Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

IAD-HNL in coach: DL, NW or CO - who is best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:28 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

I have just enough mileage for three coach tickets to Hawaii and was wondering if anyone has an opinion of which of these three carriers would be most comfortable, best food and best IFE.

DL would be IAD-ATL-HNL
NW would be IAD-MSP-HNL
CO would be IAD-EWR-HNL (EWR-HNL is an 11 hour flight!)
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I would think

DL
CO
NW (which has no IFE on U.S. flights, unless something changed recently)
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Coach.

Ouch.

Dude.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gleff
Coach.

Ouch.

Dude.
Additional comments from the peanut gallery are not required! Dude, after I get to Kauai, check into my suite at the Hyatt and set my appointment with Monica at the Anara Spa....I won't be thinking about the half day in coach.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Coach....Ouch....Dude!!!

I have to echo gleff's sentiments!!!!!!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
While CO probably has the best front cabin to Hawaii, you're talking about the 3 carriers with the worst coach products there among the majors.

Could you do CO through LAX? (Or would the connection force an overnight, or is there no availability?)
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:55 pm
Original Member

Well, this probably won't work, but...

I don't know when you're going to be going. But if it is in the winter wonths, I think you are gonna have issues with changing flights in the Midwest and Atlanta.

It's an extra plane change, but to avoid this (if you're going in the winter), you could look at a Northwest routing from IAH-MEM-LAX-HNL.

They are available, but they are probably going to be more expensive than the more direct routings you posted.

I'm just thinking of avoiding possible trouble spots. Of course, if you're going in the spring or whatever, the routings you posted are pretty much even IMHO. Delta doesn't fly the L1011 any more, and I don't know what CO and NW fly on that route. But I'd just go for max comfort, like ease of exit rows, or whatever.

Sorry for what is probably a non-answer, but I do hope all three of you have a comfortable trip and an absolute blast in Hawaii!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
NW uses the good ol' DC10. CO and DL both use a 764.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:27 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I just routed someone IAD-MSP/DTW-LAX-HNL in coach the other day on NW. From LAX, NW uses a 757-300, which I believe does have movies (not seat-back). We had the exit row (27) for the LAX-HNL leg with no middle seat occupier, and I'd argue it was just about as good as first on that plane. I'm not nearly as picky as others, so that was more than sufficient for me.

If you're concerned about making such a long flight in coach, that routing would reduce your longest leg to 5 hours, and it can be made in one day all the way out. I believe both NW and DL have LAX-HNL flights that you could use on your routing, but being in different terminals mean you'd have to leave security and be rescanned at the other terminal.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StSebastian
I just routed someone IAD-MSP/DTW-LAX-HNL in coach the other day on NW. From LAX, NW uses a 757-300, which I believe does have movies (not seat-back). We had the exit row (27) for the LAX-HNL leg with no middle seat occupier, and I'd argue it was just about as good as first on that plane. I'm not nearly as picky as others, so that was more than sufficient for me.

If you're concerned about making such a long flight in coach, that routing would reduce your longest leg to 5 hours, and it can be made in one day all the way out. I believe both NW and DL have LAX-HNL flights that you could use on your routing, but being in different terminals mean you'd have to leave security and be rescanned at the other terminal.
Very helpful advice, thank you. I agree with you regarding others being more picky. Do I have a preference between First and Coach? Of course! However, I would never forgo a trip simply because I need to fly coach.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:22 am

Programs: United 1K
CO has the newest planes but they use very thin seat cushions in coach.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:39 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gleff
Coach.
Ouch.
Dude.
While I agree with the above sentiment, I still go with MileageA on this -- I would rather spend my extra $$$ for several days at a very nice place than on the front cabin for 10 hrs. And I would still have extra $$ after doing so.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA3P, DL proletariat, proud Costco Executive member
Not Dl!!

We just finished IAD-SLC-HNL. The flight from SLC-HNL was the least comfortable flight I've experienced. Unless you're 5'2" or under, you will not be able to find a comfortable position in coach. We were in row 12, and none of us, save for the children, were able to rest. The legroom is horrible. If you must, a valuable tip for you: select 11 or 12EF. On both flights on the 764, row 13 had been removed on the right side, giving HUGE amounts of legroom. If it's a redeye, though, the crew will seize these seats, drape blankets from the overheads, and use these seats as crew rest. Major bummer. If you DO get lucky to get these seats, there is a button under the armrest which will extend a footrest of sorts!

I, too, thought I could endure anything to get me to Hawaii; the 764 flight on DL, however, was horrible! I sure miss the L1011...N/S to HNL!

Have a good trip.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:52 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
I'm assuming that you are still working and have to use vacation time to travel. We have a similar distance to go as we live near MCI. The best way we found to break up the trip was to fly to SLC or LAX after work the day before our vacation started. We would Priceline a hotel, normally around $40 and fly to the Islands first thing in the morning. We would typically get to the hotel around 10:00 pm and catch a 7:00-9:00 am flight out the next morning.

A second advantage is you get to the Islands around noon, fairly rested and you almost pick up a full day of vaction. We have gone direct and you get to the Islands about 9:00 pm, dead tired and then have to catch up on the sleep.

Our last few trips we purchased coach and used miles to upgrade to FC. After the first trip in FC9 which was an operational upgrade, my wife bacame quite tolerant of my mileage accumalating deals.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Continental does not have the worst Coach Cabin.... PLEASE! EWR-HNL is totally fine, the 764's are very vew and have IFE aat each seat. Try to score an exit row if you want, check out seatguru.com they yse the 767-400 with the high density seat format (small BF/FC). There is a 32" seat pitch on the 767, I say it makes a nice small different some people don't notice at all...

I personally would take Continental over NW and ESP over DL any day.....

-Vincent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.