Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2017

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2017

Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by miadukes
I would have never thought that alamo would sell out.
It's a good deal; it's not too hard to get a 2 day Alamo rental for around $50 during the offseason (sometimes three days during the right times of year). WN has a promo where you get 1200 points (about $17 in airfare) for a two day rental.

So in essence you're paying $25 plus some taxes for a two or three day car rental and $17 in WN fares. (Yes, I know, people turn their noses up at WN. I rather like the flexibility they give me for short coach flight.) Very hard to beat that.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's a good deal; it's not too hard to get a 2 day Alamo rental for around $50 during the offseason (sometimes three days during the right times of year). WN has a promo where you get 1200 points (about $17 in airfare) for a two day rental.

So in essence you're paying $25 plus some taxes for a two or three day car rental and $17 in WN fares. (Yes, I know, people turn their noses up at WN. I rather like the flexibility they give me for short coach flight.) Very hard to beat that.
If you have a Discover card (and you should, especially for the first year double bonus), you can use $20 of points any day for a $40 Alamo coupon. So pretty much the same deal, although I don't think you can use multiple coupons with Discover.

I'm also surprised this sold out so fast. It's previously lingered for days. It's a good deal for frequent car renters, but obviously not life-changing.

EDIT:

Does anyone remember how many Alamo certs were sold in years past? It seems very strange that these would have sold out so quickly, when they've previously lingered. I see nothing on the web which suggests thee was any particular enthusiasm or even discussion of this offer. If anything, people seem to be dismissing this year's Daily Getaways promotion as "boring."

Last edited by iahphx; Apr 10, 2017 at 8:04 pm Reason: more
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Case in point; just turned a two day Alamo rental out of DFW for $80 into a two day rental for $23 with $17 in WN WGA points kicked back with one of those.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

All of today's Las Vegas getaways sold out pretty quickly.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Today was IHG, las vegas was yesterday. Is IHG sold out ?? I didn't bother checking since its not that great a deal and no need for those points this year.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miadukes
Today was IHG, las vegas was yesterday. Is IHG sold out ?? I didn't bother checking since its not that great a deal and no need for those points this year.
Nope. There are some places where buying IHG @~.6 cpp makes sense for me, but it's on the margins, and it's not for the ber fancy places either, it's more "I'll probably save $20 from on bidding on Hotwire, and I get this Staybridge or HIX in the absolute PERFECT spot".

$20 is $20...
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:03 pm

Nope. There are some places where buying IHG @~.6 cpp makes sense for me, but it's on the margins, and it's not for the ber fancy places either, it's more "I'll probably save $20 from on bidding on Hotwire, and I get this Staybridge or HIX in the absolute PERFECT spot".

$20 is $20...

Oh I completely agree. Sometimes its just a matter of the taxes making a difference. For me this year, I dont have any planned redemptions for them and anything local I can do better cash rate so I am just passing on IHG this year. At least for now, maybe by the end i add some but I was comparing the couple places i would use it at and it just didnt make sense for me.

I am really only going to try for busch gardens tomorrow just cuz why not and the Choice and Hyatt points
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:16 pm

All the "deals" are now visible on the site.

Marriott 20 percent off gift cards are in the second to the last week and the just-over 1 cent Hyatt points are at the end. Choice is about the same as it has been in the past.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:04 am

Got my 2 busch gardens tickets. yay
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:35 am

Picked up 4 for Sea World...only one chance to visit and it will be for a day, so this is perfect. Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: UA Gold Premier, AA Life Platinum 3MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
For those who, like me, are enthusisasts for the Chase Sapphire Reserve (and JP Morgan Reserve) VISA cards as well as those who use the serviceable but less rewarding Chase Sapphire card, it is worth noting that purchases made through dailygetaways qualify for the full (card appropriate) Chase travel match.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:14 pm

@Rover75 So are you confirming the Daily Getaways purchase above will credit back with the Sapphire Reserve $300 annual Travel Credit, in addition to the 3x pts shown?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
false advertising

These daily getaways are starting to bug me. I feel some of the offers are completely false or misleading when you look at the estimated values. I believe this has turned into false advertising and something they should/could be sited for by consumer advocates.

For example they offer 100k Hilton Honors points for $480 with an estimated value of $1,000.
https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/O...6-58a5fd99c253

However if you were to look at Hilton Honors awards in a major City such as Washington DC or NYC its common to see $205 (advance purchase) rooms listed at 50k points.

That price estimates the value at 1 cent per point, however others have estimated that only the two lowest categories of 10 hotel award categories are worth more than 1 center per point. At least in major metro areas there are no 1 or 2 category hotels, so I doubt 50% of the redemptions are at that level.
https://www.valuepenguin.com/hilton-...ewards-program

If anything in my area that $480 price is higher than just booking an advance purchase room rate.

I've also checked my Hilton account and they are offering me 50k points + 50k bonus points for $500 (I'm gold), so that $480 offer is only $20 less than what Hilton will directly sell the points for.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: AP, AS, BAEC, HH, SPG, FPC, PC
6 Night @ The Fairmont Kea Lani for just $2,178

Hello everyone, what are your thoughts on the Fairmont Vacation Package.

Am thinking of purchasing for use in early July.

On the Redemption page, it says that the certificates will be FedEx to the address at the time of purchase - does anyone know if it has to be a US address? Also, is it typical that someone has to be home to signoff for receipt?

TIA
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
These daily getaways are starting to bug me. I feel some of the offers are completely false or misleading when you look at the estimated values. I believe this has turned into false advertising and something they should/could be sited for by consumer advocates.

For example they offer 100k Hilton Honors points for $480 with an estimated value of $1,000.
https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/O...6-58a5fd99c253

However if you were to look at Hilton Honors awards in a major City such as Washington DC or NYC its common to see $205 (advance purchase) rooms listed at 50k points.

That price estimates the value at 1 cent per point, however others have estimated that only the two lowest categories of 10 hotel award categories are worth more than 1 center per point. At least in major metro areas there are no 1 or 2 category hotels, so I doubt 50% of the redemptions are at that level.
https://www.valuepenguin.com/hilton-...ewards-program

If anything in my area that $480 price is higher than just booking an advance purchase room rate.

I've also checked my Hilton account and they are offering me 50k points + 50k bonus points for $500 (I'm gold), so that $480 offer is only $20 less than what Hilton will directly sell the points for.
The price for points when Hilton normally sells points for is a penny a point.

The fact that this is a horrible price for Hilton points and that every so often Hilton runs points sales doesn't suddenly make Daily Getaways bait and switch. They are comparing to the normal price for Hilton points.

Also, point reservations aren't the same as non-refundable advance purchase, so I don't think your comparison is an exact match. Points reservations can be cancelled and the points refunded; advance purchase rates are nonrefundable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.