Go Back   > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 8, 05, 9:30 pm   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Concierge Key, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,367
Thumbs up Parents of Univ. of GA Graduates - Earn 9,999 Miles Free

Hello All,

This is something I have reserarched and am under the impression will work, however it is not guarenteed. I hope it will work and seems fairly simple.

The University of Georgia Bulldog Bucks Card allows students, faculty, and staff to load money on their student ID card to buy things like printing, sodas, and food at the student union. You can use the bulldog bucks website to load money using a Visa, Mastercard, or Discover Card. There is no fee to load money on the card.

When a student graduates, they can fill out a form at the Bulldog Bucks Office to receive a check with whatever amount is in their account, with a $10 minimum to receive a check. The lady at the Bulldog Bucks office told me it takes about a week to get a check out. And checks cannot be issued until after the graduation date. You can then use this check to pay your credit card bill.

I have just done this process and found that the maximum the website is willing to let you put on your account is $9,999. So it is 9,999 miles for no fee. It would be nice if loading money on Bulldog Bucks qualified for any of the double miles promotions. I tested this with the United MileagePlus VISA and it ran through as a transaction, not a cash advance.

I know there is only a small target audience who can benefit, however I hope the same process may be able to be done at other colleges/universities in which FTers have upcoming graduates in.

Kind regards,

Beofotch
beofotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 05, 9:53 pm   #2
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge
  
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Posts: 15,464
A simpler way to earn a good 10k (perhaps not for the parent, but for the graduating) is to enroll in UA's College Plus program for a nice 10k upon verification of graduation (I believe it works for both undergrad and grad programs).
slippahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 05, 9:58 pm   #3
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Concierge Key, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippahs
A simpler way to earn a good 10k (perhaps not for the parent, but for the graduating) is to enroll in UA's College Plus program for a nice 10k upon verification of graduation (I believe it works for both undergrad and grad programs).
Slippahs,

Great point. Buy why not do both? I did...

Kind regards,

Beofotch
beofotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 05, 10:13 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 35,377
Are classified ads allowed on FT?

WANTED FOR ADOPTION -- U of Ga. graduating senior. Contact dhuey at www.flyertalk.com
dhuey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 05, 11:27 pm   #5
  
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by beofotch
Hello All,

This is something I have reserarched and am under the impression will work, however it is not guarenteed. I hope it will work and seems fairly simple.

The University of Georgia Bulldog Bucks Card allows students, faculty, and staff to load money on their student ID card to buy things like printing, sodas, and food at the student union. You can use the bulldog bucks website to load money using a Visa, Mastercard, or Discover Card. There is no fee to load money on the card.

When a student graduates, they can fill out a form at the Bulldog Bucks Office to receive a check with whatever amount is in their account, with a $10 minimum to receive a check. The lady at the Bulldog Bucks office told me it takes about a week to get a check out. And checks cannot be issued until after the graduation date. You can then use this check to pay your credit card bill.

I have just done this process and found that the maximum the website is willing to let you put on your account is $9,999. So it is 9,999 miles for no fee. It would be nice if loading money on Bulldog Bucks qualified for any of the double miles promotions. I tested this with the United MileagePlus VISA and it ran through as a transaction, not a cash advance.

I know there is only a small target audience who can benefit, however I hope the same process may be able to be done at other colleges/universities in which FTers have upcoming graduates in.

Kind regards,

Beofotch
Yeah, but you'd have to send your son/daughter to U(sic)GA to cash in on this. Is a guilty conscience worth 9,999 miles?


-Jeff

/THWG
elektronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 05, 12:09 am   #6
  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home
Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Posts: 7,521
Dam*! I graduated from UGA dozen years too early! I wish all the XXX Bucks were much popular back then. I would have taken the full advantage of it.
Well, maybe not. Reason #1: FT didn't exsit then.
#2: There was no google yet.
#3: I didn't know nothing about Flyertalk (see#1).
#4: NW offered better student deals for me.

This is the first time I am regretful for being a former UGA student.
lin821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 05, 12:09 am   #7
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Yiron, Israel
Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Posts: 56,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektronic
Yeah, but you'd have to send your son/daughter to U(sic)GA to cash in on this. Is a guilty conscience worth 9,999 miles?
UGA offers some fine courses not usually found at American universities -- such as "English as a Foreign Language".
Dovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 05, 12:38 am   #8
  
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Posts: 1,715
I've got a better one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovster
UGA offers some fine courses not usually found at American universities -- such as "English as a Foreign Language".
That's a pretty good course, but what about my all time favorite, "Basketball 101" (Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball) taught by Prof. Jim Harrick Jr.

Sample questions below:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...z?event_id=600

-go dawgs
90minfromJFK-CDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 05, 1:04 am   #9
  
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, US, AS, SPG Plt, HH Diamond, Marriott
Posts: 9,925
here's some whacky theorical steps!

sign up for school as a student, get the ID card, pay your bill and get set up to be there in September...

Then quit right before fall classes start and pay a small fee--probably a $25 registration fee for administration services. Be un-studented...

BUT when you were technically registered, become the person whose card gets loaded and then cash it out as you would a gift card.

AND, if you are snow skier who happens to live in the northern states, most ski areas give a full season ski pass for about $400 or less if you can prove you were a student! Show your ID and valid registration letter and you get the pass, which saves you sometimes up to $600 more! (a full season pass at some mountains goes up to $1000-1200 and they go on sale in August for the entire ski season! It would save you boat loads and students can be of any age and can be grad or undergrad in many cases.)

So, while being a student (legally at the time) you not only save on your skiing but can also earn 10k miles+other mile-airline deals, and all other perks that come up by being a student.

It can/would work in theory (especially the ski pass part )
But I aint about to do any of it.

Oh and by the by:
Anyone who would flame me just for thinking this up though should be chastized for trying to subdue imagination like some sort of thought-police nazi.
So save it!...


MM
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 05, 7:03 am   #10
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Concierge Key, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,367
Yes,

That was one of the more embarassing moments during my tenure at UGA. However, Assistant Basketball Coach Jim Harrick Jr. and his father, Head Coach Jim Harrick are long gone and our basketball team is paying the price with the NCAA sanctions we have received. You won't see us in the big dance for a few more years.

Moreover, anyone who should chastize the University of Georgia's academic credentials should look into some of its rankings:

“U.S. News & World Report’s” 2003 Best Colleges edition ranks UGA 20th among national public research universities. “Kiplinger’s” magazine ranks UGA 4th among the nation’s top 100 public schools in the nation in terms of getting the best “bang for the buck.”

The latter can be exemplified by my experience. I, along with most of my in-state peers, received the hope scholarship. Basically if you graduated a Georgia High School with a 'B' average or better, and got admitted to UGA, Mean SAT & GPA: 1280 & 3.66, then you receive full tuition and a book allowance provided that you maintain a 3.0. Resultingly, I paid zero tuition for my four years and as a result of the top 20 undergraduate business program (MIS), I received seven job offers in my field of interest (Mgmt & IT Consulting). Thus, I along with Kiplinger, consider UGA an excellent "bang for my buck." Plus I got 19,999 extra ff miles, just for attending!


Quote:
Originally Posted by 90minfromJFK-CDG
That's a pretty good course, but what about my all time favorite, "Basketball 101" (Coaching Principles and Strategies of Basketball) taught by Prof. Jim Harrick Jr.

Sample questions below:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...z?event_id=600

-go dawgs
beofotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 05, 10:32 am   #11
  
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin821
Dam*! I graduated from UGA dozen years too early! I wish all the XXX Bucks were much popular back then. I would have taken the full advantage of it.
Well, maybe not. Reason #1: FT didn't exsit then.
#2: There was no google yet.
#3: I didn't know nothing about Flyertalk (see#1).
#4: NW offered better student deals for me.

This is the first time I am regretful for being a former UGA student.
Hell, I graduated from UGA in 1971, we barely had B/W computers back then! But then again, my parents gave me a Gulf Oil credit card which bought me beer in Arcade! Yer a spoilt child~
ExGateAgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 05, 1:17 pm   #12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 40,882
Did somebody use "University of Georgia" and "academic credentials" in the same post? I think everybody outside of Bulldog Nation just started giggling...

By the way, Question #10 wasn't even that hard when it was originally written - now you actually have to remember the 65th team.
pinniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 05, 1:37 pm   #13
  
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SMF
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 389
Go VOLS!!!

Go VOLS!!!
AA4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 05, 3:06 pm   #14
  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: RIC
Posts: 3,850
My alma mater, the University of Virginia, has a very similar campus debit card program called Cavalier Advantage. Even non-students can open an account (you don't have to have any university affiliation at all), but the program's Web site says that all refunds must be made to the original form of payment, with a $10 processing fee as well.

So the free miles trick wouldn't work for UVA's program, as there's apparently no way to get a cash refund for a deposit made by credit card.
wahooflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 05, 3:22 pm   #15
  
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, US, AS, SPG Plt, HH Diamond, Marriott
Posts: 9,925
At UMASS we didnt even know what miles were. We just drank, invented new drugz and then made fake IDs to go drinking some more and throw stuff out of 22 story high rise dorms to Pink Floyd music!

MM

-go...
who cares whose playing! It's tailgate time!!!!!!!
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top