AwardHacker: a tool we build to tell you how to travel with the least miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AwardHacker: a tool we build to tell you how to travel with the least miles

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What does "MR" mean? Well, I know it means Membership Rewards, but Membership Rewards in which country? MembershipRewards have different partners in different countries.

I think this needs to be clarified, at the very least in the drop down where you current spell out that it means Amex Membership Rewards.

Also, is it really true that CX multi-partner awards are less than single-partner awards? It shows the opposite on MH. A search I tried LAX to JNB round-trip in Business showed CX wanting only 160k+ for multi-partner but 175k for single-partner, while it showed MH wanting 174k for single-partner and 190K+ for multi-partner. I want to make sure this correct and not a mis-labeling.

Another thing: I searched LAX to CDG, and AA came up showing nonstop as well as 1-stop, and "oneworld and more". That's presumably because of Air Tahiti Nui flies it nonstop. But there's no guidance on how to search for Air Tahiti Nui availability; it just says first try aa.com (which doesn't show it), and then it says where to look for oneworld availability (but Air Tahiti Nui isn't oneworld or any alliance). At the very least, if you don't know a better answer, I suggest you add "you may have to call AA for availability on some non-oneworld partners".

And thanks for creating it! ^

CX award chart is here, and although counter-intuitive, it is true that Multi-partners chart can use less miles than single-partner chart (LAX-LHR-JNB for example).

Another counter-intuitive but true case when debugging AwardHacker is that when using BA avios, 1-stop flights can occasionally use less avios than nonstop flight. For example, BOS-HKG one way eco takes 50k avios, while BOS-NRT-HKG only takes 35k+10k=45k avios, though you have to search by segment by segment on BA.

The non-alliance tip is an excellent suggestion! I've added it to the availability tips. Thanks!
Old May 27, 2016, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What does "MR" mean? Well, I know it means Membership Rewards, but Membership Rewards in which country? MembershipRewards have different partners in different countries.

I think this needs to be clarified, at the very least in the drop down where you current spell out that it means Amex Membership Rewards.

Also, is it really true that CX multi-partner awards are less than single-partner awards? It shows the opposite on MH. A search I tried LAX to JNB round-trip in Business showed CX wanting only 160k+ for multi-partner but 175k for single-partner, while it showed MH wanting 174k for single-partner and 190K+ for multi-partner. I want to make sure this correct and not a mis-labeling.

Another thing: I searched LAX to CDG, and AA came up showing nonstop as well as 1-stop, and "oneworld and more". That's presumably because of Air Tahiti Nui flies it nonstop. But there's no guidance on how to search for Air Tahiti Nui availability; it just says first try aa.com (which doesn't show it), and then it says where to look for oneworld availability (but Air Tahiti Nui isn't oneworld or any alliance). At the very least, if you don't know a better answer, I suggest you add "you may have to call AA for availability on some non-oneworld partners".

And thanks for creating it! ^
I don't know what happened, but every time I tried to reply to you on your post, it says my post need to be approved...
Old May 28, 2016, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by skysniper
Adding the submit button will not accelerate loading speed
For a single search, the page had to load four times for me (actually six because I made a mistake and had to correct it) to get all the data entered, so it would save at least 75% of the time.

Currently it's acceptable for us to pay a few dollars more per month to save users a click per search
As a user, I disagree. Having to load the page four (or more) times is painful when a single button click would save almost all that time.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Looks promising. Good job thus far and good luck!
Old May 30, 2016, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As a user, I disagree. Having to load the page four (or more) times is painful when a single button click would save almost all that time.
Oh I think you misunderstand how it works... Each search will start immediately after user change something (not when previous search finishes), and each search is asynchronous which means that they are independent of each other. As long as the server side has idle resources, this will not slow down the loading process at all, because those search are running in background at the same time. In other word, adding the button won't shorten the loading time, it only saves us some server resources. The only reason it is slow now is that the search indeed takes a long time... Furthermore, the additional search are not wasted since the results are cached so that when other users do the same search in the future, no more loading time!
Old May 30, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: Jet Privilege
Thanks very much and well done PhysixFan for this. We appreciate your efforts
Old May 31, 2016, 5:26 pm

Looks like a great start. This is the sort of thing I really need.
Bob
Old May 31, 2016, 5:50 pm

Pretty good! Keep up the good work! ^
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:44 am

very nice...I like it...
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
A great tool, good work!

A couple of points:
1. It doesn't appear you have taken in to account the 15% miles discount on SQ awards? This is pretty standard.
2. With the transfer partners you might want to clarify somewhere that they are US based. As MR is obviously different here in Australia, etc.
3. Taxes + approx fuel surcharges would be a great addition but could see it would be much more difficult to add in unless you can get something that takes the taxes and YQ rates out of a breakdown of the fare type.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by travelislife
A great tool, good work!

A couple of points:
1. It doesn't appear you have taken in to account the 15% miles discount on SQ awards? This is pretty standard.
2. With the transfer partners you might want to clarify somewhere that they are US based. As MR is obviously different here in Australia, etc.
3. Taxes + approx fuel surcharges would be a great addition but could see it would be much more difficult to add in unless you can get something that takes the taxes and YQ rates out of a breakdown of the fare type.
Thanks for your suggestions! 1 and 2 have been fixed, while 3 is hard, and we are trying to show at least an indicator about whether YQ will be charged or not.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:39 pm

Thanks for your suggestions! 1 and 2 have been fixed, while 3 is hard, and we are trying to show at least an indicator about whether YQ will be charged or not.
Good stuff.

Another point. Something doesn't seem quite right with the JAL redemption rates. Using MEL-BKK as an example it is providing JAL FFP with flights on MH for 65k return in business class. As far as I can tell this isn't possible and should be 80k as the total return miles is 9364 falling in the 8000-10000 band. Do let me know if I have made a mistake!

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/...rld/miles.html
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Looks really nice. Loads quick, and gave me some options I wasn't aware of.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by travelislife
Good stuff.

Another point. Something doesn't seem quite right with the JAL redemption rates. Using MEL-BKK as an example it is providing JAL FFP with flights on MH for 65k return in business class. As far as I can tell this isn't possible and should be 80k as the total return miles is 9364 falling in the 8000-10000 band. Do let me know if I have made a mistake!

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/...rld/miles.html
You should look at the single partner award chart http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/...b_mile_ar.html since only one partner airline is involved. Also see this page for more detailed description http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/...index.html#a02. The chart you are looking at allows the mixture of multiple oneworld operate airlines, and thus requires more miles.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:05 pm

You should look at the single partner award chart http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/...b_mile_ar.html since only one partner airline is involved. Also see this page for more detailed description http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/...index.html#a02. The chart you are looking at allows the mixture of multiple oneworld operate airlines, and thus requires more miles.
Well there you go! I knew I was missing something! Thanks for that. Now I just wish it was easy to earn JAL miles, your site has opened my eyes to their great redemption rates for us Australians!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.