Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

My Flyertalker Yearly Spreadsheet

My Flyertalker Yearly Spreadsheet

Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lehava
One thing I plan to keep for the next year is scheduled departure and arrival vs actuals. I want to see for a year just how much time delays are costing me!!!!
Not a bad way to pass the time... while you are waiting on the tarmac.

_______
http://StatusMatcher.com - Travel like a champ!
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I've updated the spreadsheet collection with a nice contrib from N515CR, a spreadsheet which tracks multiple airline programs with miles/city pair data built in. http://stonecarver.com/flyertalk/spreadsheet.html
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've updated the spreadsheet collection once more, a couple new ones.

If you have a different spreadsheet template that you would like to share with the community, please PM me or e-mail me through the spreadsheet page. URL in my sig.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:36 am

Now that is a resurrection!

Thanks, found somethings that gave me an idea.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, UA Silver; 800K+ points 2012
Thanks for updating this. As most of the spreadsheets up to date with current program details, or if not which ones are the most recent?

Thanks, John
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The most recent is Gobluetwo's 2012 mileage tracking template.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, UA Silver; 800K+ points 2012
I'm personally a spreadsheet junkie... I'm sure some of these other ones are documented extensively elsewhere, but just in case anyone else is looking for them, here's some other good tables/spreadsheets:

MillionMileSecrets has a good section putting together many of the different award charts.

The Man of a Thousand Places blog has put together some excellent spreadsheets/resources as well, including:
  • A churn planning tool that I used for my first 410,000 mile/point churn!
  • Airline miles valuation
  • Hotel points valuation
  • Several others

Anyone have any other good spreadsheets/workbooks?

- John
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Thanks for resurrecting this thread. This makes my little attempt look pretty feeble.

Cheers
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former Hilton Diamond and Marriott Plat
I don't travel for business anymore, but I still do a bunch for personal and fun, so I decided to keep maintaining status. However, this has necessitated a few mileage runs, and last year I didn't do the math until so late in the year, I spent Christmas in Vegas.

So I decided to make a spreadsheet so that I would always know where I was/will be.

First try was to take the ARPT.DAT out of the old Flying Fish program and calculate distance using various Great Circle formulas that I found throughout the web. However, I kept getting slight differences between the formulas and the AA / IATA distance (ORD-MCO was 1006 instead of 1005 and PHL-DUB was 3263 instead of 3273).

Then I got directed to this thread and was able to use the table of AA city pairs from one of the spreadsheets posted above. However, its from 2005 and especially with the US merger, there are tons of routes missing.

So... A) Anyone have any idea why none of these formulas work and all are slightly off base? The source data is from Flying Fish and that gets the right distance, so it's something in the calculation.
=3958*((2*ASIN(SQRT((SIN((RADIANS(H10)-RADIANS(J10))/2)^2)+ COS(RADIANS(H10))*COS(RADIANS(J10))* (SIN((RADIANS(I10)-RADIANS(K10))/2)^2)))))
=ACOS(COS(RADIANS(90-H10)) *COS(RADIANS(90-J10)) +SIN(RADIANS(90-H10)) *SIN(RADIANS(90-J10)) *COS(RADIANS(I10-K10))) *3958
=ACOS( SIN(H10*PI()/180)*SIN(J10*PI()/180) + COS(H10*PI()/180)*COS(J10*PI()/180)*COS(K10*PI()/180-I10*PI()/180) ) * 6371000 * 0.000621371

Or... B) Does anyone have an updated AA route chart, or something scrapable to create one with all the new routes?

Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyPok1
I don't travel for business anymore, but I still do a bunch for personal and fun, so I decided to keep maintaining status. However, this has necessitated a few mileage runs, and last year I didn't do the math until so late in the year, I spent Christmas in Vegas.

So I decided to make a spreadsheet so that I would always know where I was/will be.

First try was to take the ARPT.DAT out of the old Flying Fish program and calculate distance using various Great Circle formulas that I found throughout the web. However, I kept getting slight differences between the formulas and the AA / IATA distance (ORD-MCO was 1006 instead of 1005 and PHL-DUB was 3263 instead of 3273).

Then I got directed to this thread and was able to use the table of AA city pairs from one of the spreadsheets posted above. However, its from 2005 and especially with the US merger, there are tons of routes missing.

So... A) Anyone have any idea why none of these formulas work and all are slightly off base? The source data is from Flying Fish and that gets the right distance, so it's something in the calculation.
=3958*((2*ASIN(SQRT((SIN((RADIANS(H10)-RADIANS(J10))/2)^2)+ COS(RADIANS(H10))*COS(RADIANS(J10))* (SIN((RADIANS(I10)-RADIANS(K10))/2)^2)))))
=ACOS(COS(RADIANS(90-H10)) *COS(RADIANS(90-J10)) +SIN(RADIANS(90-H10)) *SIN(RADIANS(90-J10)) *COS(RADIANS(I10-K10))) *3958
=ACOS( SIN(H10*PI()/180)*SIN(J10*PI()/180) + COS(H10*PI()/180)*COS(J10*PI()/180)*COS(K10*PI()/180-I10*PI()/180) ) * 6371000 * 0.000621371

Or... B) Does anyone have an updated AA route chart, or something scrapable to create one with all the new routes?

Looks like a pretty sophisticated spreadsheet!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by AndyPok1
That looks like a Haversine formula, which is very close but not an exact match for the Earth's actual shape. I don't think you can get much more accurate in an Excel formula.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've updated my page of mile tracking spreadsheets. It now includes the 2016 AA Flight Tracker, courtesy of JDiver. You can download a copy at http://stonecarver.com/flyertalk/spreadsheet.html
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:31 am

Thanks for sharing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.