Wiki Posts
Search

Points for tsunami aid

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Points for tsunami aid

THAI Invites Royal Orchid Plus Members to Join Mileage Points Donation

Thai Airways International Public Company Limited announced additional donation to relieve tragedy in Southern Thailand under the project “Royal Orchid Plus Crisis Relief” inviting all Royal Orchid Plus members to provide their mileage points to redeem air tickets for non-profit organizations in Thailand to transport medical equipment for the injured people.

Mr. Kanok Abhiradee, THAI’s President, said that the Royal Orchid Plus members may donate at least 10,000 miles as a redemption of air tickets or baggage excess allowance to transport medical equipment for the injured in the Southern Thailand. THAI will donate all provided mileage points to the non-profit organizations in Thailand such as the Ministry of Public Health, Rescue Team, Red Cross Association etc.

Royal Orchid Plus members may inform their donated mileage points, full names, ROP membership number and contact numbers via fax number 0 2545 3300, e-mail via [email protected] or by postal mail to P.O. Box 353 Samsennai Bangkok 10400 with notes: “Mileage points donation to relieve Crisis in Southern Thailand”. Donation is available during 30 December 2004 – 31 January 2005.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Northwest even gives miles for donations to the Red Cross (and other "AirCares" partners)
http://www.nwa.com/corpinfo/aircares/donate/
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Here's a link for more info on a number of airline programs taking mileage donations for tsumami relief

http://www.redcross.org/donate/donatemiles.html
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Randy has a pretty comprehensive list "of frequent flyer/hotel programs that are allowing members to donate miles or points to organizations directly involved with relief efforts in the recent earthquake/tsunami disasters in Southeast Asia."
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if an airline has space to send 100 units of aid to the disaster relief, why don't they just do it? If customers have only donated enough miles to cover 50 units, do the other 50 go to waste? It's all funny money isn't it, not like "donating" points/miles is providing cash to pay for the flight.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
aide should be set up in terms of the aid GIVER and the ultimate receiver...

Originally Posted by CPRich
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if an airline has space to send 100 units of aid to the disaster relief, why don't they just do it? If customers have only donated enough miles to cover 50 units, do the other 50 go to waste? It's all funny money isn't it, not like "donating" points/miles is providing cash to pay for the flight.
I agree with this...

and furthermore, what would really be nice is having the ability to donate any and all stray miles and points one has available in order to put them to good use. Not that this is all one may give or anything, but it's kind of like using the concept of a yard sale, where you clean out the basement or garage to give or sell cheaply all the stuff you do not need for the benefit of those who do need it. AND, in doing so, your house and life, and in some cases, your mind, becomes less cluttered. This action better positions one's self to have both the time and ability to give even more in much larger and much more worthy chunks of value down the line!

Hence, if I could give my 2,341 Singapore miles, my 4,024 us air miles, my 301 continental miles, etc... Then I may be more inclined to give say, 25,000 or 50,000 or 75k AA or NWA miles so that a person or two may be able to fly in to find family or out to get safety and medicine!

It is obvious that Aid needs to be set up based on the needs of the ultimate receiving victim, not just the organization that provides it. Also, is there a way to give in such a way that it is set up based on the realistic situation of the giver and not just the receiving organization? I bet more people would give if that were how these things were set up!

I find that because of the vast amount of forms and paperwork that many factions or organizations often forces victims to provide, it is often almost painful in itself to RECEIVE some aid! I have seen this first hand and they really need to make it easier. In these early stages of the disaster, I am certain the average Joe in SE Asia right now is not having to do paperwork to receive water and medical care, but the system for providing aid needs a bit of streamlining and now is a great time to start overhauling it and putting new ideas into action.

MM

aide should be set up in terms of the aid GIVER and the ultimate receiver...
Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:15 am
GWH

Programs: LH SEN
Aid

I agree with the last viewpoint. Aid should be seen from the viewpoint of the recipient.

However the attitude of the channelling organisation can be noted.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
THAI will donate all provided mileage points to the non-profit organizations in Thailand such as the Ministry of Public Health, Rescue Team, Red Cross Association etc.
But all government bodies and agencies in Thailand get FREE travel. And especially in these crisis times, most transportation for the above will be covered by the Thai Government anyway. So what exactly does TG ROP mean?
Old Dec 31, 2004, 6:23 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Seems to me that the airlines are making out by slightly decreasing their exposure to free tickets. Shameful.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:09 am

Programs: QR platinum

you can add SN Privelege:
With your miles you can also support a humanitarian cause by donating a minimum of 5 000 miles or increments thereof to UNICEF.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:21 pm
Neo

Miles & more tsunami charity

any idea when miles & more miles will also be available for charity
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Neo
any idea when miles & more miles will also be available for charity
[edit, because of new infos]
this would also be good but is not planned.

BUT i have just learnd from a partner: lufthansa did help and is helping a lot in the background (in the millions of euros) without attention which is very good. we were talking that is not so good to keep hearing on the television, country X gives more now, no, country Y does. i am getting ashamed to hear the bragging. we should just help because we help.

Last edited by LHstatus; Jan 7, 2005 at 4:32 am
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:11 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
United is giving 500 bonus miles for any donation greater than $50, and double miles with their Visa card

Member Contributions Rewarded by United and Chase Bank
Any Mileage Plus member who contributes more than $50.00USD or equivalent to one of United’s designated charities by January 31, 2005 will receive a bonus of 500 redeemable miles* (see Terms and Conditions). United will contribute up to 5 million miles to support this bonus mile offer. In addition, Chase will award double miles** (see Terms and Conditions) to any member who uses the Mileage Plus® Visa® card to make their donation. Chase will provide up to a total of 5 million miles to support this double mile incentive.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...=%2Fassistasia
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:50 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
http://www.nwa.com/corpinfo/aircares/donate/

Northwest Airlines is also (and before United):
Northwest WorldPerks® members who contribute at least $50 to our AirCares charity partners [Long list: http://www.nwa.com/corpinfo/aircares/partners/ ]will receive 500 WorldPerks Bonus Miles. To make a monetary contribution, you may contact most organizations directly and mention the Northwest AirCares program (please be sure to include your WorldPerks number in order to receive the Bonus Miles). If an organization is unable to assist you in recording your WorldPerks number for proper Bonus Mile credit, please save your receipt and contact AirCares at the address below.

To make a mileage donation, simply call toll-free at 800-327-2881. Minimum donation is 5,000 miles; larger donations may be made in 1,000-mile increments. All donations are final.

Northwest Airlines welcomes inquiries about our AirCares Program. For more information write us at e-mail address [email protected] or by U.S. Mail at:
Northwest Airlines
Dept. A1305
2700 Lone Oak Parkway
Eagan, MN 55121
Old Jan 9, 2005, 2:20 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Hence, if I could give my 2,341 Singapore miles, my 4,024 us air miles, my 301 continental miles, etc... Then I may be more inclined to give say, 25,000 or 50,000 or 75k AA or NWA miles so that a person or two may be able to fly in to find family or out to get safety and medicine!

aid should be set up in terms of the aid GIVER and the ultimate receiver...
US & UA & DL allow exact-number-of-miles donations to selected charities: a 1K or 5K minimum but no nasty increments . The idea is that all the small odd amounts are put into each charity's FF account, from which tickets can be issued. The Red Cross intends to use miles to fly aid workers over there.

The best I've seen so far:
http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...004/dec04/3196

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.