Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Something has changed related to loading reloadable cards at WM **for me**

Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte

Not sure what is going on, but a reliable loadable card has been declined (trying to load using MCGC from GCCom) yesterday and today at walmart with the little short slip that says 'debit not approved call authorizer'. Everything worked normally changing the tender with the MCGC and i tried twice at register and once at the customer service desk. When I looked at the card balance after returning home on GCCom, it showed that the 500 was subtracted and then 500 added back three times and I still have a 500 balance. I haven't tried my other loadable cards yet because I have exceeded their limits for the month.

Could anyone who uses this particular method comment on this and indicate whether it has happened with you or comment on what this might mean?

*Relevant factor: when i went to the customer service desk, i began by asking if something had changed with reloadable cards and they said "not that we know of", but we do have a new money order and bill pay policy. I asked what hat was and was told the same information that has been going around related to MO and BP limits and reporting.

Edit: I went to another small time location (after checking the balance on the card) that I know I can buy a $500 money order for .75c and the card that was declined 3X at WM worked perfectly fine, so it's not a problem with the MCGC per se.

Edit 2: I'm not going to call the reloadable card company until I drain the account -- so won't be able to call until Monday.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Oct 19, 2018 at 5:16 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:20 pm

BAU for me.

loaded 2 cards today.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:59 pm

No problems loading three different brands of reloadable debit cards at WM in my area. 2x500 swipes on each.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Well, i'm at a loss to explain what is happening....time will tell i guess.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Oct 20, 2018 at 8:07 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:49 pm

I usually get that "small slip" warning when I try reloading too early (before full 30-day period).
Loaded 3X$500 yesterday w/o problems.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:18 pm

Same issue as you. Tried two different WMs, two different cards. Load, then instant reversal. And that little slip of paper. VGC (in my case) has funds depleted, then returned.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAtrotter
Same issue as you. Tried two different WMs, two different cards. Load, then instant reversal. And that little slip of paper. VGC (in my case) has funds depleted, then returned.
I was kinda hoping it might just be related to MCGC, but since you say it also happened with VGC for you, it worries me.

LAtrotter, do your VGCs have your name on them? My MCGCs did have my name.

I'm gonna make a WM run tomorrow and try a few different stores (in two states) to see if they all produce the same result. Will provide DPs.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
IDK if this is anything that is helpful or not: I loaded an old oneVip just now at WM, doing split-tender MCGC from staples. Caveat: I almost never use MCGCs and haven't in several months.

After swiping my first card, I'm not sure if I missed pressing "cancel" or I hit it and it simply did nothing... but the MCGC auto-drained without me entering a PIN and then receipt printer printed something like "your purchase was limited by your bank." The transaction did *not* stop, so I did the same thing a second time. Again, tried pressing cancel, never entered PIN, and transaction was finished.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by perkunas
IDK if this is anything that is helpful or not: I loaded an old oneVip just now at WM, doing split-tender MCGC from staples. Caveat: I almost never use MCGCs and haven't in several months.

After swiping my first card, I'm not sure if I missed pressing "cancel" or I hit it and it simply did nothing... but the MCGC auto-drained without me entering a PIN and then receipt printer printed something like "your purchase was limited by your bank." The transaction did *not* stop, so I did the same thing a second time. Again, tried pressing cancel, never entered PIN, and transaction was finished.
Had this happen at walmart with a Bancorp mcgc from Sam's... I know they don't work, I was trying to be the DP. My serve was loaded with the funds and then funds were immediately refunded back to my GC.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:33 pm

BAU an hour ago. I'd try loading the same amount of $ to the same card with cash or your bank DC just to see if that's the problem
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:47 am

can we clarify the source of your MCGCs/VGCs? so confusing what the real issue is.

I usually only sticking with Kelvar type of VGC by meta, 500 variable. Are they having the same issue? I only do 1 swipe, don't split.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I tried to load meta MCGC again yesterday at WM in two states with the same negative result. I have to wait until the first of the month to know for sure whether what I am thinking is correct - will wait until then to explain.

Clarification: I believe it solely has to do with the product i'm trying to load not the MCGC I'm trying to load with. I believe some changes have occurred to certain loadable products with the recent WM update but still need to do some tests to understand how far-reaching they are for me. Come the first of the month, i'll be able to conduct those tests.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Oct 22, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I tried to load meta MCGC again yesterday at WM in two states with the same negative result. I have to wait until the first of the month to know for sure whether what I am thinking is correct - will wait until then to explain.

Clarification: I believe it solely has to do with the product i'm trying to load not the MCGC I'm trying to load with. I believe some changes have occurred to certain loadable products with the recent WM update but still need to do some tests to understand how far-reaching they are for me. Come the first of the month, i'll be able to conduct those tests.
Same thing happened to me at DG while loading serve with OVVGC. Previously it has happened at WM MC with gcc mccc, and then the next day worked (I was under $2500 daily limit.) Seems the new modus operandi is to not shut people down..making loads unreliable will filter out those who don't really need serve
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I was kinda hoping it might just be related to MCGC, but since you say it also happened with VGC for you, it worries me.

LAtrotter, do your VGCs have your name on them? My MCGCs did have my name.

I'm gonna make a WM run tomorrow and try a few different stores (in two states) to see if they all produce the same result. Will provide DPs.
They did not, no.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:09 pm

i experienced this a while back. turns out the 30 day load limit was different from what literature said. i also had it happen late in the day - no explanation really. if you were able to buy a MO, i think it's gotta be on the loadable card side, and my guess would be you hit a load limit, no matter what the literature says.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.