Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will you be traveling MORE OR LESS in the next 12 months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2001, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,

In light of the decresed passenger loads, are your plans for travel using airlines and hotels, the SAME as they were a year ago, or MORE or LESS? Are you holding back on your expenses for travel at all?

I traveled more this past 6 months, then a year ago. I am planning on being Platinum before year end, as well. Interesting my Credit card charges for airline tickets and hotels are much less this year, when compared to a year ago. Don't know if that is from being more efficient or savy.

No doubt, we can add more light on the subject, then what we read in the news!!

------------------
Don't let what you are being get in the way of what you might become.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 1:21 pm

as CO gold this year, I had resigned myself to "barely silver" status for next year. However, my Plat. boyfriend has convinced me into maintaining my gold status for next year... now thanks to those "Southwest matching" fares. My business travel is nonexistent now, but thanks to creative routing, my leisure travel goes above and beyond in making up for that loss.

Old Jun 29, 2001, 3:41 pm

Since I'm blessed to be running a business that's growing in a down economy, my travel pace is running ahead of last year's. I'm on target to renew my Executive Platinum membership with American Airlines.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 3:54 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
If the values keep on the way they have been, I'm sure that we will at least maintain what has been an excellent four-year run of seeing new places and having wonderful experiences. A softer market for some travel has led to discounts in important travel expense components. Being able to take advantage of generous promotions and an excellent exchange rate for U.S. dollars against foreign currencies have also contributed to a very good situation. We want to continue to enjoy these good times while they are here, since there are few guarantees in life. )
Old Jun 29, 2001, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much less.

MisterNice
Old Jun 29, 2001, 5:25 pm

Much more...I do not see myself having to do any mileage runs this year. I am in the wireless Internet industry and it seems like everyone is looking for this product now...this will keep me in in the air and eating hotel food for awhile.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 6:28 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Less, although I've always been efficient, I will probably lose my US Chairman's Preferred status this year, this even after two segment runs and a personal trip on US to Europe so far. This hurts since I've been CP since inception. I will probably maintain DL PM, but I've already done 3 DL segment runs for 12 segments and may have to do more using Delta dollars. I will probably stay platinum on AA. The economy and job changes are somewhat responsible, but I am taking a lot of vacation this year and those darn ff tickets interfere with my flights for credit!!
Old Jun 29, 2001, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Less for business, as we're trying to save money. I probably would have been to California 2-3 times instead of once this year if the economy were more robust in our sector.

Overall, though, I'll fly the same since I'll do more personal flying (like to the FT get-together in San Diego, 2588 miles each way) including a long mileage run near year-end to keep my AA status. Low fares make this not only practical, but cost-effective!
Old Jun 29, 2001, 9:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
I've flown much more in 2001 so far than all of 2000, discounting those zany UA mileage runs to DUS. I'm Gold on NW, 1P on UA, will certainly lose 1P status on UA as I've only flown about 5,000 miles with them this year, but will certainly hit 50K on NW by the end of summer. going for Platinum isn't out of the question
Old Jun 29, 2001, 10:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
It seemsthat the planes,etc. are more full than they ever were--at the flights that I am on. I travel mostly for leisure/holiday & I will try to keep status on US Airways. Will try to go for gold & a couple of European trips from the west coast will give me lots of miles. I been getting some bumps from US & UA so my personal expeditures have been very low! Thank you flyertalk posters for helping me max my miles & minimize my costs! To answer the question posted, I will travel more now than last year.
Old Jun 30, 2001, 2:05 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 15, 2007 at 10:12 pm
Old Jun 30, 2001, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I think it is much worse then prison!
Old Jun 30, 2001, 6:44 am

the coach is worse than prison point is intersting.....

Presumably next year given the general trend of less business flying we're going to see less Elites (although I suspect the airlines will let people maintain elite status abit more easily if this starts to happen too much)

Anyway, less elites means less people being automatically upgradeable.

For us 2Ps and Silvers this may be a good thing.

The main point is that for the ex-Golds and Plats it will be hell and I suspect we will see a lot more 'Don't you know who I am'-itus at the gate next year - should be fun viewing.

(all tongue in cheek - no flames please I'm british. I'm sure we don't have a single 'Don't you know who I am on this board!!!)
Old Jun 30, 2001, 6:47 am

Less. There's a recession going on right now, and I'm sure the economists will loudly announce this in a few more months, after they've figured it out.
Old Jun 30, 2001, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Life Plat, Marriott Life Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, Hilton/Hyatt Diamond, Radisson Gold
I certainly hope I will be traveling more than I have lately. Last year, I traveled about 50K business miles, and then did another 50K on mileage runs to qualify for Executive Platinum on American. It looked as though I was going to be traveling extensively this year, and so I was looking forward to the benefits of EP status. But my business bookings dried up with the recession, and I haven't even stepped on a plane since the end of March. Less than 9,000 miles so far this year! And since I'm self-employed, I haven't done any mileage runs because I'm trying to conserve cash. So I haven't even had a chance to use any of my VIP2s or VIPOWs! (Yes, I was one of the few to get the last of the VIP2s.)

I'm hoping that business picks up this fall, especially with the introduction of a new class sequence I've developed (I'm a technical trainer). If so, I might try to do a RTW in business or first to requalify for EP status based on points.

So, if anyone need some training in XML or Tcl, give me a call!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.