Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
All the offers are posted now.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
Does anyone know what merchant category the Daily Getaways show up as?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The really good value has been mostly sucked out of this, but I still like the $50 Alamo certificates for $25, especially since it's trivially easy at times to stack ~$20 of WN WGA fare value on top of an Alamo rental.
Do these provide good value too? Did Alamo quote a higher price according to the certificate code and then you apply the certificate? I bought three of these today thinking I can apply them to an existing Alamo reservation which I already reserved at a really low rate. I'm having buyer remorse
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssung
Do these provide good value too? Did Alamo quote a higher price according to the certificate code and then you apply the certificate? I bought three of these today thinking I can apply them to an existing Alamo reservation which I already reserved at a really low rate. I'm having buyer remorse
The Alamo certs are good when there's no other promo code to use: like maybe half the time. They generally work with their lowest published rates. And, unless they've changed the rules, you can use up to 3 in one rez.

I've used several of these in the past. You never know what will be the best deal on any particular car rental, and this is another good option to have. That said, I used to pay a little less for these certs. I guess it was the AMEX discount. At only half off, I've bought only one so far. I'm thinking of maybe getting another.

Sadly, the Alamo deal is probably one of the better deals available to the savvy flyertalker, and that's not saying a lot. Most of the deals are pretty useless, especially if you're USA-based and do any MS. Like folks will be madly clicking for the tiny number of Hyatt points for sale. This is one of the better deals available; most of the points for sale on Daily Getaways are too expensive for most redemptions. But, with very modest effort, I can gin up more Hyatt points anytime I want for less money than what they're selling them on Daily Getaways. So that is one lottery I don't need to win.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
I didn't think the Alamo deal would sell out, was gonna buy another one
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by ssung
I have used them on existing reservations twice in the past just by calling. The nice thing is when they reduce the price of the reservation it reduces the fees - so the -$50 in some cases became -$60.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
The Alamo certs are good when there's no other promo code to use: like maybe half the time. They generally work with their lowest published rates. And, unless they've changed the rules, you can use up to 3 in one rez.

I've used several of these in the past. You never know what will be the best deal on any particular car rental, and this is another good option to have. That said, I used to pay a little less for these certs. I guess it was the AMEX discount. At only half off, I've bought only one so far. I'm thinking of maybe getting another.

Sadly, the Alamo deal is probably one of the better deals available to the savvy flyertalker, and that's not saying a lot. Most of the deals are pretty useless, especially if you're USA-based and do any MS. Like folks will be madly clicking for the tiny number of Hyatt points for sale. This is one of the better deals available; most of the points for sale on Daily Getaways are too expensive for most redemptions. But, with very modest effort, I can gin up more Hyatt points anytime I want for less money than what they're selling them on Daily Getaways. So that is one lottery I don't need to win.
Thanks for your input iahphx!

Originally Posted by bj2757
I have used them on existing reservations twice in the past just by calling. The nice thing is when they reduce the price of the reservation it reduces the fees - so the -$50 in some cases became -$60.
THANKS!! good to know that this is possible!!! THANKS!!^
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bj2757
Right -- that's the "trick" with these. If an airport has a 20% fee for this, and a 15% fee for that, your $50 can save you $67.50. It doesn't help you with FIXED fees (like $6/day airport charge).

I'm actually surprised the car rental companies don't "make a living" selling vouchers. It would be a good way for them to get around the usurious airport car rental taxes.

EDIT: The Alamo certs are now sold out.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frequentmiler has a good summary of the Daily Getaways offers. I agree with most everything he says. There really isn't a heck of a lot these days, but there are a few things that have some value to some travelers.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...getaways-2015/
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist

Mommy Points explains further here: http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...ints-and-more/

Deal or No Deal?

I have never used this deal, but I know others have with success. They seem to be most useful if you are renting at a location that frequently doesn’t allow for other discount codes or promotional rates anyway (Alaska has been mentioned before), or if you just want to keep your car rental deals simple. Saving 50% off a car rental certainly can be a good deal, if you aren’t forgoing a similar amount of savings elsewhere without locking yourself into Alamo.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Frequentmiler has a good summary of the Daily Getaways offers. I agree with most everything he says. There really isn't a heck of a lot these days, but there are a few things that have some value to some travelers.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...getaways-2015/
Thanks for link. Article really helped me to decide what to do.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Mommy Points explains further here: http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...ints-and-more/
I've found that if you use the certificates one at a time on the Alamo website, you can use them with ANY Alamo discount code + Alamo Insider discount. My favorite one is the WN Alamo code, so I'm generating $19 in WGA kickback on a two day rental, $27 on a four day rental...

And yes, they do reduce fees by more than $50 if you do it right.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Is it known from experience if rentals using the upcoming Avis one-day vouchers will be eligible to earn points/miles? I'm looking to use them to earn Avios, if possible. The AWDs and coupons I've used don't. Thank you.

Last edited by Firewind; Apr 6, 2015 at 4:30 am
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
"Leftovers"

https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/OffersList.aspx

...Mostly the lux ones.

ETA: And a lot - all? - of the IHG ones, still.

Last edited by Firewind; Apr 6, 2015 at 11:48 am
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:53 am

Scored - though that sounds like hyperbole in the event - the Avis one-day, despite twice dealing with a gummed-up wifi signal that timed me out across 10 minutes. And they were available yet. I know, the deal’s not very special, but it's comparable to other AWDs. (Plus, at the suburban location where I use them, they don't seem to fully get the voucher procedure. They give the discounted rate but don't seem to tell Groupon, LivingSocial et al, so it's always Groundhog Day there.)

Last edited by Firewind; Apr 6, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.