The Pudding Guy Story

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Pudding Guy Story

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the nice words and fond memories!

I'm still around. I'm still traveling and collecting miles & points, but that hobby has taken a backseat to running in the past few years. I ran a marathon at the end of 2007 and caught the bug. I've now run 16 marathons and will be running Boston in April! The miles have helped move us around for marathons.

I didn't match beaubo's take on the KLM deal, but I was able to take advantage of that one, too, and I have to agree that it was probably the easiest miles ever. I took 3 flights (on NWA and Continental), and they matched nearly all of my AA pudding miles. Add in the 1.8 multiplication that occurred later, the top-level status match for several years, and the incredible deals they offered from the US (e.g. I think SFO-AMS-SIN-AMS-SFO in Business Class was 40k miles on sale), and we had quite a run with KLM. I collected several dozen Delft houses in just a few years.

Recently, the travel hasn't been quite so fun. The last few trips we've taken have been full of very long delays and hassles. Let's hope for a return to the golden days soon!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread reminded me -- I was wondering if anyone had gotten Million-Mile status or better from Club Bing (formerly Live Search Club). This was another AA (and other carrier) mass-mile opportunity but I was cautious and rule-abiding at the beginning, paradoxically when it was actually wide open.

If someone had opened multiple accounts and used multiple PCs early on when there was no ticket limit, it would have been very possible to reach 1,000,000 AA miles fairly quickly even without using bots. So I figure someone must have done it. Anyone care to confess? Certainly since there is no cost other than the time spent, it would top the Pudding Caper.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Originally Posted by mileage junkie

Has anyone ever come close to getting the sheer amount of miles, in that short a period of time, and with the (relatively, in relation to the number of miles earned) small amount of work required to get them!?
Well I did earn 2.9 million Amex MR points
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pers-like.html
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by beaubo

And there you have it!
Cool, and I assume you also kept all your original points too. Win win!!!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by Pudding Guy
I'm still around. I'm still traveling and collecting miles & points, but that hobby has taken a backseat to running in the past few years. I ran a marathon at the end of 2007 and caught the bug. I've now run 16 marathons and will be running Boston in April!
So I guess all of that pudding didn't go to waist!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Pudding Guy
Thanks for the nice words and fond memories!

I'm still around. I'm still traveling and collecting miles & points, but that hobby has taken a backseat to running in the past few years. I ran a marathon at the end of 2007 and caught the bug. I've now run 16 marathons and will be running Boston in April! The miles have helped move us around for marathons.

I didn't match beaubo's take on the KLM deal, but I was able to take advantage of that one, too, and I have to agree that it was probably the easiest miles ever. I took 3 flights (on NWA and Continental), and they matched nearly all of my AA pudding miles. Add in the 1.8 multiplication that occurred later, the top-level status match for several years, and the incredible deals they offered from the US (e.g. I think SFO-AMS-SIN-AMS-SFO in Business Class was 40k miles on sale), and we had quite a run with KLM. I collected several dozen Delft houses in just a few years.

Recently, the travel hasn't been quite so fun. The last few trips we've taken have been full of very long delays and hassles. Let's hope for a return to the golden days soon!
Drop us a line when you're in town. Drinks are on us.

Mike
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by altaskier
So I guess all of that pudding didn't go to waist!
Pun of the day!

The Marathon bug is a dangerous bug, now for you to catch the ultra bug!
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:46 pm

Just goes to show that chasing points can be fun, creative....and addictive!!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 4:47 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
Just goes to show that chasing points can be fun, creative....and addictive!!
Amen!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Coverage 17 years later:

http://www.businessinsider.com/david...e-miles-2016-6
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

Loved watching that. He will always be a FlyerTalk legend. I've met him at a Chicago event, and he's a heck of a nice guy.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Smile

A legend he is. He got me on to buying boxes of Corn Flakes in Atlanta and doing the million mile LatinPass run.

Ah - the good ol days!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Fun

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
So much fun the see that. Thanks for posting!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I totally enjoyed viewing this. Thx for posting it. It's incredibly inspiring to think upon the way he maximized a golden opportunity. So clever!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like he was flying coach, huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.