Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Way to pass the time at the Syracuse Airport

Old Jan 15, 1999, 8:58 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Lets see -- I have been in the Syracuse airport since 5:15 this morning (it is now 10:30 and I wont be leaving until at least 1 today). Since I have been on 3 airlines so far today, I had some time to think:

1. There must be an easier way to have your luggage switched from one airline to another when you are bumped. I started the day on American (6:00 am) and their flight to JFK was cancelled. I had to go back to the ticket counter to get my ticket switched to Delta. I had to retrieve my bags and recheck in with Delta.

Since US Airways has a Club in Syracuse (and being a member, I decided to use the club), I re-checked by bags in with Delta for their 10:15 flight to LGA. Waited on line for 45 minutes but did not have to lug my bags along.
Q: Why cant airlines better coordinate the luggage efforts if you get switched from one airline to another? It would have been great if American could have switched my bags to Delta and I would not have to wait on line again. I know if I fly one airline and switch to another, my bags can be routed to the other airline.

2. Asked, and received, a food voucher for breakfast from American. Got breakfast and headed for the US Airways club (in the other terminal -- connnected but about a 10 minute walk). Get to the club to be informed that I have to finish breakfast BEFORE I enter the club.
Q: We should be able to bring into a club whatever we want. For $250+ a year (depending on the club and FF status), its the least the can do (eps. considering the breakfast I had was better than what they offered).

3. US Airways cancelled its 10:10 am and 12:35 flight -- I am on a 1:35 flight. American has a 1:00 flight they booked me on when the 6am was cancelled. It does not seem worth it to have to go back to US Airways to have my luggage swicthed again. And who knows, AA may cancel the 1pm anyway.

The folks at the US AIrways club have been great -- esp. considering I was not flying on US Airways when I first entered. There are certainly advantages to having the clu membership -- I will never go without one again.

So much for trying to get my re-qual for American Platium early. I lost 2500+ requalifying miles over the past week due to re-routing. And I dont think AA will grant the miles to me. Oh well.

Thanks for letting me vent!

--Jim
Old Jan 15, 1999, 11:49 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

AA should grant you the miles. Just ask.
Old Jan 15, 1999, 1:21 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I've been told by Delta CRC personnel that it is common practice for Airline Clubs not to be allowed in their leases to let people in with food. This is mostly to protect the vendors in the airport from what I understand.
Old Jan 15, 1999, 3:39 pm
Commander Catcop

Jim: first, I hope you got to where you eneded to go as less frazzled as possible.

Go after AA for the miles. For all the inconvenience that they put you through, you should get some mileage restitution.

I have never been to Syracuse (I did not even though they had a decent sized airport.) But thanks for the travel report.

Somewhat off topic: It seems that more people are flying to upstate New York State. They just redid the Albany airport. It looks better than soem of the majors (esp: Kennedy and LaGuardia which are like some third world airports!) CATMAN
Old Jan 17, 1999, 2:56 am
Original Member

Jim what a nightmare! I am glad you are getting through it---like you have a choice I suppose! I would be interested to hear out it all turns out.
Old Jan 18, 1999, 11:42 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I finally made it home after spending 10 hours in the Syracuse Airport. Thank goodness for the Club -- otherwise I would have lost my mind! (Some would say I have already, but thats another story)

--Jim
Old Jan 20, 1999, 7:49 pm
Original Member

AA involuntarily rerouted me last spring for a PHL-ORD-SFO trip. Bad weather had shut down ORD and cancelled flights from ORD to PHL all day. I was booked on the last westbound AA flight of the day out of PHL, but it was cancelled since they had no plane to send. They placed me on CO (PHL-LAS-SFO). I received the AAdvantage miles for my original itinerary when I wrote to AA, which qualified me for Gold at the time, even though weather was the underlying cause of my cancelled flight. I also received the CO OnePass miles. So save your AA receipt that says "involuntary re-route" and send a copy to AA with your letter. You don't need to mention the cause of your re-routing, just that it was involuntary. You definitely deserve those miles!!
Old Jan 21, 1999, 12:56 pm
Commander Catcop

I'm glad you are home safe and sound JIMBOLIGUY. Being stranded at an airport
would be less of a pain if it was in an interesting city (like Paris or Las Vegas or
Newark!) You've also convinced me of the benefits of club membership.

Ferry: You gave me a good way to address my letter to U-A for my mileage credit from "teh storm of the century" from earlier this month. Less is best, and probably I don't have to mention the weather problem. (If I get miles for both U-A and A-A then I will be a happy CATMAN!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.