50 cent US Air flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50 cent US Air flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2006, 9:21 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I didn't win the lottery this week, along with millions of others here in Florida. Oh boy, I think we should all sue to!!!

Just my sarcastic observation!!

JudyJFLA
Old Feb 2, 2006, 9:50 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
I didn't win the lottery this week, along with millions of others here in Florida. Oh boy, I think we should all sue to!!!

JudyJFLA
Well, shame on you for not winning. Eight years ago, my brother-in-law won it, threw everything else over, and has been devoting himself to surfing since then. If you weren't smart enough to pick the right numbers, like my b-i-l did, then that's your problem. (I confess that I am chagrined because I have never won the lottery, but then I never buy tickets because I am too much a prisoner of logic and probability theory.)
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
While I doubt a class action suit would be worth anyone's while, there are laws that govern how sweepstakes must be conducted. I have no idea whether an infrastructure problem at the time a contest is supposed to happen would violate them, but I do think that people who offer online contests should be required to mix in a little load testing. I mean geez, I doubt there are MILLIONS of us with new Juniper US Airways cards.

And in general, I think the whole "click here at exactly X time" is a dumb contest to begin with. Especially this one - where apparently there's some validation with a database server that I'm even eligible to win. Seems like a performance nightmare from the start.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by pinniped
While I doubt a class action suit would be worth anyone's while, there are laws that govern how sweepstakes must be conducted. I have no idea whether an infrastructure problem at the time a contest is supposed to happen would violate them, but I do think that people who offer online contests should be required to mix in a little load testing. I mean geez, I doubt there are MILLIONS of us with new Juniper US Airways cards.

And in general, I think the whole "click here at exactly X time" is a dumb contest to begin with. Especially this one - where apparently there's some validation with a database server that I'm even eligible to win. Seems like a performance nightmare from the start.
What distinguishes this "contest" from those that are or were so common on the radio which require that you be the xth caller to ring the station, except that this "50 cent ticket" contest is being conducted by high(er) tech means than those familiar radio ones? Not likely that they won't give away the tickets or that it is somehow rigged so as to favor/disfavor anybody in particular, and thus unlikely that there would be any consequences other than people annoyed with screw up. (The joke, of course, is that one could end up "losing" by "winning," depending on taxes, cost to hie onself to the departure city, ground costs, etc. But then I stand ready here with my $1 offer to spare those who might get such a ticket the burdens thereof.)
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:09 pm

I waited until the countdown showed 00:00:00:00

I see:

"It's not over yet! We are currently verifying requests. Please keep clicking the 'Get Tickets' button as tickets may be re-released."

It is 4:05 now and this debilitating thing is making me feel pretty stupid.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:17 pm

they must be out of tix...

Last edited by rgm18; Feb 3, 2006 at 8:44 pm
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:24 pm

Are you serious? I tried for the Florida ticket again today and even though I didn't get any errors, I didn't win. I thought this was a first come first serve sort of a thing. I don't know why when I click the 'GET TICKETS' button as soon as it's enabled, it still says 'We are currently verifying requests...' and then starts the countdown again so one can 'TRY AGAIN'. What INFO did this person who you got the tickets for have to provide you with?

Originally Posted by rgm18
i just kept refreshing and i got it. then i redid it again and got it again but cousdlnt take advantage so i made a post in this forum and someone pm'd me his info and i got it for him. it was comin up quite a lot in between the first time and now but i cant get it to work anymore...they must be out of tix...
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:27 pm

Yes, I did. Not in order to sue. But just coz I was up at 7 am HST trying my luck. So the screenshots will remind me how not to fall for gimmicks like this in the future.

Originally Posted by johnep1
Are you serious?
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:30 pm

At least you didn't have to sign up for a credit card in order to play the lottery and you weren't assured that this is a first come first serve sort of a deal. So you shouldn't feel too bad. But yeah, I do hope you win some day and buy us all tickets.

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA

JudyJFLA
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:33 pm

HST is 5 hours behind EST so you do the math and have fun
Originally Posted by cur
Yeah, a class action lawsuit for not giving us the ultra cheap seats , And what time is it Hawaii time at 0000EST?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by Spiff
What a lame-... error message.

Lazy programmers!
Apparently, programmers always have the same response when this happens:

"Overload? Sh*t, we never thought of that."

Since I know that this is the result 100.000000 % of the time, I never bother anymore.

I think the correct term is stupid programmers.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:34 pm

If you're one of the lucky people, you have to provide some identifying information to prove you're a Juniper cardholder. If you don't within their time limit, the ticket is released back for someone else.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:55 pm

My Friend Got One To Paris And Cant Go

friend got a tik to paris, cant go, please PM me with some offers for trade if you are interested in taking it...

r
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:28 pm

I'll give you $1
Originally Posted by rgm18
friend got a tik to paris, cant go, please PM me with some offers for trade if you are interested in taking it...

r
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:02 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
As far as actually having to deliver the prize goes, isn't there a law says that a prize available in a sweepstakes must be awarded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.