Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP! I need xx EQM / EQD / EQS by xx/yy/20zz / end of year - master thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help! I need ....... by a certain date / the end of the year / to (re)qualify.

See here for the 2019-2020 thread.

Earning status:

Link to AAdvantage status requirements page on AA.com

Link to AAdvantage status benefits page on AA.com

If you have not received a buy back offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

You must earn the requisite Elite Qualifying Miles or flown Elite Qualifying Segments in one calendar year as well as earning the requisite Elite Qualifying Dollar spend. That earns status for the remainder of the current and the following status years: earn during 2017, status persists through 31 Jan 2019. You must fly to earn; There’s no way to earn EQ instruments for yourself flying someone else or no-showing for a purchased flight.

See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Renewing status:

AA once used to offer "grace" if one was just short of achieving status, particularly if one was reachieving, by earning Elite Qualifying Miles or Segments; that hasn't been the case in recent years. Choices are:

1) Requalifying, but just missing the goal? AA has the buyback / renew / boost program, enabling you to purchase back status if you fall short of requalifying by stipulated levels.

2018 Buyback / Renew / Boost Program for Status year 2019[/URL][/B][/U].

NOTES:

• Flights flown as marketed by AA (AA codeshare) earn as if one is flying AA. (It doesn't matter where one purchased the ticketed - the word "marketed" doesn't mean where you purchased the ticket.) But watch those Basic Economy fares!

• Through flights with a single flight number such as MIA-PHX-SFO will count as a single segment and only earn miles as if flown MIA-SFO.

• One no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American Airlines or American Eagle to qualify for AAdvantage status within the qualifying year. (AA marketed / AA codeshares do count for this. This requirement no longer is in effect, but there is a minimum dollar spend requirement -MQD - as well as EQM or EQS.)

• EQMs do not include class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonuses, other participant miles, any other AAdvantage bonus mileage, or miles obtained from BuyMiles, GiftMiles or the offer you get when buying a ticket or checking in.

• If you were involuntarily rerouted losing EQM / EQS, you might want to read FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (consolidated)

• Two AAdvantage credit cards award EQM for high annual spenders: Citi Executive card and the Barclaycard Aviator Silver offer EQM at certain spend points, and the latter offers EQD offset. See your current card benefits for the amounts. (These are merely for status purposes, not Million Miler, etc.) The Barclaycard Aviator cards also award EQD credit.

• AA has introduced new "Basic Fares"; be aware of many restrictions.

Guide to AAdvantage elite status (requirements and benefits) on aa.com

Some links to resources and tools:

Use tools available (Google Flights, ITA Matrix by Google, etc.) to find flights for "mileage runs" or "segment runs" to complete status requirements. There are threads (and aa.com pages) that explain how many EQM you earn on AA and partners' flights

Link to Google Flights (put in the origin only, add your restrictions such as airline or alliances)

Link to FT-AA Thread "Using Google Flights for American Airlines flight searches"

Link to Google ITA Matrix (flights and rules finder)

Link to Innosked oneworld interactive network map and timetable

Link to Great Circle Mapper (miles and distance calculations)

Link to FT Mileage Run Deals forum

Link to FT Premium Fare Deals forum

Link to FT Mileage Run Discussion forum[/B]

For the 2016 thread, please see:

ARCHIVE: 2016 "HELP! I need xx EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" master thread

For the 2015 thread, please see:

ARCHIVE: 2015 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" thread

The transaction date is what AA counts for account activity purposes, not the posting date.

Be aware of the difference between the kinds of miles we are discussing.

Those concerned about earning of retaining status are seeking Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) to earn in the current calendar year. For that or EQ Segments, see 2016 "I'll be short EQM / EQS for status this year?" & related status earning qq

Others are looking for Award or Redeemable Miles (RDM) which can be spent on various awards and earned in various ways - flying, buying, gifting and even using. Your account redeemable (previously occasionally called "prize-eligible" by AA) miles will remain usable for a period of eighteen months after your last account activity - this can be earning miles in any way, flying or even via using your AA-linked credit card, purchasing miles or renting a car with an AA partner, or using miles by gifting them, donating to charity. To prevent your account from lapsing, you must have account activity in the period of 18 months.

AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit.
The full AAdvantage Terms and Conditions may be read here, including information on earning, spending and reinstatement possibilities for lapsed miles.

A very few of the more popular ways of earning miles, other than actually flying, include:
● using Barclays, CitiBank and American Express cards linked to AAdvantage; see the AA credit cards page here. There are several threads that can be found on this Forum using the Search function.

● in the USA, signing up for AAdvantage Dining here

● shopping via the AA shopping portal - read about and link to portal here (iTunes for a few miles)

● buying, gifting or sharing AA miles - read more here
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP! I need xx EQM / EQD / EQS by xx/yy/20zz / end of year - master thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:31 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

Welcome to the "I need XXX miles by XXX date" for 2015 and onward.

The obsolete threads with previous requests and queries about earning miles are here:
"Help, I need xxx Miles" and "by xxx" (consolidated - archival)
Help: I need XXX miles by XXX date (2012 onward - Consolidated)

Please see the thread wiki for mileage-earning suggestions from our members! ^

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 25, 2015 at 8:24 am Reason: update
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:37 pm

Need 12,000 Points [miles] for Award

I ran across two business class award seats from SYD-LAX in November and immediately put them on a 5 day hold with AA. I'm waiting on a statement to close with a 50K bonus on the AA Citibank Business card and will put my account within 12,000 miles of the 125,000 miles I need for an award.

So I have a few options. I can buy the points for ~$500 which I think is probably worth it. My partner has about 6,000 points that we can "share" to my account for $95. Then I would just need to buy 6,000 for about $122.

Anyways, to get to the point does anyone have any better ideas?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"So I have a few options. I can buy the points for ~$500 which I think is probably worth it. My partner has about 6,000 points that we can "share" to my account for $95. Then I would just need to buy 6,000 for about $122."

If you can buy 6,000 AA miles for $122, why would it cost you "~$500" to buy 12,000 miles?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:58 pm

$410 actually.

$354 for the miles, $26.55 Excise Tax, $30 processing fee.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Miles are $177 for 6k and $354 for 12k before taxes and fees.

Not much you can do in 5 days except a transfer from another program, however even that's a stretch in that time frame.

Paying $354 for 2 business class to Australia sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:01 pm

@dsm2m2 that is pretty much where I'm at.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by whoknew89
$410 actually.

$354 for the miles, $26.55 Excise Tax, $30 processing fee.
What? Is this one of those rare times when they don't have a sale or bonus offer on miles?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
What? Is this one of those rare times when they don't have a sale or bonus offer on miles?
AA is running a promo right now but the minimum purchase is 20,000 miles to receive a bonus of 7,000.

Well beyond what the OP needs.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
An off topic post about award holds has been removed. Please be sure to stay on topic, as required by FlyerTalk Rules.

~Moderator
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:22 am

Quick way to get 13 points on AA?

Hey all, I'm 13 miles short of the miles needed to book a fare on AA, and wondering if there's any way to get a few miles in a hurry? I've already got two outstanding tranfers (HHonors and Hertz) that would cover it, but they're SLOW and who knows when the points will actually show up...

So, any ideas? I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything very positive. Thanks...
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:35 am

Buy them?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Quick way to get 13 points on AA?

$27 or $28 ... Purchase miles
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
$27 or $28 ... Purchase miles
Ya, I went in and tried to book the fare - and yes, $29 for 1000 miles, plus a $30 transfer fee - and they say it takes up to 72 hours to get the miles into my 48 hour fare hold :|

I guess nothing's easy, eh? Ok. Thanks...
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:13 am

"Ya, I went in and tried to book the fare - and yes, $29 for 1000 miles, plus a $30 transfer fee - and they say it takes up to 72 hours to get the miles into my 48 hour fare hold :|"

I thought AA mileage holds are 5 days. I don't follow the 48 hours. Another option, which does have a little bit of risk, is to cancel the existing reservation and immediately rebook it again. It restarts the clock and establishes a new hold expiration date. Perhaps that would yield enough time for the transfers to hit.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Haven't purchased miles from AA, but when I purchased them from US through points.com, they posted close to immediately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.