Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What would you have done? (Cell phones on planes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2002, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass

Yesterday I was flying STL-DFW-SEA on American in First Class. The guy sitting behind me was one of the annoying types who "needed" to use his cell phone every minute it was allowed, and then some.

Before leaving STL, I learned he was mighty upset because his company was being bought out and he would be getting only $300,000 rather than the $3 million another person was. This didn't get him much sympathy from me.. and what little I had disappeared when he kept gabbing even after we pulled away from the gate. He didn't stop until a flight attendant motioned to him to turn the phone off.

So, we land at DFW and have to wait about five minutes for our gate to open up. Seconds later, I hear that familiar tone of a Sprint PCS phone turning on... it was the guy behind me. He proceeds to start calling then and there not stopping until he walks off the plane.

Now, obviously the plane wasn't going to crash because we were already on the ground. But the fact that he felt so important that he couldn't wait five minutes to use his phone got me a bit peeved.

What would you do in that situation?

A) Ignore him
B) Turn around and give him an evil look
C) Turn around and say something
D) Call the Flight Attendant
E) None of the Above.

Just curious.. I'll say what I did after a few responses.

Greg
Old Mar 1, 2002, 11:01 pm

People like that are oblivious to their surroundings and have no manners, so evin if you had given him the evil eye or made a snide comment, chances are it would have gone right past him. "You talkin' to me?"
Old Mar 2, 2002, 12:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I believe that this would be better in Omni rather than Miles Buzz, since, per the Forum's description, this has nothing to do with "Discussion of the latest frequent flyer program buzz... "
Old Mar 2, 2002, 12:25 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:
I believe that this would be better in Omni rather than Miles Buzz, since, per the Forum's description, this has nothing to do with "Discussion of the latest frequent flyer program buzz... "</font>
OMNI is gone... and i'm surprised the moderator hasn't shut down this thread yet...
Old Mar 2, 2002, 12:40 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ender83:
OMNI is gone......</font>
No it's not.
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...OMNI&number=44

It's in the FlyerTalk Travel section now.

Lots of threads about this.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 1:16 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I am thinking of taking my unused free cell phone and talking to it in a loud voice about Miles and FF, when anyone around is being inappropriate with theirs.

What you discribed happened to me last year. Except he was talking, when he arrived to get past me for the window seat without an excuse me! And again as soon as we landed. I told the FA, that I felt I had to have one to talk like everyone else.

The worst place with the most inconsiderate people was by the TV in the Worldclub in DTW while many of us wanted to hear the news after 911. Three men with voices that carried across the room had no problem with drowning out the TV. I got up and walked back to one and said in a loud voice that he was very inconsiderate! A women thanked me on the way back to my table to find a guy RIGHT under the TV talking his head off on his cell. I was ready to go after him. Why don't they use the hall way or a CELL ROOM like the smokers!

The girls at the desk, said they couldn't do anything about it.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 6:34 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Cblaisd is correct, this is an "Omni" subject, not "Buzz". Due to technology limitations, I am unable to move this post to Omni (due to it being on another server/board). Rather than transfer it to "Misplaced Threads" and wait for Randy's staff top move it (which will cause it to be out of circulation for a while), I am going to close it.

I encourage you to repost your question in a brand new Omni thread. Thanks.

------------------
Craig6z
Buzz & United Moderator
[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.