Comparing Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum And Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2001, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire

I have been Hilton Gold for a while, and have recently also reached Hyatt Diamond and SPG Platinum. I got the Hyatt Diamond via a promo because of my CO Plat status in 2,000 (similar promo ran with UA 1K). The fine points on the offer for this comped Diamond were that the address on your frequent flyer account appeared to need to be one that had no GP# associated with it. Also you had to stay at Hyatt 3 times by 2/28/01 in order to keep the comp Diamond for the 2,001 year.

I just did my three stays....figured Diamond would be good to have for a year anyway.

I am interested in comments comparing the GP and SPG programs, and also perhaps comparing the quality of the hotels. Here is my take so far:

*Hyatt Gives you a choice of amenity, and the time you receive the amenity. At SPG as Platinum, you do get an amenity, but typically no choice in what you get or when you get it. Hilton offers no amenity (even for Diamonds) so that is why I am mainly comparing SPG to GP.

*Club Levels: You do get upgraded to Regency Club when the property has it at Hyatt, and the club level at SPG (for example at Sheraton). Both Hyatt and SPG, however, have properties that do not have either regency clubs or club levels. For example, the Hyatt Harbor Side in BOS, which opened in the 1990's, does not have a RC. Oddly too, the Hilton Times Square in NYC, opened 2,000, has no exec level. I have not yet stayed at a regency club, so I cannot compare the facilities yet to comparable offerings. E.g. to an SPG club lounge, a Marriott lounge, etc.

*Rules/Customer Service: At Hyatt, the Diamond level seems to be the only one that gives you any kind of upgrade at regular intervals, where as in HH and SPG mid teer members can get upgraded. Also Hyatt states upgrade only valid for 3 nights of a stay (even though this perhaps is not enforced). Nevertheless, the extra fine print is disconcertting for Hyatt GP.

*High Speed Internet: Not sure this is at many Hyatt's. This is important. I have had this at Hiltons, and at one W Hotel in MSY French Quarter.

*1800-checkin: Only Hyatt offers this. Seems to be a way of assuring you get upgraded early in the day.

*Free Breakfast: Only HH provides this as a published benefit. You can get it sometimes at Hyatt, and at SPG properties with club lounges. I suppose you can always ask for a coupon no matter where you are staying as well.

Since there are few tangible benefits of going from HH Gold to Diamond (e.g. no amenity or extra service at the hotels) I'm probably ok just keeping HH Gold. But I probably will need to choose whether to go for SPG Platinum or Hyatt Diamond (e.g. do not stay enough to keep both).

Hyatt seems to do a better job with the amenity...though I've only stayed once so far as SPG with my Plat status. This was at Yankee Clipper in FLL, and I got a pack of nuts and too bottles of water in a brown bag at the front desk. Did get a suite though, which was nice for entertaining (though if traveling alone for 1-2 nights not sure how important a suite is). Club levels are an important benefit, e.g. free dinner. Modern hotels are also nice, e.g. the W.'s. I don't like the boiler plate way that Hyatt describes each hotel on its web site...e.g. HH and SPG seem to provide more property specific narrative.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also fyi for people like me new to Hyatt, at Crystal City Hyatt, below is a summary of the amenity choices:
1. Chips and salsa with beer;
2. Cheese plate with wine;
3. Cookie jar with milk;
4. Energy bar, other snacks, and water; or
5. Assorted snacks and three beers.

At BOS Harbor Side:
1. Cheese plate with fruit;
2. Fruit plate;
3. Some kind of candy, forget details.
Also choice of beer, wine, water. Ordered 2 beers, got 4. Beer served in nice glass container with ice.

Old Mar 1, 2001, 9:54 am

Location: Memphis, TN-SPG Platinum, HY Diamond, HH Gold, NW Platinum, AA Platinum, AVIS Preferred Select.
I was a comped Diamond in 2000 and stayed at two properties: Grand Hyatt SFO and Hyatt West Hollywood. I was a fast track HH gold in 2000 and for this year as well. I have been an SPG Platinum since May 1999. Just wanted to give a brief intro of my background that I will use to base my opinions on for this question.

There is very little comparision between the two as SPG is FAR SUPERIOR than HY in MANY areas.

1. No Blackouts and no capacity controls on awards. Even when a standard room wasn't available for an award redemption, the Platinum desk booked me into an available club room or suite (without my request to do so) to ensure I would have a room and did so at the regular point levels.

2. SPG treats award reservations the EXACT SAME as a paid reservation. When I stayed at the HY SFO and asked about a Suite upgrade the night before arrival, the desk agent said the rate was too low (US AIR 50% off rate) and I would need to pay a higher rate for an upgrade. I have NEVER been told by SPG your rate is too low for an upgrade or an award booking can't be upgraded.

3. Room upgrades at SPG are AWESOME! I have gotten a suite over 92% of all my stays so far. The suite is usually preblocked that morning of arrival (some hotels do it earlier like the BOS Sheraton). I like suite because they are spacious and give room when company wants to come over. From the first day of being Platinum, I haven't stayed in a standard room at all at SPG. The few times a suite wasn't available I got a club, corner, or Towers room.

4. SPG has a variety of hotels for different people's personality. For the posh and discriminating people, they have St. Regis and Luxury Collection. For the person on a budget, they have the Four Points brand. For people who like boutique hotels and service beyond expectation, they have W's. Basically, HY doesn't compare in this area.

5. HY does have very well furnished and anytime accessible Regency clubs. I don't care about club lounges so this isn't an issue for me.

6. SPG does lack in the consistency of the Platinum amenity. It is really a hit or miss if you get it at a lot of places. However, internationally, SPG is very strong in the amenity issue. I got wine, fruit, and matches overseas. I got an SPG mouse pad in SIN. Domestically, it is usally chocolates, candy, water, drink, or fruit mainly. The "W" chain is implenmenting an amenity option card soon. HY does have a very strong amentity program indeed.

7. Platinum Concierage service is offered by SPG. I don't use this since I don't have upgrade problems or require special arrangements.

8. SPG posts credit for most stays in less than 48 hours from checkout of the hotels unlike HY.

9. SPG Platinum agents are just as friendly as I have found in the industry. A lot of agents even remember you time after time and always go ABOVE and BEYOND to do things. I sometimes hate to call SPG cause the agents are too friendly . An Austin agent talked to me for a whole hour this morning and I only called for two simple award cancellations but she was very sweet

I will stop now and let others add on to the list but I have already qualified for SPG platinum for 2002 and will be looking forward to what changes are in store.

[This message has been edited by NW,CO,TW only (edited 03-01-2001).]
Old Mar 1, 2001, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Interesting comparison. I suppose the underlying question is more of where you travel. I am Diamond with Hyatt and this is my first choice where I stay domestically and in Germany. Since Hilton and Sheraton have more properties worldwide and even domestically, I need a back up hotel chain with similar properties and amenities.

In terms of amenities, I enjoy Hyatt's choice much better. Although Starwood provides suite upgrades, I find that the Hyatt upgrades to Regency Club and Business Plan rooms better for work- fax machine, large desk, 2 line phones, etc.

Being only Gold at Hilton and Starwood, I have to ask for upgrades and breakfast coupons and am sometimes denied (Gold HHonors biggest complaints is breakfast not offered). Hyatt already has my upgraded room key waiting for me and during turn down service- provide a checklist for gift.
On another note, Hyatt is always more full service as there is always a fitness center or pool. Hilton charges sometimes for use of this!!

Lastly, don't get me wrong about Starwood. I enjoy Westin very much but you are playing roulette at Sheraton- you can get a very nice new property or a very old run down property.

Old Mar 1, 2001, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Since HY's are pretty consistent, what hotel do they compare too? E.g. are they most like full service Hiltons, Marriott's, or Sheraton's?
Old Mar 1, 2001, 8:45 pm
Suspended

I find one of the biggest benefits of Starwood is the fact that there is always a hotel wherever you go. Whether it be a 4points or St.Regis they provide the option to stay. In the US, you can't swing a cat without it hitting a Hilton, but things in Canada and Overseas are different.
Old Mar 2, 2001, 6:02 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
As a HH Gold (from this years promo) and an 'earned' SPG Platinum & Hyatt Diamond--I would have to agree with many of the above comments. It really does depend on where you stay. Overall, I've found that internationally I've been treated better at Starwood than Hyatt. Where both the amenity and the room or suite have been great. In the US it is very 'hit or miss' with Starwood. Lately I've been getting some sort of amenity (usually fruit, sometimes wine) and I have been receiving a suite from Starwood. Hyatt does have the 'amenity' thing down with a nice choice of items--but in the past 2 years as Diamond, I've gotten a suite once. With both SPG & Hyatt I do get on the Club floors (where offered), but then again, since Jan of this year, as a HH Gold I've been placed on their Club floors as well.
In general, I would have to go with Starwood for overall service. Their consierges's are great, although I generally only use mine for specific hotel reservations when I am looking for something 'special'. Hyatt's strong point, aside from the amenity would be the consistancy of treatment.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I think Starwood's hotels are just plain nicer, at least St. Regis, W, & Westin.
Old Mar 7, 2001, 6:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Anyway to get comped to top tier from Gold, except for AMEX Centurion card?
Old Mar 8, 2001, 6:10 am

(Pushing travel-related threads ahead).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.