Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Worthless miles

Worthless miles

Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Erik_KSU
I was going to book a flight on United with United miles the other day and needed 2k more for my ticket. I booked the flight for both my girlfriend and myself and after I bought the extra miles for me, I realized that I couldn't pay for her ticket with a credit card and mine with points in the same transaction, so I ended up just paying for everything with the credit card. Does anyone know if I can get a refund for the 2k points I purchased from United?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Erik_KSU.

No, you cannot get a refund on buying miles (United uses miles, not points). But I presume you will need those miles again in the future, so you'll have 2k extra then. Just make sure you know how to keep them expiring.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: Several dozen
However, if you bought Skymiles, the IRS does allow you to write off a worthless asset to create a tax savings.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Erik_KSU.

No, you cannot get a refund on buying miles (United uses miles, not points). But I presume you will need those miles again in the future, so you'll have 2k extra then. Just make sure you know how to keep them expiring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.