Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help! with combining/maximizing my miles for award

Old Dec 26, 2000, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Hi. I am getting married in May 2001 in Hawaii. I want to get airfare for two and as many hotel nights as possible. I've never booked an award and could use some advice on how best to combine my miles in various programs. My current balances are listed below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

American 13,169
AMEX 22,000
Continental 2,452
Delta 6,138
Hilton 54,628
Marriott 25,990
Northwest 17,734
United 44,390
US Airways 41,276
Old Dec 26, 2000, 4:58 pm

Welcome to this board Dave123. You can use your US Airways miles to get a eco ticket on AA to Hawaii. Your UA miles will also be good enough for a eco ticket to Hawaii. Maybe you should keep your fingers crossed that UA/US merge will go through(and your miles might end up in the same account). Another option is to transfer miles into your Hilton account and read the different threads here about earning more Hilton points.
Old Dec 26, 2000, 5:27 pm

Dave123,

I think coach to Hawaii is 35,000 miles. Without factoring any additional points that may be earned from now until then, I would suggest trying to get 70,000 points into one of your frequent flyer programs. I am not too familiar with AMEX will it allow transfers to UAL or USAIR? I would give one of those airlines all of your amex points and then transfer some of your airline miles through Hilton to make up the difference.

I believe that there are rewards for flying between the islands for 5,000 points, I don't know which thread that discussed that topic, but that might be a good use of some of your orphan airline miles.

Hope that helps.

R
Old Dec 26, 2000, 6:19 pm

David,

Go to the Hilton folder and read the GOLD/50000 points bonus thread. If you can arrange 4 stays by 2/28/2001 you can get 50000 more Hilton points and Gold status. With this and your current balance you have 100,000 and that is 5 or 6 nights at Hilton in Hawaii, either the big island or Waikiki. For the air you need to get to 70,000 in a single account to fly together in economy. If Amex gets you 20000 in UA or US then you are almost there. The interisland flights are indeed 5000 miles each roundtrip, i believe with AA and others so you should be able to get a couple of those as well. I am sure there will be other good suggestions as well, I just wanted to make you aware quickly of the Hilton offer because it's a great one and the Waikaloa property on the big island is great for a honeymoon...Good luck!
Old Dec 26, 2000, 7:28 pm
Original Member

Dave--You already have enough for the flights, but you had better move quickly. In order to do so, you should check with American as soon as possible and see if you can get the two seats to Hawaii. Then, you can dump 16K of your AMEX into US, giving you 57K US. US and AA are still combinable for awards, so you will have a total of 70,000, enough to get you your two tickets to Hawaii, at 35,000 each. Only problem is you may have to dump the 16K into US before you know if you can use them, and you can't reverse it, from what I understand.

Another way with your miles is to take separate tickets on US and United, but I'm guessing that your wife-to-be won't like that!

As to the hotel ideas, the suggestion above is a good one.

Djlawman
Old Dec 26, 2000, 7:57 pm
In memoriam

US Airways doesn't serve Hawaii.

I know that you can use US miles for an AA award, but are you saying that you can combine US and AA miles for an AA award?
Old Dec 26, 2000, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
dave123,

1. Move 6,000 Amex points to USAir which will give you 47,276 miles with US. Next, call American. Tell them that you want to combine your US miles with your AA miles (total 60,445) for a NetSaaver award for Hawaii. There is an award where you can fly FC for 30,000 miles + $275pp. Don't settle for coach-this your honeymoon.

2. Participate in the previously noted Hilton promo for 4 nights and 50,000 points. This will also make you 2nd tier elite with them. By being Gold, there is a very good chance you can get an upgraded room. Additionally, you get conciege club access if you are Gold. After completing the promo, you should have about 110,000 points with them. It's easy to get the 4 nights cheaply. It you need advice, just ask.

3. Transfer 14,000 Amex points to your Delta account. After the points are credited, move 20,000 Delta miles to Hilton which yields another 40,000 Hilton points. You now have about 150,000 Hilton points; enough for a nice reward. Note that the Hilton Turtle Bay has a Hilton Point Stretcher award of 99,000 points for six nights. With 150,000 points, you can probably do better.

4. Whenever you call for an award or make reservations, make sure that you let people know that this is for your honeymoon! If people know this fact, lots of rules will get waived. WARNING-SEXIST COMMENT TO FOLLOW!! When you call for an Award/reservations, if you get a guy, hang and call back until you get a woman. Women love to help with honeymoons!!
Old Dec 27, 2000, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2000, 7:03 pm
Original Member

Sheryl--you can combine US and AA miles for flights on US or for flights on AA. See their respective web sites.

Dave123--Bill Morrow has given you excellent advice!

Djlawman
Old Dec 27, 2000, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Djlawman, thanks!

One last tip. If you try to use a hotel award and the chain tells you their is no availability for the time you want, call the hotel directly. Call on a weekday during the day shift and ask for the head of the reservations area. They can usually make exceptions.
Old Dec 28, 2000, 2:29 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally posted by BillMorrow:
NetSaaver award for Hawaii. There is an award where you can fly FC for 30,000 miles + $275pp:
Is this NetSaaver award still available? I can't find information on it anywhere on AA's or this site. I'm wondering if it is available for flights from, rather than to, Hawaii.

And, to add my two cents to other replies here as to which hotel to Honeymoon at, I would say that, as far as Hiltons go, the Hilton Waikoloan on the Big Island is the nicest for a romantic stay.

The Hilton Turtle Bay, on the north shore of Oahu, is a middle-aged property that is really looking old and tired. I guess it's okay if you really like horseback riding or watching sea turtles swimming in the beach next to the hotel.

The Hilton in Waikiki is okay if you like a big busy hotel close to the hustle and bustle of Waikiki.
Old Dec 28, 2000, 10:35 am

BillMorrow:

Excellent analysis! Where were you when I was taking my honeymoon!?!?!!?!!?

Mac

------------------
Via con Dios!
Old Dec 28, 2000, 11:13 am

Apply for the Hilton AMEX card and you will automatically receive 7500 with your first purchase and upgraded to Silver HHONORS. You can use ALON reward for 6 free nights for 100,000 at Hawaiin hotels. I used it for my honeymoon at the Waikoloa village on the Big Island - FABULOUS place!
You need to book asap as the Hawaiian rewards may be gone by now!
You can reserve now and then call in reward when you have the points with Hilton. Gives yo a little extra time to get points transferred. You can always cancel the reservation if you change your mind but need to make sure you get it in the first place.
Another thing, that Delta can be redeemed in 5000 increments and sent to Hilton for a 2-1 conversion - 10,000 right off the bat!

Old Dec 28, 2000, 11:38 am

Bill,

Amazing analysis. When I plan my parent's first and last trip to Europe, I am gonna send you an email.

Cheers,

Richard
Old Dec 28, 2000, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

According to AA customer service, the NetSaaver award for Hawaii (30000 + $275) says travel must be completed by May 24th. I will start travel on May 18th but not finish until June. My question: How absolute is the May 24th deadline? What's the best way to get it extended? Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.