Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volumebuy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2000, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Volumebuy

THe $50 certs are back 5days left! it is now at $45. Lets see how fast we can get it down to $37.50
Old Mar 24, 2000, 6:12 pm

I'm in! Marriott certificates are there too!
http://www.volumebuy.com/

------------------
Earn money back for shopping online -- http://www.ebates.com/index.jhtml?referrer=keithnj973
Old Mar 24, 2000, 6:24 pm

Be sure to read the "restrictions" when buying the Mariott "certificates". They are actually called "cheques" and have a lot of restrictions.

Cannot be used at conventions and you can only use ONE cheque per visit.

Old Mar 24, 2000, 6:45 pm

According to CanadianFlyer:
you can only use ONE cheque per visit.
But according to Volumebuy:
Marriott Cheques are as good as cash and may be used more that [sic] one at a time.
CanadianFlyer: Do you know something the rest of us don't?
Old Mar 24, 2000, 8:28 pm

UpGradeMe, You are Correct. I misread the bad English in the rules.

Sorry for posting the incorrect information.
Old Mar 25, 2000, 8:47 pm

Ok, I'm in - I just bought 40 cheques at the $45 level, and dropped the price for all of us to $42.50. We now need just 75 more sold in the next four days for it to drop to the $37.50 level - which amounts to a 25% discount at Marriott. Jump in folks!!!!
Old Mar 25, 2000, 10:01 pm

Called Marriot to see if I could use the cheques for the Kamaina (sp?) rate in Hawaii, since that is not published and available only to residents. The "supervisor" said that would be OK. So perhaps the cheques are not all that restrictive.
Old Mar 27, 2000, 2:41 pm
Original Member

I still need to be 100% convinced (I'm about 95% there), but if it's the real deal, I'll be in for several grand. I bought $20,000 in Hyatt certs last year for their promotion and am always looking for a great deal like this.

Couple of [naive] questions:
1. Do Marriott points still count?
2. Does the full pre-certificate charge show up on the receipt?

If so, we're as good as $37.50...
Old Mar 27, 2000, 2:47 pm
Original Member

One more question:

Can you still use your own travel agent (like Travelers Advantage) or do you have to call their 800 number for a "special" rate? I'm looking to squeeze another 5% out of this turnip...
Old Mar 27, 2000, 3:16 pm

Tino - if you click on the offer at Volumebuy's home page it lists all the certificate rules. Essentially they are as good as cash (with some limited restrictions), but you essentially make your reservation as you always do, and simply pay with the certificates on check-out. Thus they are not good on the "advance purchase" rates Marriott offers from time to time but otherwise seem pretty flexible. The pool closes in 2 days - and has now dropped to 47 more items need for the lowest price.
Old Mar 27, 2000, 3:31 pm

Tino - also an interesting rule from the Marriott web site: "Certificates may be redeemed up to one year past the stated expiration date in Hawaii and Massachusetts. Certificates may be redeemed in Rhode Island beyond stated expiration date. Expired awards may be redeemed in California." I think this relates to certain laws relative to gift certificates, for example I know in Massachusetts gift certificates must be valid for two years.
Old Mar 27, 2000, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
OK, when I signed on, it said that 46 were needed to bring the price down the last notch, to $37.50. So I asked for 20. The site responded that I was limited to eight, because we were at the fifth price level! So, I changed my order to eight, and it went through. I wonder if I can go back on and order eight more? None of the previous posters said anything about limits.

Bruce
Old Mar 27, 2000, 6:55 pm

bd - if you look at some of the earlier threads you'll see this discussed. Apparently they are limiting purchases on the next to last level to 8 certificates, and if drops to the final level the limit goes to 4 certificates. Others who placed duplicate orders found their orders go through - only to be e-mailed later that their additional orders were being cancelled (don't know what this does to the pricing for everyone else!). But you could order some to your office address and some in a spouse's name to your home address with different credit cards - or something like that. The next level will be achieved with only 30 more certificates sold - so I'm optimistic. The AA certificates aren't doing as well - I'm hoping someone will swoop in and buy 100 to bring it to the next price level!
Old Mar 27, 2000, 7:04 pm

I just bought 8 Mariott cheques but have a few questions about the AA certs. It seems that previously, less purchases were required to drop the price to the next lower level. Did anyone else notice this?
Old Mar 28, 2000, 8:03 am

An interesting thing - while your "bid" is a firm commitment, their refund policy says you can return the AA certificates within 30 days for a full refund - so if you bid and the price doesn't drop you can simply ship the certificates back and get a full refund. Its not clear to me how they set their increments - they seem somewhat random, although I'm sure they are not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.