Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

philanthropy - a strange request

Old Dec 22, 2001, 12:11 am
Original Poster

hello all

a few individuals have emailed me thanking me for posting to this board the details of the valuemags/goldpoints promotion. a few have even graciously offered to send me magazine subscriptions as thanks. unfortunately, as i live in canada, i could not even send the magazines i wanted to myself. instead, i gave all away to children's hospitals.

first and foremost, i would like to thank all of those individuals who sent me emails.

though i hate to sound like a beggar and i certainly would not refuse any gifts of thanks, i would like to humbly put forth a suggestion which i have thought of that will allow anyone who wished to thank me with a gift to do so in a way that costs them nothing.

if you would like to be a charitible person and help a student who is travelling from toronto to study in sydney australia for the next four years, i invite you to read on

essentially, i am asking that those individuals who might be spending money at some of the following establishments to purchase a gift certificate valid at that establishment through hallmark.com using the goldpoints gateway on my userid/password.

DINING:
Red Lobster
Chili's
Denver Buffalo Company
Buca di Beppo
The Olive Garden
(and others - for complete list, see link below)

SHOPPING:
Amazon
Eddie Bauer
JCPenney
T.J.Maxx
Target Stores
Foot Locker
Borders Books and Music
CDNOW
(and others - for complete list see link below)

TRAVEL
Carlson Wagonlit Travel
Marshall Field's Travel Service
Celebrity Cruises
Renaissance Hotels & Resorts
Courtyard by Marriott
Residence Inn by Marriott
Fairfield Inn by Marriott
Royal Caribbean International
Hertz
Spa-Finders Vacations
Marriott Hotels, Resorts & Suites SpringHill Suites
Marriott Vacation Club
TownePlace Suites

what would happen is that i'd give you my userid/password for goldpoints, you'd log in at goldpoints and click on the hallmark.com link, buy the GCs with your own credit card (i.e., i never see your credit card) and i'd earn the points. (i've checked - the billing address does not need to match the name on the goldpoints account.) this would be money you'd be otherwise spending, but at the same time, you'd be helping me get my family to come to my graduation. (i've already had the pleasure of dipping into my line of credit for the valuemags promo - it was cheaper than buying a coach fare ticket.) you'd also be getting extra points with santa

if you'd like to help, please email me at [email protected]

many kind regards
firefly

------
full list:
Gift Wish Certificates
Our Most Popular Merchants
Just look who they can choose from!

Specialty Stores
Bath & Body Works
Hammacher Schlemmer
Canon Cameras Catalog
K*B Toys
Cooking.com
KB Gear Interactive
Glamour Shots
The Sharper Image
Hallmark Gold Crown Stores
Spiegel Catalog - Electronics

Department Stores
Bloomingdale's
Mervyn's California
Bon Marche
Parisian
Gordmans
Saks Fifth Avenue
JCPenney
Service Merchandise
Macy's
T.J.Maxx
Marshall Field's
Target Stores
Marshalls
Younkers

For The Home
Bloomingdale's
800.com Electronics
Bon Marche
Saks Fifth Avenue
Bosch Power Tools Catalog
Service Merchandise
Eddie Bauer Home
Skil Power Tools Catalog
Gordmans
Spiegel Catalog - Home
The Home Depot
T.J.Maxx
Parisian
Target Stores
JCPenney
White Barn Candle Company
Macy's
Wild Wings
Marshall Field's
Wooden Bird
Marshalls
Younkers
Mervyn's California

Family / Casual Dining
Buca di Beppo
Macaroni Grill
Champps Americana
The Olive Garden
Chili's
Omaha Steaks Catalog
Denver Buffalo Company
Red Lobster
Fiorella's Jack Stack World Class
Steak & Ale
Harry and David
TimberLodge Steakhouse

Sporting Goods
Cabela's
Herrington Catalog
Foot Locker
Kids Foot Locker
Galyan's
Lady Foot Locker
Golfsmith Golf Centers
Outdoor World Incentives/Bass Pro Shops Catalog
Harvey Penick Golf Academy
The Sports Authority

Apparel / Accessories
Bloomingdale's
The Limited
Bon Marche
Macy's
Bostonian Shoe Stores
Marshall Field's
Brooks Brothers
Marshalls
Buckle
Mervyn's California
Eddie Bauer
Parisian
Gordmans
Saks Fifth Avenue
Hanover Shoe Stores
Service Merchandise
JCPenney
Sheplers Westernwear
Jos. A. Bank Clothiers
Spiegel Catalog - Fashion
Lands End
T.J.Maxx
Target Stores
Younkers

Travel
Carlson Wagonlit Travel
Marshall Field's Travel Service
Celebrity Cruises
Renaissance Hotels & Resorts
Courtyard by Marriott
Residence Inn by Marriott
Fairfield Inn by Marriott
Royal Caribbean International
Hertz
Spa-Finders Vacations
Marriott Hotels, Resorts & Suites SpringHill Suites
Marriott Vacation Club
TownePlace Suites

Videos / Music / Books
Amazon
Media Play
Borders Books and Music
On Cue
Brentano's
Sam Goody/Musicland
CDNOW
Suncoast Motion Picture Company
Waldenbooks
Old Dec 22, 2001, 1:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fireflyreaction:
hello all

essentially, i am asking that those individuals who might be spending money at some of the following establishments to purchase a gift certificate valid at that establishment through hallmark.com using the goldpoints gateway on my userid/password.
</font>
Sounds like a gamble.

Gold Points Terms and Conditions:

[...]

10. Licensor reserves the right to discontinue membership privileges and void or cancel a member's entire point balance if any points in the member's account are issued, received or redeemed through fraud or theft or otherwise illegally or not as authorized in these Terms and Conditions or in other current Gold Points Rewards Program rules. These rights are in addition to any other legal or equitable remedy which may be available to the Licensor under applicable law.
Old Dec 22, 2001, 6:02 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Should this post be here? or in SPAM?

Thought we did not allow solicitation?

William

Old Dec 22, 2001, 6:34 am

Dear Firefly:

Your helpful post is to be applauded. As a new member of Flyertalk you have already contributed in a significant manner. Thank you.

Please do not cheapen your contribution by expecting something in return. You underestimate the generosity of many of the members of this board who will often reward a valuable contribution such as yours. The spontaniety of such a thank you is taken away when someone expects something for their good deed.

I hope you will benefit in the future from the input of others on this board, just as many here have benefited from your exceptional post. I hope you will remain an ongoing contributor to this great board as you spend the next few years away at school.
I wish you the very best.

Flytoeat
Old Dec 22, 2001, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
flytoeat: Bravo.
Old Dec 22, 2001, 7:19 am

Hello Firefly:
Here on FT its not so much quid pro quo, more like an esprit de corps.

Thanks for your valueable contribution and good luck at school. If you decide to stick around, I hope you will, you will find FT members are indeed a generous bunch as Flytoeat has suggested in his own generous post

Happy Holidays and thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Mvic (edited 12-22-2001).]
Old Dec 22, 2001, 7:32 am
Original Poster

hello all

allow me to share an experience from my last convocation.

an individual is receiving an honorary doctor of laws from a university.

he stands up and begins his speech by saying he must remain neutral as to the receiving of this degree. should he take the usual route of humbleness and proclaim his obvious unworthyness then he would be, in effect, insulting the individuals of the honorary degree selection committee and the president and chancellor of the university for not having the proper sense to bestow the degree on him. by proclaiming his humbleness, he'd be questioning the reputation of the university and the education of its learned members.

but, he also cannot proclaim his worthiness, for to do so would be outright boasting, certainly not an acceptable english custom. it is never polite to be a braggart.

so, he must remain neutral. however, what he may do is express his gratitude to the university, his surprise and his feelings of happiness.

i hoped simply to achieve the latter. express gratitude to the individuals thanking me, express my surprise and the obvious happiness that came from reading such lovely emails.

i was/am very hesitant about this post and i am willing to delete my original message. i do not expect a return on my contributions. i'd simply like to follow the same spirit as was shared with me a few months ago during my convocation

many kind regards and thanks for your well wishes. i am continually amazed by the individuals on this board. i have never seen such a fine group of individuals in my seven years of interneting

yours,
firefly

(edited 3 minutes after post for spelling mistakes and to add material i neglected to mention)

[This message has been edited by fireflyreaction (edited 12-22-2001).]
Old Dec 22, 2001, 8:50 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
While this type of posting is not specifically addressed in the FlyerTalk TOS, this passage might apply:

Commercial Messages

Posts containing promotional messages for commercial or charitable products or services -- included but not limited to Internet sites, business advertisements and solicitations to donate miles or points -- will be removed. Unfortunately, it is impossible to verify the validity of each charitable organization, therefore, in an effort to protect FlyerTalk users from fraud, we must prohibit solicitations for charities. We do reserve the privilege to post announcements for donations of miles or points for recognized charities directly associated with various frequent flyer/guest programs.

Regardless of whether this fits the situation exactly, I am closing the thread as it runs counter to "Community Standards".

------------------
Craig6z
Buzz & United Moderator
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Moderator2 (edited 12-22-2001).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.