Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2015

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2015

Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Best Western deal finally sold out? It was available until a couple of days ago at least.

Yes, I did buy a bunch of the BW packages.
I did the limit - five. Will use the points in 2016 when I go to Yellowstone.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Best Western deal finally sold out? It was available until a couple of days ago at least.

Yes, I did buy a bunch of the BW packages.
Originally Posted by eajusa
I did the limit - five. Will use the points in 2016 when I go to Yellowstone.
How do you make the math work?

I happened to be looking at Yellowstone accommodations last week, too -- perhaps the best place in the USA to use BW points.

But the math just didn't work.

I think the motels near the park are 28,000 points. That means, at DailyGetaways prices, you're paying about $150/room.

Now that MIGHT be cheaper than the actual room rates, but paying $150 to stay at a BW near Yellowstone isn't the deal of a lifetime. I think you're much better off staying in a cheap cabin/room IN the park for that price (admittedly, it takes effort: book far in advance, or pick up the cancellations as they come in closer to travel date). And if you're not willing to put in that effort, you can go on Kayak and find a decent motel near Yellowstone for about $150 (especially a non-chain motel). No prepayment necessary.

And Yellowstone is one of the BETTER places to use BW points. That's the problem with that promo -- they sell the points for too much money. A comparable Choice hotel would cost about $75 on points. Which is why Choice points sell fast and BW points don't.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
How do you make the math work?

I happened to be looking at Yellowstone accommodations last week, too -- perhaps the best place in the USA to use BW points.

But the math just didn't work.

I think the motels near the park are 28,000 points. That means, at DailyGetaways prices, you're paying about $150/room.

Now that MIGHT be cheaper than the actual room rates, but paying $150 to stay at a BW near Yellowstone isn't the deal of a lifetime. I think you're much better off staying in a cheap cabin/room IN the park for that price (admittedly, it takes effort: book far in advance, or pick up the cancellations as they come in closer to travel date). And if you're not willing to put in that effort, you can go on Kayak and find a decent motel near Yellowstone for about $150 (especially a non-chain motel). No prepayment necessary.
I simply don't like the cabins in the park. Nor do I want to stay in a motel. I want the amenities that the BW hotels offer.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
I simply don't like the cabins in the park. Nor do I want to stay in a motel. I want the amenities that the BW hotels offer.
If you have a strong preference for the BW, you will save money over their published rates, which are over $200/night -- perhaps the highest motel prices in the USA. There seems to be a significant shortage of motel rooms in the Yellowstone area in summer.

Did you try buying Choice points? I've used those in the area before, and the cost is about half what BW charges. Wyndham points are also a better deal, but they didn't sell them this year.

Local B&B's -- which are often bad deals in America compared to hotels -- would also charge less than BW and deliver better value.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:32 pm

If you have a strong preference for the BW, you will save money over their published rates, which are over $200/night -- perhaps the highest motel prices in the USA.
There may be some Best Western outlets that are motels. I do not stay at any motels, though. I am only interested in the Best Western hotels. The BW near Yellowstone include as amenities: free airport shuttle, complimentary breakfast, hot tub, high speed Internet, and pool. They have nice lobbies, and one even includes a game room. I see that there is one Choice property, a Comfort Inn, starting at $205/night or 30,000 points/night during the Summer months. The Daily Getaways Deal a few weeks ago would mean the price would be about $130/night if you bought the Comfort Inn deal they offered. That is only $20 more than the BW deal, and is no where near the double you suggest; nor is the Choice deal $75, but $130. In 2013 I was stuck in St. Louis due to the plane crash at LGA. AA got me a distressed traveler voucher so I could stay in a hotel overnight as my rescheduled flight was the next day. They put me in a Comfort Inn. I hated the place. Have no interest in staying at one again.

Last edited by eajusa; Apr 23, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=eajusa;24706082They put me in a Comfort Inn. I hated the place. Have no interest in staying at one again.[/QUOTE]

Choice Hotels is a very diverse chain. Their worst properties are probably worse than the worst Best Westerns, but their best properties are better (Ascend Collection and some European hotels). They also have a good partnership with Preferred Hotels for luxury hotels. As long as you always consult tripadvisor reviews before booking, it's nearly impossible to be disappointed at what you get, since you'll have a good idea of what to expect (like don't book Choice hotels that get fewer than 3 1/2 stars). I would love to buy BW points, too -- the more hotel choices one has the better. But if you realistically compare the cost of points to actual room rates, you'll see that BW stays cost almost twice what Choice stays cost when bought through DailyGetaways.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by James Fleming
We scored a daily getaway deal last year for the Mirage. I thought that to be fantastic value (4 nights in a suite, VIP black card status, 3 x dinners at $500 each, 2 x VIP seating to Cirque and Terry Fator, 2 x massages and a limo transfer) for $1600 or so. We had an absolute blast.

Managed to win 1 of the 6 packages for the Bellagio this time around. Woop!
Nice! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I won one of the Mirage this year and negotiated an upgrade to the Penthouse suite for $100 a night. Going in a couple weeks. Can't wait!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:54 pm

Interesting Comparison
http://travel.usnews.com/rankings/tr...ce-privileges/

http://travel.usnews.com/rankings/tr...stern-rewards/
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In this context, of course, this ranking is meaningless. The question is how much you can buy the points for, not the "quality" of the program. You could have the greatest loyalty program in the world, but if you're going to sell those points for too much money on DailyGetaways, no one is going to care.

Like most flyertalkers, I have little experience with BW's loyalty program because there's no real way to "game" it. And since they sell points expensively, few buy them. The Choice program is pretty gameable (no extra charge for room upgrades at many hotels, underpriced point requirements at some hotels), so most of the people who do buy Choice points keep coming back for more (making it harder to buy them here).
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:18 pm

In this context, of course, this ranking is meaningless. The question is how much you can buy the points for, not the "quality" of the program.
You just hit the nail on the head. The crux of the issue for me is getting quality. The costs difference I noted in post 65 for a room in Yellowstone does not bother me. If you are content with your choice of frequent guest program, I am happy for you and anyone else who gets what they prefer. I have no interest in telling you otherwise. My preference is different. Our freedom of choice is what makes America a great place to live. Here is to your freedom. Cheers!

Last edited by eajusa; Apr 24, 2015 at 1:29 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In this context, of course, this ranking is meaningless. The question is how much you can buy the points for, not the "quality" of the program. You could have the greatest loyalty program in the world, but if you're going to sell those points for too much money on DailyGetaways, no one is going to care.

Like most flyertalkers, I have little experience with BW's loyalty program because there's no real way to "game" it. And since they sell points expensively, few buy them. The Choice program is pretty gameable (no extra charge for room upgrades at many hotels, underpriced point requirements at some hotels), so most of the people who do buy Choice points keep coming back for more (making it harder to buy them here).
BW's loyalty program has some real ways to "game" it for hotel stay purposes too. I bought a large number of BW points and was again going to buy more at the start of this week.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BW's loyalty program has some real ways to "game" it for hotel stay purposes too. I bought a large number of BW points and was again going to buy more at the start of this week.
What redemptions do you find interesting?

I've looked at it every year, but the math doesn't add up for me. Which is a shame, because I'd like to buy BW points -- since more lodging choices are always better than fewer.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
What redemptions do you find interesting?

How do you game BW?

I've looked at it every year, but the math doesn't add up for me. Which is a shame, because I'd like to buy BW points -- since more lodging choices are always better than fewer.
This is a good question for 2016.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:28 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

For 2016, please coninue the discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ys-2016-a.html

MileageAddict

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.