Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

UNITED, 940,000 MILES and counting

UNITED, 940,000 MILES and counting

Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by googs185
I disagree. I think United miles are great. My wife and I went on our month-long honeymoon in January. We were able to fly direct EWR --> NRT then
NRT--> CHC direct, CHC--> SYD direct (paid flight $200 each for open jaw), SYD-->RAR direct then RAR-->AUK direct and finally AUK-->LAX-->EWR. All this for 160,000 and $400 in fees. This is incredible value as all those flights would have probably cost $10,000 or more.
Are those Business class rewards ????
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:32 pm

and here I am looking at my 100K balance like I'm something. hahaha
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: GE, UA silver, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by djtsukasa
and here I am looking at my 100K balance like I'm something. hahaha
Yeah, me too. But thinking that it's OK, cause none of mine is work-related..... <smile>
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by josephstern
For clarity, are you talking about redeemable miles, or lifetime miles?
Originally Posted by npei
OP refers to lifetime status miles [earned by flying eqm], not redeemable miles [rdm] which can be obtained through non-flying methods like credit card spend [e.g. Mfg spend techniques]
OP never actually confirmed. Some people do incorrectly think just having 1mm RDM in their acount is the same as flying 1mm. This type of mileage hoarder gets screwed in each deval.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by wise2u
not if he's trying to get to Hawaii....every business class award I can find for the next year (from DFW) has "mixed cabin" with the long segment only available in coach...I refuse to believe that all the first class seats to Hawaii are sold a year in advance....it's just UA making your points useless for that particular award....cant wait to go to Europe and finally burn some of these horribly useless points...I have had over 150k for a few years and cant find a good use for them, even with their hub so close award routings are always unavailable, overnight connections, 2+ stops with the worst choices of any of the major airlines....do you have to have status to get a decent award route?
Sadly, this has been the case since almost forever with (pm)UA, and not just for the premium cabins. At the beginning of the Mileage Plus program, it wasn't so, but immediately, HNL etc. were the highest demand award travel. First, they increased the RDM requirement, then they added availability restrictions. An early frequent flyer Pogo situation. Alas.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sfsilverbear
SFO and LAX based, anyone see any deals so I can top this off,within the next 6 months? i'm retired so have lots of time.
Thanks
I achieved lifetime platinum on AA years ago. I reached 2,000,000 miles back when ALL miles earned were counted, not just actual flight miles. It was such a great feeling when it happened which I'm sure you'll experience as well.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
Sadly, this has been the case since almost forever with (pm)UA, and not just for the premium cabins. At the beginning of the Mileage Plus program, it wasn't so, but immediately, HNL etc. were the highest demand award travel. First, they increased the RDM requirement, then they added availability restrictions. An early frequent flyer Pogo situation. Alas.
same reason devaluations happen. airline cobrand credit card competitors offer larger sign up bonuses and multipliers, everyone on a macro level gets more points, everyone spends the points, points systems get devalued. then the cycle continues.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:31 pm

Managed to complete a neat scenario this week:
1. Last year i achieved United lifetime gold. Merger with Continental was huge for me as I had a lot of United/Lufthansa flights in First to Europe in my history and all the bonuses got converted to lifetime miles since that was what Continental did.
2. Made my wife my companion with Gold.
3. Got a status match for my wife on Alaska so when she flies to Hawaii she can get exit rows and free bags. Applied on October 1 so it would be effective for the rest of 2015 and all of 2016.
4. The Alaska status will then be honored by American so she can also get exit rows and free bags on American for the rest of this year and 2016.

Agree with some of the posters that it is becoming increasingly difficult to use United miles, especially if you want the lower priced tickets. However, for us, exit rows and free bags are a great benefit as we take long trips several times a yearso we have a lot of checked bags.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: Lotz
My theory is points are actually harder to get now since earnings are so far less. Therefore points become more valuable as there's less competition for reward seats.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
My theory is points are actually harder to get now since earnings are so far less. Therefore points become more valuable as there's less competition for reward seats.
I agree and I've been hoping to see this play out, but I can't really say I have so far. Might just be too soon.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by tassojunior
True in theory, but UA controls award seat availability. Over the past 12+ months I've noticed they keep it very tight until the last minute, effectively limiting the redemption value to a very low level for anyone who needs to plan their travel in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.