Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worthless miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Worthless miles

Why do we bother? Tried to book a flight and upgrade on United flights two months out. There were no 1st class seats booked; also NONE available for upgrade. I called and all a rep could tell me was that they were in it to make a profit.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Worthless miles

Vote with your wallet.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hc52tx
...There were no 1st class seats booked...
How do you know? The airline knows the history of the route and the probability of selling first class seats.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

I know because the UA website still shows all of 1st class available. I went ahead and booked SW.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I know because the UA website still shows all of 1st class available.
Those are seat assignments, not sales. Many people purchase tickets without choosing seats until nearer the time of travel.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You didn't mention what flight. With the exception (AA only?) of when an upgrade class is the exact same booking code (A in AA's case) as a discount-first class (on domestic 2-class planes), finding upgrades that will clear at the moment of booking can be very tough on any airline. Most people have to either "trust" or "risk" that they'll get miles upgrades if they go an upgrade waitlist. Often an airline will open upgrade availability only "momentarily", to the point that if you weren't waitlisted for the upgrade, you're not likely to ever see it.

Unfortunately, IIRC, United charges the co-pay (or requires booking higher-cost fares) for a miles upgrade at the time of booking, whether or not you end up getting upgraded. AA, by contrast, doesn't charge the co-pay unless/until your upgrade actually goes through, and allows upgrades from most any fare. So putting yourself on a miles+co-pay upgrade waitlist at AA is not quite as (financially) "dangerous" as doing it at UA (unless UA has recently changed their miles upgrade requirements and processing).
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Why do we bother? Tried to book a flight and upgrade on United flights two months out. There were no 1st class seats booked; also NONE available for upgrade. I called and all a rep could tell me was that they were in it to make a profit.
Lol, no first class seats 2 months out. I'm shocked.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Originally Posted by dukerau
Lol, no first class seats 2 months out. I'm shocked.
+1 ....
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
OP must be new to the redemption game. But yep, the UA rep was right, they're in it to make a profit, though probably best not to toss that out to an angry customer.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Why do we bother?
Because many of us have been doing this long enough to know that availability on one airline on one flight for a product very unlikely to be available at this point isn't enough to condemn the entire FF business process.

If I called now to get a room in PHX for Super Bowl weekend, I wouldn't write off the entire concept of hotels as a sham.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:02 am

Good FF Results for 2015

I have booked three roundtrips on United using miles for later in 2015. One trip was booked 337 days in advance of travel, while the others 9 to 10 months in advance.

While I didn't always receive my first choice of departures, the available choices were adequate for our needs.

Similarly, I also booked three roundtrips on Southwest, admittedly an easier task, and one on Alaska.

Fairly good results.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
So you can't use miles to fly in first class so you book Southwest? Isn't that like cutting off your nose to spite your face?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good that you could find F availability on WN. I never can.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
UA has gotten really bad over the past 12-18 months with tightening up award availability. I seldom see saver awards on the routes I want except at undesirable times of the day, even months in advance. AA award availability has been significantly better every time. Hope US doesn't destroy that....
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:32 pm

American has always been good for me.

Delta & United not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.