Airmiles and Tax query

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airmiles and Tax query

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Airmiles and Tax query

Does any FF program allow you to use additional miles to pay for the tax, and if not why not? FF tend to have a value, it wouldn't be difficult to work out, and I think it would be quite a coup - Now you REALLY can fly for free!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Does any FF program allow you to use additional miles to pay for the tax, and if not why not? FF tend to have a value, it wouldn't be difficult to work out, and I think it would be quite a coup - Now you REALLY can fly for free!

Where do you live? If you live in the US, the US government accepts money as payment for taxes; they're not into bartering unless you’re settling a court case. In which case, they liquidate what you give them anyway. Other jurisdictions may be different.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
...the US government accepts money as payment for taxes...
They currently accept U.S. dollars. In the future, they might demand only hard currencies.

Last edited by dhuey; Aug 8, 2006 at 1:28 pm
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:29 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Where do you live? If you live in the US, the US government accepts money as payment for taxes; they're not into bartering unless you’re settling a court case. In which case, they liquidate what you give them anyway. Other jurisdictions may be different.
I suspect the government would still get the hard cash: it would simply be a case that the airline would cover these costs.

I believe Flying Dutchman used to do this, years before Northwestification (let alone Airfrancisation).
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by stut
I suspect the government would still get the hard cash: it would simply be a case that the airline would cover these costs.
And anyone who's booked award tickets on multiple airlines knows the airlines choose to cover the costs differently - some cover very little (NW), some cover quite a bit (UA)
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Does any FF program allow you to use additional miles to pay for the tax, and if not why not?
QF is just about to start - thread here.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NZ, to a limited extent. On international Air NZ-only awards airbucks can be used for fare + fuel surcharge but not real taxes (this doesn't apply to the fixed value elite business awards or awards that include partner airlines). On domestic awards airbucks can be used for fare + fuel surcharge + all real taxes and in fact there is no choice to pay taxes by cash/credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.