express miles and Continental miles into your Amtrak account. You can then transfer these Amtrak points into United miles. This all should be done in 5000 point increments.

You can also transfer Continental ---&gt; Amtrak --&gt; Midwest Express. However, you can not transfer United --&gt; Amtrak, so you can't turn your United miles into Continental or Midwest Express miles.

Now is a good time to get rid of any Midwest Express miles you may have. Starting October 1, it will take 25% more miles for a free ticket (20,000 increased to 25,000).</font>
Edited to add that laundering points through Amtrak means that you can finally transfer American Express Membership Rewards points 1:1 into united miles. Amex MR points transfer 1:1 into Continental. Continental transfers 1:1 into Amtrak (in blocks of 5,000). Amtrak transfers 1:1 into united. Voila! Amex MR--&gt;united... a previously impossible task.

------------------
"Would you convey my compliments to the purist who reads your proofs and tell him or her that I write in a sort of broken-down patois which is something like the way a Swiss waiter talks, and that when I split an
infinitive, d*** it, I split it so that it will stay split."
- Raymond Chandler, to the editor of the Atlantic Monthly, 1947

More Room Throughout Coach: the Website of Free Miles and Free Markets

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:17 am

Thanks for the info! Great way to move those OnePass miles so they can actually be redeemed!
Old Sep 5, 2002, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, this happens a lot. I've been through both the OP and GR websites and couldn't figure out how to start the transfer from OnePass to GuestRewards. Do I do it in the OP website or GR and where do I look?

Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2002, 1:19 pm

I've moved miles from CO--&gt;Amtrak--&gt;UA and it works.

You have to call CO customer service and ask that they move the miles to Amtrak. I know of no way to do that online. However once the miles hit Amtrak, you can move them to UA online.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
The new FT AMTRAK forum has threads with all the trials and tribulations of converting miles to United:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forumcgi/fo...=100&SUBMIT=Go

Hardly anyone goes there, but if you open all the threads for the last 100 days, you should get them all as the Forum only started back in March when markbach posted the first thread.

[This message has been edited by lisamcgu (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old Sep 5, 2002, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
Thank you for all the links and information. I just called the Onepass service center. After being put on hold twice, the rep said it would take 3-4 weeks to transfer the 5000 miles. If this works, I'm planning on moving enough points from AmEx MR to CO so I can clear out my Onepass account. Now I just need to figure out how to move my US miles to somewhere useful.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Wow, this is good news! I didn't know that it was possible. I will try tomorrow.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 1:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Does CO still participate in CO --&gt; Amtrak transfers? If so, could you provide a link?

The one gleff posted is now broken, and I couldn't find it on the OnePass site.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 1:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rut Dog:
Does CO still participate in CO --&gt; Amtrak transfers? </font>
Yes. Call CO and request a transfer to Amtrak, works in 5,000 miles increments.

Old Jan 22, 2003, 5:33 pm

It should be noted here as well that while the CO--&gt;Amtrak transfers can still be made, and followed by Amtrak--&gt;UA transfers, Amtrak now imposes a limit on all transfers out of an Amtrak account to 25,000 miles per calendar year.

[This message has been edited by Mountain Trader (edited 01-22-2003).]
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
Works like a charm ---and goes through pretty quickly too....I cleaned out my One-Pass account as it was impossible to claim any awards since I have no status...
Old Jan 30, 2003, 10:24 am

Programs: Oz Diamond,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ReneeMoss:
Works like a charm ---and goes through pretty quickly too....</font>
May I ask what is the time frame for the transactions?
I just cleared out my OnePass account yesterday. When will the points transfer into my Amtrak's account and I can move forward. Thank you for your reply.

Polar Bear
Old Jan 30, 2003, 11:28 am

Polar Bear-

The times I moved miles from COto Amtrak, they said it would take 6 or 8 weeks, but the miles arrived in a four or five days. Same thing for the Amtrak to UA transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.