Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

I'm new - need advice on which cards to get!

Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

I found this forum a couple of days a go and been doing a lot of reading. I think I know which cards to get but wanted to posted and ask for more advice.
I currently have an amex cash back card, and my husband has a mastercard that gives nothing (!). He used to have a citiAA card of which I was an authorized user, and he closed it maybe 8 months ago. We don't stay in hotel much, maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and we fly BA once a year (for a route AA is not good at) and Korean Air once a year. We like to do the BA trip in business class and Korean is always on coach. We usually fly Jet Blue domestic maybe 3 times a year, but if we were using miles we'd go with AA. We have recently used all our AA miles and have nothing left. We have some miles on Korean and some on BA, but not enough for awards.
Now, what to get?
I definitely want an Amex card so I thought to apply for the Starwood one. Question is, should my husband just apply (since he currently has no amex) and get me as authorized user, or should we each have our own?
I also need a visa or mastercard. I originally wanted to get one that gives miles on BA, since those business class tickets are $$, but Im not sure about sign up bonuses on this one and the citi AA card 75k bonus seems great. Not sure if we qualify, because my husband had it before, but maybe I will cause I was only an authorized user? And if we both qualify, again, should one of us get it and authorize the other or should we each apply individually?
Or should I be getting any other cards instead of those? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Mini Flies
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Welcome to FT miniflies!

Overall, I'd recommend both you and hubby each getting whatever cards you find beneficial. That way you're both getting the signup bonus miles. My wife and I have really hauled in the miles that way which helps since there are 3 of us. Not to mention applying for the Business versions of the cards, too.

It sounds like the SPG Amex, BA Visa, and Citi AA card would be good fits based on what you've said. Just my opinion, but I would wait for a generous signup bonus before pulling the trigger. I usually won't apply if it's only 25K or 30K.

Citi AA just ended (I think) the 75K signup bonus but it's likely there will be something else coming along soon, if not already. Your husband most likely can't get another personal Citi AA card bonus but you certainly could. However a Business Citi AA card would work even for him.

BA currently has a 50K bonus offer, I believe, not as big as the 100K offer they had a year ago but still nice. We like that the BA card earns 1.25milkes/dollar. We got the SPG (Starwood) Amex last year with their 30K offer, but I think their standard is 25K (part of which requires a minimum spend). Still use the SPG Amex a lot since it's so flexible and has the 5K bonus per 20K miles transferred to airline miles.

I'm not familiar with JetBlue or Korean. But with these or any of the above, just do a few quick searches here in MilesBuzz and the relevant airline/SPG forums for the latest news and offers.

Good luck and happy travels!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
I agree with the previous poster's recommended cards but think one more card is worth consideration. The Amex Platinum has a $450 per year fee but is offering 50000 Amex Membership reward points (that can be transferred to BA with a 40% bonus if it takes place before the end of the month -- though I think you might have to take advantage of the ability to "borrow" the 50K Amex points before they have actually been earned). The Amex Platinum also give you lounge access for the year and $200 back on baggage fees, meals on board fees (airline fees OTHER than the ticket cost) on your registered preferred carrier.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:06 pm
Original Member

I suggest you take an hour or so to study all of the Credit Cards pages of my website below, paying particular attention to the up front bonuses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.