Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Programs in Which Points/Miles Never Expire

Airlines
Hotels
  • Best Western (for members of the North American club, which includes members who reside in North/Central/South America, Asia, and South Africa)

Expiring Points/Miles & How to Reset the Clock

Airlines
Format is Airline (airline IATA code) program name: duration (methods to reset expiration)
"Hard expiry" means expiration clock cannot be reset through normal earning/redemption.
Hotels
Miscellaneous
Edit
15 Jan 2018. VX ffp absorbed by AS following takeover
10 Feb 2018 Added VS link. AB closed
23 Feb 2018 Added EgyptAir
18 Mar 2018 renamed / relinked Club Carlson to Radisson Rewards
19 Mar 2018 Added IB thread
27 Apr 2018 Added new Avianca policy thread
16 May 2018 Added EK reinstate link
14 Aug 2018 Added Hyatt link
23 Aug 2018 AC to buy back Aeroplan ffp
18 Nov 2018 Added AC link
11 Dec 2018 EK Plat no expiry
20 Apr 2019 Starwood taken over. Jetairways stopped flying
15 May 2019 Added CA, AY, RJ, SK
03 Nov 2019 Added Radisson link
16 Nov 2019 Added Intermiles Program (former JetPrivilege) link
16 Nov 2019 Updated Eithad
23 Nov 2019 Added Shangri-La Golden Circle to hotels, moved Southwest to non-expiring
10 Dec 2019 Cathay Pacific Asia Miles. Hard expiry to 18 months if no activity
10 Dec 2019 In hotels, noted that La Quinta is now just part of Wyndham Rewards (not a separate program any more)
11 Jan 2020 In hotels, updated Hilton for 15 months (previously 12 months) + updated Accor to new ALL program with new 365 days (old program has 1 year)
26 Jan 2020 Fixing [s t r i k e ] to [ s ] issue caused by 20 Jan 2020 software downgrade to formatting
01 Jul 2020 EY platinum status miles do not expire
21 Jul 2020 AC Expiry due to non activity was 12 months. Now 18 months
12 Aug 2020 Added AF/KLM link
26 Sep 2020 Added VS points now do not expire
26 Sep 2020 Updated LATAM to point out horrible change to hard expiration (at least for USA and European based members)
04 Oct 2020 Formatting improvements
31 Oct 2020 Updated link to QF T&Cs
28 Nov 2020 Added link for BA
09 Feb 2021 Added link for CX
18 Apr 2021 Added that HA miles no longer expire
07 Aug 2021 Updated link to AC T&C
21 Dec 2021 QR from hard expiry to 36 months if no activity. ITA Airways added
5 May 2022 Hilton clock expanded to 24 mos.
Print Wikipost

Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Will not be clear to newbies. Need to simply state with "hard" expiry miles/points have a fixed life (no exceptions). There are often threads in the forums with hard expiry by people surprised about this and asking how to extend or use before the miles/points are gone for ever. Hard expiry is good to these ffp's:- the liability is gone.
Take a look at the rephrasing I did in the wiki (the explanation of "hard" is now in bold), and see if you think it's clear enough now for newbies.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Take a look at the rephrasing I did in the wiki (the explanation of "hard" is now in bold), and see if you think it's clear enough now for newbies.
OK. Is better now
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
The new format for hard expiry works better.

Added Emirates, which has a wierd 3 years plus birth month rule.

Last edited by tangey; Oct 2, 2015 at 7:43 am
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Added Singapore Krisflyer and South African Voyager.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 19, 2015 at 8:22 am
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Added link to AA T & C.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Added Aeromexico, Air Canada, and Flying Blue (Air France/KLM).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:39 pm

Didn't take long for this to take on a life of its own, which is brilliant. By the time the OP gets to 90days/90 posts, there might not be anything left for him to add.

I enlarged the fonts of the non-expiring and expiry headings to make things a bit clearer.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by tangey
Didn't take long for this to take on a life of its own, which is brilliant. By the time the OP gets to 90days/90 posts, there might not be anything left for him to add.

I enlarged the fonts of the non-expiring and expiry headings to make things a bit clearer.
Yeah, I"m really happy the way this took off! Thanks to everyone for their contributions.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Added Alitalia, Asia Miles (Cathay), and El Al.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
I also just checked Marriott's page and it seems to say that points earned via social media, i.e. tweeting and stuff, don't count as "earning" towards keeping your miles from expiring. We might want to put it in the wiki, as that's technically earning activity (you do get more miles/points) but not activity that can prolong the life of your miles. I'm not sure if other hotels also do social media promotions (I've only seen marriott do them) or what their rules would be, but maybe for some hotels/airlines we should put in some details about what exactly counts as "earning"?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
I also just checked Marriott's page and it seems to say that points earned via social media, i.e. tweeting and stuff, don't count as "earning" towards keeping your miles from expiring. We might want to put it in the wiki, as that's technically earning activity (you do get more miles/points) but not activity that can prolong the life of your miles.
I did the Marriott entry, I was careful to only list the ways that Marriott specifically mention, which is STAY, REDEEM, CREDIT CARD.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:38 am

I made a request that this thread be made a sticky. Given that virtually all the info is in the wiki, and that after an initial surge of posting/updating to populate the wiki with data, this thread would probably not see regular updates, I felt that it would be a shame if this info got lost once it started to drop down the forum. It is info that will be useful to many FTers, that doesn't exist in a collated form elsewhere on FT.

So, great to see the Mod has agreed, and we are now a sticky.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Added Hawaiian, Iberia, and Virgin America.

With that, all of the (USA) Amex Membership Rewards transfer partners are now on the list.

Please note: BA and Iberia both use Avios, but separate Avios systems, and Iberia has a different expiration activity policy than BA, in that BA counts transfers but Iberia explicitly excludes them.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Looking under IHG's Account Status & Activity, I don't seem to find where my expiry date is?

(Club level)
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Looking under IHG's Account Status & Activity, I don't seem to find where my expiry date is?

(Club level)
Many programs unfortunately do not show when you expiry date is. That's why this thread exists. The Wiki explains that your expiry is 1 year from your last IHG Club Rewards activity. Unfortunately, the IHG website only shows the last 180 days of activity, not the last year. It does show a calendar year-to-date of points earned, but that's not the "last year" either (except once a year).

So you either have to keep track of it manually, or have activity every 180 days or more often, so that you can see it by pulling up your last 180 days of activity.

(Those in the US have both the Chase IHG Club with its "net negative" annual fee, and IHG Club Dining, to make it easy to avoid inactivity. But based on other posts of yours, it seems you may be based in Canada, and if so those options may not available to you. I suggest you add your location to your FT Profile so that people can take where you're based into account when the answer to a question is different depending on where you're based.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 18, 2015 at 8:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.