Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

How much bottled wine will US Customs allow in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2001, 7:51 pm
Joh
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honours Gold, KLM Gold

Would like to take a friend in Miami a dozen bottles of fine Australian white wine as gift next wek. Plan to leave it in the winery box with bubble wrap around each bottle. I hope that UA will accept it as checked baggage like that, if we accept the standard "Fragile" disclaimer etc?

I do not have a US Customs form with me, but recall there is a fixed printed limit on how much wine is allowed. Does anyone know for sure what that is? Two passengers travelling together, so 12 x 750mm = 9 litres total, so that would be 4.5 litres each. Hopefully in the Festive spirit mood, they may not get too bothered by this - or maybe they are strict? Appreciate any input.
Old Dec 8, 2001, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Here's the U.S. Customs link covering what can be brought in, and some discussion of alcohol and gifts. It doesn't really seem to answer your questions, though, and even left me more confused when they mentioned state regulations, if stricter, could override federal regulations.

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/travel.htm
Old Dec 8, 2001, 8:35 pm
Joh
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honours Gold, KLM Gold
Yikes! Thanks Tom - you are right it really doesn't address the legal limit on wine possible to accompany you. We are entering USA via CA if that helps narrow it down. I recall there is that standard white customs form with a dozen or so boxes to check, and from memory ONE of those refers to something like "do you have with you more than xxxxx litres of wine".

Old Dec 8, 2001, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
As far as I know, there is no federal limit on the amount of wine/spirits that you bring into the US. There is a limit to what may be brought in duty-free. Above that amount, you may be charged duty.

If my memory serves me well, the duty is not very high. Additionally it's been my experience that US Customs waives the duty in most cases as the paperwork costs them more than what they would collect in duty. Note that I haven't done this in several years.

My advice: just declare the stuff and pay the duty, if needed.

[This message has been edited by BillMorrow (edited 12-08-2001).]
Old Dec 8, 2001, 9:52 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
When I came back from Australia in November, I declared 4 bottles and the Customs agent waived me through. I asked what the import duty would have been if he hadn't, and I think the answer was $1/bottle. Wish I'd brought more.
Old Dec 8, 2001, 10:32 pm

I have brought back 12 bottles with no problems. Even declared them on the form.
Old Dec 8, 2001, 11:13 pm

Location: you can't affordably get there (anywhere) from here (central MT)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BillMorrow:
just declare the stuff and pay the duty
</font>
the truth always works . . . and yes, all the other advice re: the limit being only an issue relative to "duty free" is accurate
Old Dec 8, 2001, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience with signs is that they say you're only allowed to bring in one or two liters of alcohol...

d
Old Dec 8, 2001, 11:51 pm

How are you guys getting this stuff back? I'm flying LGW-IAH-MSY in a week and I have 6 bottles to bring back. If I can't find a creative way to check them, I'm going to have to carry them on which would prevent me from taking anything else onto the plane becuase of LGW's strict 1 carry-on policy. Checking them would be fantastic.
Old Dec 9, 2001, 12:27 am

Location: you can't affordably get there (anywhere) from here (central MT)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jon Gegenheimer:
How are you guys getting this stuff back? </font>
checked luggage; hardsided cases. not a problem in my experience
Old Dec 9, 2001, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Joh:
Yikes! Thanks Tom - you are right it really doesn't address the legal limit on wine possible to accompany you. We are entering USA via CA if that helps narrow it down.</font>
Joh,
I think the link does address the federal limit pretty clearly - it's one liter. If you bring in more than that then they can require you to pay duty.
See:
http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/tobacco.htm

"One liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your exemption if
You are 21 years old.
It is for your own use or as a gift.
It does not violate the laws of the state in which you arrive.
Federal regulations allow you to bring back more than one liter of alcoholic beverage for personal use, but, as with extra tobacco, you will have to pay duty and Internal Revenue Service tax."
And:
"For example, if your exemption is $400 and you bring back three liters of wine and nothing else, two of those liters will be dutiable."

The amount you can bring in subject to duty is limited by how much the state you are entering will allow. Here is a link to California's import limitations:
http://www.abc.ca.gov/PERMITS/PM_IMPORTING.SSI

Here's a link that tells you how to compute the duty:
http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/know.htm#Paying Duty

jerry
Edited to fix link.

[This message has been edited by jerry a. laska (edited 12-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by jerry a. laska (edited 12-11-2001).]
Old Dec 9, 2001, 7:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS1K:
I have brought back 12 bottles with no problems. Even declared them on the form.</font>
Legally, they can ask for duty. As a practical matter, I routinely declare the wine and have never been slowed down even for as much as a case.

A good wine shop should be able to sell you a sytrofoam wine mailer. They come in 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, and 18 bottle sizes. Tape it up well and check it as baggage. Again, I've never had a problem.

------------------
Old Dec 9, 2001, 8:00 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
While you'll probably be just fine, there are also some really crazy interstate laws when it comes to transporting wine. Florida actually considers it a felony to ship wine from another state directly to a consumer - even if it's a gift from a friend. You can ship from abroad if you obtain some special permits.

Carrying it into Florida, they allow you to bring in one gallon of wine/alcohol tax-free. You must be able to prove you purchased it outside the state. But I really can't imagine you being checked on an interstate trip.
Old Dec 9, 2001, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife and I frequently bring 12-18 bottles of wine from europe to IAD.

Declare it. Tax is $3.85 a dozen. I have never been charged. I frequently bring in commercial goods at the same time, and pay duty on the goods, but the wine has never been charged. I have had the duty on the wine calculated frequently, and it never comes out the same, or very much. A person tries to convert alchol percent to liters to gallons, etc.

For easy packing: Take an extra old hardsided piece of luggage. take sets of burgandy/champagne paper mache inserts, for both inside and outside each row of wine. Pack towels around the top and bottom, maybe a bit of bubble wrap on the outside. Get a good strap, and throw a tape wrap around the luggage. Make certain it has a good handle. 18 bottles weigh a lot.

I do not know anything about state regulations.
Old Dec 9, 2001, 8:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
I have always declared the excess wine and the only comment that I have received from customs besides a wave through is "enjoy."
Recently took some fine Sonoma California wine to UK for a gift and since I was over the UK limit declared it and was also waved through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.